SwitchEasy unveils CoverBuddy for iPad 2 | iLounge News

SwitchEasy unveils CoverBuddy for iPad 2

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, May 3, 2011
News Categories: iPad Accessories

image

SwitchEasy has unveiled its new CoverBuddy protective backing for the iPad 2. Made from hard polycarbonate, CoverBuddy is designed to work in conjunction with Apple’s iPad Smart Cover, and features either a durable, color-matched rubber coating (on the colored versions) or a scratch-resistant UV coating (on the clear version), and open access to the rear camera, speaker, microphone, and all other buttons and controls. SwitchEasy’s new CoverBuddy for the iPad 2 is available now in black, gray, blue, pink, or clear, and sells for $25.

« SK Telecom, KT halt online iPad 2 orders

Ambur delivers fully iOS-based restaurant management app »

Comments

I just ordered two (one for me, one for the wife). This is exactly what I was hoping to see for my iPad 2. I like my SmartCover and have seen a wave of cases/covers that do not allow for its use. SwitchEasy has been one of my best iPhone cases for years and now seems to be a solid iPad option as well. I am sure I will be pleased.

Posted by Mitch on May 3, 2011 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

I’ve ordered the SwitchEasy Canvas 2 for my iPad 2 on the recommendations of this very site.  It is an excellent case in of itself (also with the magnetic Smart Cover feature - that really is cool - just open the cover and Voila!  Your iPad is ready for use!  Also came with a screen film as well, and a pretty nice one at that).  In addition, it was only $10 more than the vinyl Smart Cover.

With that said, this is indeed very cool that they came up with something that will work in conjunction with the Smart Cover.  The Smart Cover is a decent option, although I thought it was overpriced for what you got, thus why I did not get one and got that Canvas 2 case instead.  However, if you already have one, than this here would be an excellent addition to the Smart Cover to give protection to the rest of the unit.  Would’ve been nice if they also included a screen film, though.

Plus, they are fast on the orders.  I’ve ordered my case and received it in something like 3 days!

Posted by SkiBumMSP on May 3, 2011 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

I know this is probably bordering on heresy, but why doesn’t Apple design products that don’t require protector screens, protective backs and fronts, etc.?  Why do they insist on using material that is easily scratched or broken (glass, anyone?!).  I know there is a 3rd-market party because Apple wants things to be pretty, but is it too much to ask that at Apple’s prices that their products be practical, as well?

Personally, every time I buy an i-this, I know I need to spend another $100 or more on protection, accessories, etc., all because Apple has provided the bare minimum protection and accessories.

Posted by jimmyBobSmith on May 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

@jimmyBobSmith
I guess I’m in the other camp on the whole thing.. I mean, the iPad is a tool, I figure who cares if it gets a few scratches on the bottom. The LAST thing I wanna do is actually add weight to it. Isn’t that the point of having an iPad 2, slim and lighter? I always figured the Smart Cover was all that anyone really ever needed. Personally, I don’t see the “easily scratched or broken” angle you’re coming from as all items I have from Apple have withstood a lot of abuse (the iPad Classic chrome backing is easily scratched yes, but that’s well, chrome.)

Posted by BB1970 on May 4, 2011 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

Wow. Super disappointing. Ordered 3 Cover Buddys, and they sent me 3 Nudes which don’t work with the iPad2 covers. Guess I’m arranging to send them back to Hong Kong…..and wait for the ones I ordered that are now out of stock. Awesome.

Posted by Cliff Stevenson on May 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I just received one of the two Cover Buddy’s I ordered last week. I got the black (gray on the way) and it fits and feels very good. It matches up nearly perfectly to my black SmartCover with only a small uncovered area around the hinge area where the magnets connect.

It does add a bit of bulk, but not so much that it is not worth the protection. Switcheasy remains one of my favorite case makers!

Posted by Mitch on May 10, 2011 at 4:37 AM (PDT)