Teac offers clock radio iPod speaker systems | iLounge News

Teac offers clock radio iPod speaker systems

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, April 25, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Teac recently introduced two new iPod speaker systems with clock radio functions. The SRL-200 ($150; shown) features an integrated iPod dock, digital AM/FM radio tuner with 20 FM station presets, LCD display, and wireless remote. The system lets you awaken or fall asleep to the music on your iPod. The second unit, the Teac GR-10i ($160), is a similar clock radio with iPod dock. It sports a silver exterior, and also features a digital AM/FM tuner, LCD display, remote and sleep/alarm functions.

« i-Theater video headset announced

Mix: Wolfson, Senator Burns, iPod knock-offs, CustomFlix »

Comments

I saw the GR-10i at my local Costco for $100. I t was a better deal than I thought.

Posted by meir87 on April 25, 2006 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

Ths thing looks just like the iHome! whats the deference? is it better sound? or better price? (no) whats the deal?

Posted by LawnBoy on April 25, 2006 at 2:15 PM (PDT)

Costco had the two side-by-side so I could sound test with my nano.  The iHome has more alarm clock functions, ie. snooze.  The Teac will turn on at a specified time (and specified volume and station or iPod) but has no snooze.  The only thing that keeps me from using it as an alaarm.  IMHO the Teac has much better sound, rounder, fuller, bassier.  The remote is typical IR, wish it were RF, but I can still bounce the signal off my shiny kitchen walls if I aim it just right.  The Teac is slightly bigger.  I dremmeled the opening a bit and can insert my 60g video plastic case and all.  My nano fits fine too.

Posted by Linda Van Thiel on April 25, 2006 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

Bought the GR-10i at Costco a month ago for $99. Far superior sound and appearance to the iHome. I use the aux in port for my PC speaker system and tossed my older speakers. It comes with adapters for all the current iPods that snap into the top of the unit. The iPod like remote is simple and straight foward and has its own storage space on the back of the unit. Individual dime size buttons are on top of the GR-10i with lettering for iPod, aux, tuner and everything is easy to setup. FM reception is great as is AM, but there is an AM buzz when placed within 4 feet of my 21"CRT. LCD or plasma displays shouldn’t cause this buzz on AM. Seperate well made AM loop and long FM antennas. A well made quality product with excellent sound, as good as my Bose CD system.

Posted by Bob Forsberg on April 25, 2006 at 7:41 PM (PDT)

No snooze feature? That makes it pretty worthless. It might sound good, but if I can’t hit snooze 3 or 4 times, it’s not going on my bed table. smile

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on April 26, 2006 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

Yep, the lack of snooze is an odd oversight.  I guess 2.0 will be out sooner than expected.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on April 26, 2006 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

TEAC, eh? (notice the caps…that’s the way it’s supposed to be spelled)

Haven’t thought all that much about their consumer line of products in years. TEAC used to make some killer reel-to-reel decks many moons ago, but aside from their current Esoteric and TASCAM brands their remaining later TEAC-branded gear—much of which seems to end up at Costco, ironically—always seemed to be on the cheezy and cheap side of things.

It’s good to read that the once-storied brand can still make and sell a decent product, even IF it’s missing a snooze bar.

Posted by flatline response on April 26, 2006 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Ok just got back from costco where i perused both manuals for ihome and TEAC. The iHome at least has basic alarm clock features (snooze, battery backup for clock in case of outage). The TEAC was not designed nor marketed as also being an alarm clock. No where in the manual can you even find the word ‘alarm.’ It has a ‘timer’ feature to automatically turn on at a designated time, but so does my TV. I guess if my alarm clock dies one night as I turn in, I could fenagle my TV to turn MTV on in the morning at hi volume, but i wouldn’t mistake it for an alarm clock either.
    Caveats about the TEAC:  According to the manual, it does NOT include adapter for the newest ipods, i.e. video ipod, nano—a gross oversight for a new release imho. you have to purchase commercially available adapters, the manual says… but out of the box, you cannot recharge the latest gen. ipods! you can still listen to it thru the speakers bypassing the dock using the aux port and included cable though.  On the other hand, when i opened the iHome box, there was a set of rubber pads on a small insert, which is supposed to be attached to the included dock adapters to make them compatible with the 5th gen video ipods. out of the box, it also can dock the nano.
  Regarding size, the TEAC is actually considerably larger than iHome, almost twice as tall and deep, i’d say, though still lightweight. my local costco only sells the gray GR 10i, not the white SRL-200. Gray doesn’t even color coordinate with either black or white ipod. iHome comes in both black and white at costco.
  Finally, re: the price at costco 99 for TEAC, 89 for iHome. costco price for TEAC is well below amazon price of around 150. iHome at costco only 10 bucks below usual price; HOWEVER the costco units come with remote control ($20 value), which is marketed as being sold separately, both on the box and website. but just open the costco box, and you will see that a remote has been silently included. this may be a new policy of iHome to bundle the remote.
  i don’t doubt TEAC has superior sound and probably fares better than iHome in comparison with more expensive dedicated iPod speakers. In that regard, if you view the TEAC as primarily iPod speakers, with bonus of radio capability then could still be a great value, but its not a real alarm clock and remember it cannot dock/charge the latest gen ipods out of the box.

