Survey shows iPod mini is the right size for most | iLounge News

Survey shows iPod mini is the right size for most

“The online survey found that 90 percent of consumers have no more than 1,000 songs on their PCs. And 77 percent of the consumers Jupiter questioned said they’d be interested in purchasing a portable media player with a capacity of 1,000 songs. The 4GB hard drive included in Apple Computer’s iPod Mini, and in MP3 players from some Apple rivals, holds roughly that number of songs.

The Jupiter Research survey also found that 20 percent of consumers said playing MP3 files is important, versus 7 percent who would prefer files in Microsoft’s WMA format and fewer than 1 percent who prefer the Advanced Audio Coding format, an open standard that was developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group and which is supported on Apple’s iTunes music store.”

« How the iTunes Music Store and FairPlay works

Troubleshooting the iPod and iPod mini »

Comments

“Average Person: < 1000 songs.

Music Lover: > 1000 Songs”

I couldn’t have said it better myself…I have over 2600 songs, and I have only had my 20GB iPod for 3 months.

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on April 23, 2004 at 11:02 PM (CDT)

Bravo, giles, that was very thoughtfully written.  I agree that the “size” of one’s “music collection” should have little or no bearing on the degree to which one is a lover of music.

Posted by nionlights on April 24, 2004 at 12:08 AM (CDT)

My dad still listens to vinyls. He’s obviously not a music afficionado, or even a true music lover for that matter, because he listens to such a “lossy” format. I mean he’s not even in the same league as the guy who encodes his music at 320 kbps, whose musical ear demands absolute perfection. I mean, everyone knows it doesn’t matter what kind of music one listens to…its the quantity of it on your hard drive & how it is encoded! DUH!

btw, how do i rank with 3700 songs @ 192 kbps? Am I an audiophile yet, or do i need more songs? please tell me I am, so I can make fun of people’s insuperior musical taste like people on this thread do!!

Posted by matt on April 24, 2004 at 2:09 AM (CDT)

The point of having all your songs on the iPod is so you can listen to ANYTHING you want to at ANYTIME. An example of that is when your out and have a song come into your head, all you have to do is turn on the iPod and listen.

Posted by 1 on April 24, 2004 at 4:43 AM (CDT)

“surely everything is lossy anyway? cds are lossy….what do you want? the pure soundwaves hand crafted by the performers to be delicately placed inside your brain?”

No of course not there is a loss in quality going from the masters to CD’s PCM encoding. But you can avoid any further losses by encoding the CDDA PCM data in a compressed, lossless format.

Your “strategy” of encoding into AAC just introduces more compression artifacts into your data.

Understand this - every time you perform a psychoacoustical transform on source data and save the output data you are dealing with generational loss. Instead of the pristine elegance of digital coding you are now digitally simulating tape-to-tape generational loss.

Now, that loss may not be easily apparent to you on a single generation, but it does grow.

Suppose Apple change to another format in a few years. Or you want to re-encode at a lower bitrate using another lossy transform.

Each time you do a lossy transform you introduce more distortion into the sound data. So it becomes more likely that even the dullest of ears will eventually perceive the loss in quality.

Posted by LossyLovers on April 24, 2004 at 10:07 AM (CDT)

yes lossylovers i completely understand the issues involved in compressing audio, but that really wasnt my point. i am saying that as long as it isnt really bad quality im none too fussed about the quality of the sound. there is no holy grail of sound quality. in having 192kbps mp3s i do not feel that my music is in any immediate risk of becoming obsolete and me having to change format. in any case i am happy with this quality and the size it takes up so why should i change format even if apple do? and i hardly see mp3s being incompatible any time soon.

it seems to me that people think cds are perfect audio…but no audio is perfect. i am just a person who doesnt want to waste my time worrying about the “quality”.

Posted by giles on April 24, 2004 at 11:36 AM (CDT)

Who the hell do they include in their surveys, anyways? I know at least 10 people with ipods, and we all have WAY over 1,000 songs.

I personally have just under 6,000 songs, and altho I dont need to carry my entire collection with me all the time, having the option to do so is definately a plus.

As someone said earlier, most if not ALL music lovers have well OVER 1,000 songs. Who are they surveying anyway?

Posted by ah ME mon on April 24, 2004 at 11:56 AM (CDT)

I wish I got the Mini. I got the iPod 15 GB in February of 2004 and since I live in Canada I didn’t get any news of the iPod Mini (I wasn’t signed up on this site at that time either). I defenitely have no need for all this space (although I guess I’ll fill it up eventually).

