Targus debuts SoundUP iPod audio enhancer | iLounge News

Targus debuts SoundUP iPod audio enhancer

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Sunday, August 21, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageTargus has introduced the SoundUP, a new iPod add-on that enhances sound output. The company says that the device “separates and reprocesses digital music files providing a three-dimensional sound envelope” and also delivers “the rich tones and spatial orientation of live music.”

“Portable audio is great—but the technology that allows you to carry 10,000+ songs in your pocket utilizes compressed audio formats. And these compressed formats mean a loss of audio content and quality,” explains Targus. “SoundUP uses Phantom Technologies patented circuit that provides 20–25% more music envelope—revealing instruments and voices from original recordings that are trapped during compression and previously not heard.”

The SoundUP is priced at $39.99. A version is available for 3G/4G iPods and for the iPod mini.

« iStore offers iLoungers special discount

The iPod Directory now available, searchable »

Comments

I call shenanigans. Basically, this is gobldygook for a hardware-based expander/compressor-limiter. Kinda like that one plug-in for itunes, or in a best-case scenario, a BBE-type thingy. (forgot the name). Compression doesn’t “trap” anything; once it’s lost, it’s lost - hence the term “lossy” format for compression codecs.

I’m sure it makes the stuff sound better, but one can only polish a turd so much.

Posted by angry_black_man on August 22, 2005 at 12:56 AM (PDT)

i wonder if this would solve the sound distortion reported on the ipod photo.

Posted by montydeno on August 22, 2005 at 1:33 AM (PDT)

That, or it just doubles the loudness of the bass.

Posted by phennphawcks on August 22, 2005 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

My spidey sense is tingling for a review.

Posted by uber taxpayer on August 22, 2005 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

Have any of you ever compared the sound difference between the iPod and other mp3 players like those from Creative? I have, and although I own an iPod, I have to admit that after listening to what Creative has to offer, the iPod’s sound is severely lacking.

It’s adequate for most uses though, but those of us who love rich bass, clear highs and mids but cant afford $300+ headphones (like myself) might consider this.

Apple needs to improve the sound quality of it’s iPod, and although there are improvements from generation to generation (try listening to a 1G ipod and compare it to a 4G) I personally think Apple needs to pay more attention to the sound quality.

That said, I still love my ‘Pod.

Posted by ahMEmon on August 22, 2005 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Would’ve been nicer if it acted as a headphone amplifier, rather than adding what will probably sound like a chessy effect commonly found in software audio players..

But yeah, looking forward to a review. If it doesn’t make it sound like crap, and actually gives the music some real bass, I’d definately consider buying one.. hmm, except that it interferes with my iJet remote.

Posted by kloan on August 22, 2005 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

If improving sound was their goal, why not utilize the line-out/ dock connector on the bottom of the iPod ??

Sounds like a gimick

Posted by aquatika on August 22, 2005 at 3:53 PM (PDT)

This is the biggest bunch of hooey since Jack Campbell’s last product offering.
“Separates and reprocesses digital music files providing a three-dimensional sound envelope?? Since the files are analog audio when they get to the headphone connector (where this daddy appears to plugin), there won’t be much “digital music file” “reprocess"ing going on here. Shenanigans, indeed.

Posted by birddog in CA, USA on August 22, 2005 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

I just got a preproduction model, a definate difference in audio quality is obvious, but it really has to be at high volumes.  the better use is from the 2 availabe headphone ports on top, with one having the data port so you can use additional accesories or your remote at the same time

Posted by Rahul Kishore on September 23, 2005 at 7:25 PM (PDT)

I suppose the old saying goes, “seeing is believing”. I will NOT listen to my Pod without the sound up. I also recommend attaching to the car stereo, it sounds great!

Posted by erikcmontpetit on December 21, 2005 at 8:27 AM (PDT)