Posted by kimiki on April 27, 2006 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

TEAC - THE BEST IPOD SPEAKERS CURRENTLY IN PRODUCTION (IMHO)
I’ve had both Teac and I-Home for a while now.  I use I-Home as my alarm in my bedroom and Teac as my main Ipod speakers in my living room.  Ok you cannot seriously compare sound on these, Teac is just 10000% better.  In fact, Teac, in my opinion, and I have tested every possible speaker for Ipod, is the BEST IPOD SPEAKERS currently in production.  Yes I include Boss too. It has incredible sound, great Bass, fills a large living room with absolutely no distortion.  Remote control is not flimsy little thing like Ihome.

On the other hand, it is not fair to compare IHome and Teac, because Teac has twice as large speakers.  IHome is nice as far as alarm clock.  But for your main speakers, I recommend the Teac.  I have the grey one from Costco, I have not listened to the white one.

Also, on Teac, I have discovered, that I get the best sound when my Mini eq is set in “Treble Booster.”  Because it already provides killer bass.  In fact, my best friend has a birthday tomorrow and I am about to go to Costco and buy him it.  Oh, and for 99$ at Costco, it is one of the cheapest Ipod speakers around.  And with Costco liberal return policy how can one go wrong?

Posted by David on April 29, 2006 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

I don’t care about snooze, but I think that biggest negative is the LCD display which you can’t see as well in the dark…

Posted by akatsuki on April 29, 2006 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

Two things…

Costco only carries the WHITE iHome.  This sux.

The iHome at costco does seem to include a remote—I’m not sure if the other’s (e.g. at the apple store) did—I need the remote.

Re “no charging the nano w/ TEAC”... at the costco I was just at 30 minutes ago, there was a demo-nano.  I docked it to the TEAC, and the nano showed that it WAS CHARGING.  So I beleive the TEAC will charge the latest iPods (there was a 30gb there also, but I didnt test it).

While the size of the TEAC is a bit larger, it looks much more like a real product than the plastic-plastic-plastic iHome.  Imo.

jeff

Posted by Jeff on May 6, 2006 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

The Teac GR-10i unit sounds nice, but somewhat muffled at times, because of its bass boost. However, i’m returning it as it has no battery backup! If you lose power for more than about 20 seconds, you lose not only the time/date but also any preset programming. Quite a shame ...

Posted by Gerry on May 11, 2006 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Just got home from Costco with the Teac. The latest Costco flyer has a coupon that drops the price to $79.99.

Gerry, I noted that weakness—no battery backup over 30 seconds, da**it.

However, the speakers sound so good that I’ll put up with reprogramming it after a power failure. Listened to some Beethoven (better than I expected), and am listening to Abbey Road right now. The speakers sound pretty good, all in all, and work just fine even if the time and stations are messed up.

Posted by FloydC on May 13, 2006 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Returned the TEAC.

Big plus: very good speakers with decent but not too boomy bass.
Nice little remote.
The built in radio and the clock would be major plusses, if there were a battery backup of some sort.

Minuses
No instructions for using it as an alarm clock, just a mention on the box. Frustratingly, there _is_ a feature to turn the system off after 30, 60, or 90 minutes, something I would rarely use.

No battery backup. If the power fails or you move the radio you lose your station settings and the time of day.

It would be fine as a set of speakers for an office or computer room. My stereo outdoes it in fidelity so I will probably look for an Apple universal dock,

Posted by FloydC on May 14, 2006 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

I just got home with my GR-10i and indeed—it sounds fantastic!  Much better than anything I’ve hooked my ipod up to short of the home theater.

I wish they had included the nano adapter.  Are those easy to find?  Where?  Thank you!

Sean

Posted by Sean Caldwell on May 15, 2006 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

just found out the nano adapter was included in the nano box from apple.  ooops.

Sean

Posted by Sean Caldwell on May 15, 2006 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Adapter for 5G Ipod are included in the Ipod box from Apple as well. With adapter in place it will charge the newest Ipods.

Posted by Kathy R on May 28, 2006 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

Got this at Costco for $79.99 plus tax. Excellent sound, just a lil bit oversized. Remote is also a nice touch. And fit my 60gb Video iPod fine using one of the several included adapters. Charges fine, no clue why anyone else had probs with this. I really don’t care about snooze buttons or the bright LCD. It’s called a “HiFi Table Radio” and that’s exactly what it does. Costco return policy is just icing on the cake.

Posted by kbp on June 3, 2006 at 2:10 AM (PDT)

Isn’t there an alarm feature built into the iPod itself? So wouldn’t the TEAC/iHome thing just serve as speakers and power for the iPod? I work at a Costco in Canada and we don’t have the iHome but we do have the TEAC, sounds great, will have to drop some coin on it.

Posted by tsweimer on June 9, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

Bought this from Costco yesterday.  Didn’t realize there was no snooze so I blindly mashed the buttons to no avail this morning trying to turn it off.  That sucks.  Also, the display is too bright, even in the low setting to have by your bed at night.  It lit up half my room.  And I’m surprised by all the reviews saying how good the sound is.  The display model in the store sounded pretty bad at high volumes, but I thought I’d try it at home anyways - unfortunately, this has only proven how poor the sound quality is.  The bass makes a humming noise when turned up.  Might try exchanging it.  Price was right.  Size could be smaller.

Posted by Nathan on September 18, 2006 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >