Target offers $15 iTunes gift card with iPod purchase | iLounge News

Target offers $15 iTunes gift card with iPod purchase

In what may be a Target store exclusive, Target and Apple are offering a $15 prepaid iTunes gift card with the purchase of any 3G iPod, starting Sunday, February 29, 2004. Target’s promotion notes that “Quantity [is] limited on free offer,” so it’s unclear how long the promotion will last, and as the blue iTunes card is branded with Target and Apple logos, it’s not clear whether Apple will extend this sales incentive to other retailers.

« iPod AppleCare for $46 shipped

How to access iPod mini Diagnostic mode »

Comments

They WOULD do that, 4 days after I bought mine at Target. Grumble, grumble.

Posted by lolo on February 29, 2004 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

Take it back, I’m sure target will do a price match.

Posted by Stephen on February 29, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

Did you see that Target also had Napster CDR’s in their ad?

I heard they’re also gonna sell Napster pre-paid cards.

The field is getting competitive.

Posted by BigSid in Los Angeles on February 29, 2004 at 12:58 PM (PDT)

Nooo!! I just bought my iPod yesterday from the Apple store. I should have waited and got it from Target!!

Posted by Doh on February 29, 2004 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

Ack! I just bought mine on Thursday. Figures :(

Posted by Lori on February 29, 2004 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

This is a nice little bonus in starting to fill an iPod.  Just so people know Target also has the USB/Firewire cable on sale for $15.

Posted by Judd on February 29, 2004 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

Target also sells Napster cards. The day I went in and asked for iTunes prepaid cards, they directed me to the huge, isle-width display filled with Napster prepaid cards, with “Napster” branded CD-R’s and some cheap USB keychain mp3/wma players.

It’s kinda sad that the cards were a very small part of the iPod display that I found after 5 minutes of looking around, though the caption was interesting: “feed your iPod”.

Posted by Sraphim on February 29, 2004 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

The main article said it is unclear how long the promotion will last.  I work at a Target store and I can tell you that it will go on until this Saturday night until close, or until quantities run out.  I didn’t know we had these things until today when I went into work, and I work in the electronics department almost three times a week, so we should have a decent amount yet.  Also, for the person who just got their ‘Pod a couple of days ago, hold on to your receipt and call in to a store and see if they will adjust it.  Usually, ad special items that are purchased within 10 days or so before the advertisement are generally honored (but please don’t complain if it isn’t honored; working in retail sucks too and I’m sure whoever sold it to you had no idea this ad special was going to happen).

Posted by reuber1 on February 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

Does Target carry the Ipod mini? If so, is this part of the promotion?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by djacobso on March 1, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

do you have to buy an ipod to get the card or can you buy it seperate because i just bought a 15GB ipod at best buy.

Posted by brandon on March 1, 2004 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

No, you can buy green cards for iTunes at Target for $15 = $15 iTMS credit; this is a specific promotion with a $15 value blue card for iTunes included with 3G iPod purchase.

My store though (even though it was recently remodeled) didn’t have any cards on the iPod display (one of the displays behind the glass electronics counter) but they were available in the music CD section, next to the Napster prepaid cards. I don’t know if it was only ever a 1 week placement or what, but the whole “Napster endcap” display is already gone from a high visibilty position and has been relocated to an endcap back in the corner behind the cell phone and CDR aisles.

Since I’ve read the music industry was expecting the iPod mini to be alot cheaper, it sure would be nice if Apple and Target could work with the Virgin Pulse line (exclusive to Target) to make the VP MP3/WMA players also play AAC (including Protected AAC) - perhaps even dropping WMA in the process. They already work with MP3s with iTunes. And I think Virgin is a brand that Apple would most likely feel comfortable with - and having it at Target, would give Target something to offer the consumer that doesn’t have the $$$ for an iPod.

Posted by Johnathan on March 1, 2004 at 3:05 PM (PDT)