Target scores exclusive JBL On Time edition | iLounge News

Target scores exclusive JBL On Time edition

image

In what appears to be a first for an iPod speaker manufacturer, JBL has announced the release of On Time - Aluminum, a Target store-exclusive third color of its popular iPod speaker dock and clock radio combination (iLounge rating: B+). According to JBL, On Time - Aluminum “is now on active display in all their 1,400 stores in the US. It’s our first color venture with an iPod speaker other than white and black, which so far has been very well accepted.” Target has previously negotiated aesthetic exclusives with companies such as Nintendo, which issued special editions of several Game Boy models using unique colors and packaging. Like its white and black predecessors, the Aluminum-colored On Time is made from plastic, not metal, and sells for the same price of $250.

« Clerks II director commentary track to be offered on iTMS

Mix: DashJack, Google, BridePods, Stevie Nicks »

Comments

For $250, it oughtta be made out of real aluminum.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 23, 2006 at 5:34 PM (PDT)

We’ve had our display model out for about 2 months now, and I never knew no one else carried it in aluminum.

Posted by Natrino on June 23, 2006 at 11:18 PM (PDT)

The creature II’s have been aluminum since way before this.

Posted by sshafer on June 24, 2006 at 1:57 AM (PDT)

$250 is still a bit too much. Why is it that alot of ipod accessories I see are always way too freakin expensive?

Posted by Jonathan on June 24, 2006 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

This thing sucks!!!!!! I bought one and put it at the foot of the bed, you have to be ob top of it to see what time it is, the sound is God Awfull.. Get a Bose wave radio and put your Ipod on the aux.. Thant’s what I had before and the sound was wayyyyy better.. BEWARE, DO NOT FREAKING BUY!!!!

Posted by SethBD on June 24, 2006 at 6:53 PM (PDT)

A rose by any other name…..still appears to be just sprayed with silver paint.  I saw this version at Target and for my personal tastes, I did not care for it.  The finish looks a bit cheap to me.  The sound quality wasn’t great and sounded much like what it is, a clock/radio, but a very good clock radio.  Out of curiosity I stopped by Compusa and tried one of the other models(a white On Time) and the sound quality was the same.(take into account it is very difficult to hear the quality of a unit in a busy store-I would like to hear one in a quieter environment)
The On Time has a very unique design which I really like.  In my opinion the white model looks much better than the silver, but my favorite is the black.  A $250.oo pricetag is still a bit steep for me to buy.

Posted by SouthernGothic on June 25, 2006 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

I think it looks neat but im not sure if I’d buy it.

Posted by Samantha on June 25, 2006 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

When did Aluminum become a color?

Posted by 3rdEye on June 26, 2006 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

Still think the iHome is the best value on the market when it comes to iPod alarm clocks.

Posted by Hrothgar on June 28, 2006 at 7:42 AM (PDT)