T3 magazine features iPod AV concept | iLounge News

T3 magazine features iPod AV concept

The September issue of T3 magazine (UK) features an iPod AV mock-up created by DesignWorks Windsor.

“The video iPod will feature a massive 50GB hard disk and a gorgeous 4.6-inch widescreen colour display. You’ll be able to watch full-length movies that you’ve downloaded from the internet or copied from a DVD disc. That lovely screen will be touch-sensitive , keeping the number of buttons on the edge of the device down to a bare minimum. Plus, there’ll be integrated Bluetooth, giving you the ability to share files with other iPod owners .”

« CNET: MusicMatch, Dell to launch music stores

Dr. Mac: How The iPod & iTunes Changed My Life »

Comments

Small buttons on the side would be nicer.  i hate to clean finger prints on the screen all the time.

Posted by freezone on September 26, 2003 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

Why wait? They already have multimedia handhelds, often for less than an audio-only iPod!

RCA Lyra
Video! Nice and slim, but a bit wide.

Archos AV

“Calling the Archos AV320 an iPod on steroids is more than an understatement simply because the iPod is not yet in this class. Word is an iPod mediabox is in the works, but until that happens it is the iPod that aspires to be the Archos AV320.”

Posted by ArchosAV on September 26, 2003 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

I want to make out with that first picture.

Posted by Jesse Perry on September 26, 2003 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

I agree with Jesse.
lol

Posted by M@rK on September 26, 2003 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

cant those anti-ipod peepz get a life and giev your two cents WORTH!
We choose to buy the ipod cause we like it. If you don’t then fine! U ain gonna go to every commentbox and paste that damm link over again.

Posted by j.m on September 26, 2003 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

“U ain gonna go to every commentbox and paste that damm link over again.”

Posted by AintGonna on September 26, 2003 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

mini video players won’t work.  They’re nice and all, but who the hell is going to watch a bunch of videos on a tiny screen?  I’d say the cool factor would increase sales early on, but practicality sinking in would kill sales.

Posted by tetro on September 26, 2003 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

That is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my LIFE.

I would use it every day…I often convert videos for use with my Pocket PC, and when I’m lying in bed I watch downloaded things to get to sleep.  I would use it on airplanes, on trips when someone else was driving…I would find excuses to use it because it’s so freaking cool.

Posted by Jim K. on September 26, 2003 at 10:38 PM (PDT)

Does it have tv/out?

way to get bootleg movies in the open.

“full-length movies that you’ve downloaded from the internet”

hmm…

Posted by Foo_foo on September 27, 2003 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

PLEASE IT LET HAPPEN! PLEASE, IF THERE IS A GOD IT WILL HAPPEN!

Posted by bobby Sakaki on September 27, 2003 at 10:14 PM (PDT)

I wish people would stop sticking ideas onto the iPod. It’s just plain stupid. It’s not even a rumour, its entirely ficticious. Sure it sounds cool, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the iPod.

I want an iPod that beams music directly into my brain, and with direct bain to ipod control system OMG it would be so cool! stfu. :|

Posted by Alex Stapleton on September 28, 2003 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Someone’s an Onion fan raspberry

Posted by fnarfy in j on September 28, 2003 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

ridiculous! tiny screen, probably it’s over 1000 euros. useless, fragile, ridiculous. iPod is a mp3 player, I don’t give a #### about a video player. as for that archso fan, archso jukebox is crap. Ipod is still the best mp3 palyer around.

Posted by 5th Raider on October 1, 2003 at 4:14 AM (PDT)

> tiny screen, probably it’s over 1000 euros.

The video players feature gorgeous high-resolution color LCDs that put your cheap iPod screen to shame. It’s a quality issue—you are looking at the blurry, murky, slow iPod screen and thinking about a larger version of that. Don’t.

Posted by EuroTrash on October 1, 2003 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

“archso jukebox is crap. Ipod is still the best mp3 palyer around.”

I think you are behind the times. The Archos Jukebox Studio was pretty crap. Mainly because it was the first hard disk mp3 player available. Before Nomad, before iPod, it was Archos that invented the whole idea. And yes, as the first ones to market they got a lot of things wrong and their quality was ####.

But that was several years ago. Since then there have been several generations of Archos products:

Jukebox Studio
Jukebox Recorder
Jukebox FM Recorder
Jukebox Multimedia
AV

They have been improving. I have a Jukebox FM, rock solid for over a yeay. I’v had to replace my 2G iPod twice (thank god for Best Buy extra warranty!).

Why do I have both? Because the iPod, while tiny, lacks some features I need:

80GB (I swapped out the hard disk)
FM Reception
Recording
Higher S/N sound quality than iPod’s lousy on-board DAC.
Digital Output/Input
Line in
Rockbox - best playlists ever bar none! http://rockbox.haxx.se/
USB Drive - I can see it on my desktop in MacOS 9, no extra software required
14 hour battery life (I swapped out the batteries for super capacity NiMH ones).

Best of all, it cost me $170 after rebate.

Now the problem is that the AV models cost $600, which is too spendy. But I want one.

Posted by saywhat on October 1, 2003 at 8:28 AM (PDT)