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on April 24, 2004 at 4:56 PM (CDT)

Laugh so now the definition of a music lover is someone with 1,000+ songs on their computer? Well first off I would say that most music lovers don’t put their songs on their computers so there goes your definition. Secondly there are “practical” people and “omg leet i have 20,000 songs on my computer” people. I fall under the first. I rip some CDs, and like 98% of the people in the world, I don’t like every song on the CD… so I DELETE them! The second type of person wouldn’t, because that would lower their song count now wouldn’t it! I have 673 songs on my mini atm… and you know what? I could listen to all 673 and like them almost the same, because I’ve gone through my 2,000 song collection and lowered it to near 1,000 just deleting stuff I don’t like.

Posted by widds on April 24, 2004 at 5:09 PM (CDT)

I actually have 1,000,000,000 songs spread over TWELVE 250 GB hard drives.  And being the total B.A. that I am, I have them all encoded at 320 kbps.  It’d take me 2,500,000 iPod minis to hold all my music.  You know why?  Because I’m a music lover.  I have a billion songs.  That means I love music a million times more than those suckers who can’t even fill up their iPod minis.  Hell, I don’t even have an iPod.  I’m waiting until the 5000 GB model comes out.  Feast on that, losers.

Posted by Tron on April 24, 2004 at 7:09 PM (CDT)

hey tron, you’re the tool who rips everything at 320 when 192 will suffice even the highest quality gear.

you rip at 320 for a portable? you lie on a website?

who’s the loser now?

and when did u rip all of this? 250gb model HDD’s havent been out long enough for you to rip all 1 billion songs.

get a life, and flame some place else.

Posted by Stasyna on April 24, 2004 at 10:07 PM (CDT)

laff obviously his post was sarcasm, and there is a definate difference between 192kbs and 320kbs if you have decent headphones/speakers and good hearing. big enough difference to warrent the size difference especially when dealing with the said player, ipod mini @ 4gb of space… upto the individual to decide :)

Posted by widds on April 24, 2004 at 10:27 PM (CDT)

Audio geek said:
??? Yet another stupid, judgemental statement. When are you guys going to understand what people like giles are trying to explain to you? A “music lover” is someone who loves music. Maybe they don’t steal music and have limited resources, so they can’t afford to buy 800 CDs. That doesn’t make them any less of a “music lover” than you and your l337 “6,000 songs.”

Most Music lovers like myself have been collecting music for YEARS, WAY before Napster and Kazaa. It’s since my “discovery” of mp3s, aac files and my ipod that I decided digitize most of THE MUSIC I OWN for easy transportation. I wont deny the fact that I HAVE downloaded music thru Kazza and/or Napster, but my legitimate collection of music far outnumbers my “grey” music collection.

Oh, and by the way…I used to be a full-time DJ. Now I do it as a hobby, for the occasional party and such using my laptop and an external hardrive. I own over 600-700 cd’s, vinyl records and casette tapes, last time i counted (maybe 5 years ago…?).

So who knows? Maybe I’m not a just “music lover.”

Posted by ah ME mon on April 25, 2004 at 3:55 PM (CDT)

Im so sick of listening to the stupid posters all huffy and puffy about not being able to be a serious music lover and collector of music. So they pass it off like owning 50 cds tnat THEY are STILL music lovers??? NOT!!!!!!!!!!! Get a life people, you never will get over 1000 songs because you CAN"T afford it, plus you dont care enough about music to anyways. YOU WILL NEVER BE MUSIC LOVERS PUNKS, OK!!!!!!!!!! read ah me mons post, and set that into your little puny mini brains.l

Posted by retribution time on April 25, 2004 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

That last post by ‘retribution time’ is pathetic. When will people like you realise that the number of records somebody owns does NOT measure their love for music? Diversity of music, yes, but not how much they like the records they have. I know many people with ‘small’ record collections who could quite easily argue that they love their top ten records just as much as someone with hundreds or thousands. My Grandad loves old jazz as passiontely as anyone but he’s hardly going to be constantly buying new records, is he? Several friends of mine now have young families and have stopped buying records in the same numbers as their youth. Does this mean they love their music less? No, it just means that new priorities mean they don’t have the time or money to invest as they used to.

Feel free to own hundreds or thousands of records (I’m jealous you have time to enjoy them all!) but please don’t think it makes you superior or a bigger fan of music. And it would be nice of you didn’t criticise those with a smaller number of records here.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on April 26, 2004 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

I am fucking surprised that anyone would even think that owning less than 1000 songs doesn’t allow you to be a music lover.
When I first started reading this thread I thought ‘Why are people even arguing over this.’
Listen to yourselves. Killing all those for having 1000 songs or less. I can’t believe that you guys are so ignorant as to think such a thing. Giles has already put it in better terms than I can.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on June 26, 2004 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2