Targus offers security lock for iPods | iLounge News

Targus offers security lock for iPods

image

Targus has introduced the Eyelet Security Lock for iPod, a Dock Connector lock that works with Targus cable locks to secure your iPod. “It provides end-users an affordable way to secure their iPod while at work, without having to purchase an entirely new, more costly solution,” says the company. “The eyelet lock also serves as a unique and innovative security device for corporate customers that need to lock multiple iPod demo products.” The lock features a resetable 3-digit combination and is compatible with any dockable iPod (3G, 4G, 5G, nano, and mini). [via Gizmodo]

« Plaintiff in iPod nano suit denies cooperation

NHL game highlights come to iTunes Music Store »

Comments

Wow a 3x Tumbler Lock I mean it might take a Person like what 10 Minutes to crack it! I soppose this is better then nothing, but is the Price for this even justifiable?

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on May 24, 2006 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

you could rip that thing right out of the dock and they only thing it would hurt are the clips/wings on the lock. Sad product.

Posted by whatever on May 24, 2006 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

Well, laptop locks are also quite flimsy and easy to break. The idea behind these kind of locks is that they discourage thieves in the first place. Lets be honest, if you can choose between a locked iPod or search for an unlocked one… I know what my choice would be.
This said, I would never buy one. iPod’s are very high on the ‘wanted’ list. I therefore always keep it insight.

Posted by Ward Grootjans on May 24, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

...and how exactly are you supposed to keep the iPod charged while it’s locked????

boo.

hiss.

Posted by CSD on May 24, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

yes!  now I can finally lock my ipod up to the bike racks

Posted by extremeipoddingtothemaxasaurus on May 24, 2006 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Actually this would be pretty good if you live in a college dorm or anywhere with roomates who have friends over and the like.

Posted by Victor on May 24, 2006 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

I guess sticking the thing in your pocket to secure it is passé.

Posted by raekwon on May 24, 2006 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

tie it to a belt loop or handbag strap and you’ll have a “wearable” iPod

Posted by patrick on May 24, 2006 at 4:05 PM (PDT)

Like a previous user said, if you really want to steal the device you can. Even notebook looks are prone to theft by hanking hard on the cable. These locks are meant to stop casual theft. Someone walking by your dek or dorm room is not going to spend 10 minutes cracking your tumbler! If the ipod is secured, they will most likely pass unless they want to take the risk of arousing suspicion by hanking on the thing.. Even then it will ruin the connector if it does that..

Posted by Terry on May 25, 2006 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

Me think iPod locks are great..I lived in dorm at university..and I take my iPod to the ribrary to study and coffee shop..so although I not gone for very long..to get a book or go to the bathroom….I dont want to have to turn off my iPod, hide it, etc everytime I look away…

Like Telly said…you can break into car in 30 seconds too!

Arso my company not let me bring in iPod for security reasons until I showed them it could be locked they not worried about me but other steal my iPod and use of bad use.

Posted by Dave Yanger on May 25, 2006 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

The wings on the lock wouldnt get ruined its the dock connector that would either get pulled out, destroying the iPod, or it would just ruin the dock connector and also ruining the ipod because you wouldnt be able to charge it. but ya the idea is cool but 30 bucks for something like it, NO, maby 15 or 20 but i guess its just for someone walkin by think “me like the look of that” if its locked up their not gunna waste their time

Posted by Spencer on May 25, 2006 at 7:57 PM (PDT)