Teardown: iPod shuffle 4G ‘extremely difficult’ to open
In completing its teardown of the fourth-generation iPod shuffle, iFixit has indicated that the device is “extremely difficult’ to open, rendering it nearly unserviceable by end users. iFixit found that the device’s control wheel is attached to the logic board via a connector, making it easy to remove, while the battery is soldered to the logic board, making replacement difficult. In addition, access to the shuffle 4G’s internals is only possible by removing the device’s back clip assembly, which is both press-fit and glued to the body, requiring “a good half hour of prying and heat-gunning to open.” Overall, iFixit gave the device a two out of 10 on its repairability scale, with 10 being considered the easiest to repair.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple patents fourth-generation iPod shuffle
- Updated photo gallery: every new 2012 iPod shuffle
- First photos show 2012 iPod shuffle colors, textures
- New iPod shuffle to debut at WWDC?
- Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker
- Apple now accepting all Apple Watch app submissions
- Apple hires former Dolby executive
- ITC to investigate Apple over Ericsson complaints
- Apple Q2 earnings call coming April 27
- Alleged ‘iPad Pro’ photos show second Lightning port?
- Apple expands iPhone trade-in program to non-Apple devices
- Alleged ‘iPhone 6c’ rear shell photos leaked
- Gear section, Disqus comments added to iLounge
- FDA taking ‘hands-off approach’ to regulating Apple Watch
- Apple Watch won’t be sold to walk-in customers at launch
- VERT Wearable Fitness Monitor
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?