Tech analyst expects $199 iPod mini in 12 months | iLounge News

Tech analyst expects $199 iPod mini in 12 months

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, January 12, 2004
News Categories: iPod mini

“‘I think $249 is smart. You can always drop the price. It’s much harder to raise it,’ said Michael Gartenberg, a personal technology analyst with Jupiter Research. ‘I think we could see a $199 iPod in the next 12 months.’

Gartenberg said the iPod mini should help Apple win some of the lower-end sales now going to Sony, Creative Labs and Rio Audio, manufacturers who’ve built a market for sub-$300 digital music players.”

« Mac: Pod Decloak 1.0 Released

Macworld UK: MS’ video-player plans ‘misguided’ Jobs »

Comments

“IM BASHING AT THE PRICE!!”

Then don’t buy it, #####.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 5:16 AM (PDT)

No, see, the internet has already spoken, dontcha know that the minipod is going to tank and bring down Apple with it.  Damn you minipod!  Damn you to hell!

I’ll admit that I’m happy that the initial “WTF?” mentality has worn off and some people see the target market, regardless of the financial issues.

Posted by Anonymous Coward on January 13, 2004 at 5:42 AM (PDT)

no matter what any nay sayers say. The Mini is already selling huge. Don’t like the price? Then get ######, no one cares. The mainstream likes sleek looks and sheik branding. Apple has done both with the mini they are back ordered untill ####### May. So everyone who has a problem with the price, go pay the same for a Dell DJ. Go start DellDJlounge.com and create a complaints forum because that all anyone I know with a DDJ has. Along with iRiver and RCA. Apple owns the market the mini is securing that and in 12 months if and when the price does drop you’ll be posting negatively about something else Apple does. So people with nothing but vile #### coming from their fingers (mini ipod suck) go buy a dell pukebox enjoy medicracy and find the next thing to slag on.

Posted by Regalbegal on January 13, 2004 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

I just bought one of those discontinued 3G 10 GB models for $250. So glad I did, because they are selling out like mad.

Posted by ikelleigh on January 13, 2004 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

I just ordered a blue ipod mini for my little sister who will turn twelve in two weeks. Her favorite color is blue. She says that my original 5 gig ipod is still too big and too heavy for her, especially in a protective casing. She’ll be happily surprised with the mini. Unfortunately she’ll have to wait a bit for it to arrive.

The market for the mini exists. And the cost to enter that market is whatever it is worth to you. Pure and simple. Buy it, or don’t buy it.

Posted by Agent Orange on January 13, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

does anyone know if and when Apple could introduce a flashbased, lower capacity iPod?

Posted by iBookiPod on January 13, 2004 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

iBookiPod: Jobs said at MacWorld that he thought 1000 songs was the minimum reasonable capacity. That’s not to say there isn’t some remote possibility, but it’s probably very unlikely that they’ll go below 4GB. The first iPod was 5GB and they only went up from there. My bet is that the iPod mini will follow suit.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 13, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

“i’m not bashing at mini ipod just the price u dumbass. u ppl dont f****** read. btw i can get $250 for 15gig 3g ipod.”

“lol j/k smaller is cool i dont mind getting for my little niece. maybe i can score one for $200 for a mini ipod.”

Ok, so what are you bashing, if not the price? You seem to be perfectly fine with it besides the price. Before calling me a name, why don’t you read your own f*cking bullsh*t?

“IM BASHING AT THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Posted by Sam on January 13, 2004 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

sam sam sam

dont just read my post. try and understand it. i said i would buy a mini ipod for $200 not for $250.my little niece would like one. its for girl i would not be caught dead using one. girls like cute stuff guys like power (ala space) can u handle this ########? u a guy right? lol

Posted by mini ipod suck on January 14, 2004 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

Well…the iPod minis are actually selling pretty well….but I was surprised to see the Pink one is the second best seller of the bunch.

Why would I buy an iPod mini?

Simple…..it is small.

When I go to the YMCA I found out quickly that even though my iPod is small, it still isn’t small enough to be really convenient, and its weight is enough to give it enough inertia while doing things that it it fairly easy to drop.  The mini weighs much less, and is 41% smaller in volume.  Yeah, it might not look all that much smaller, but when you are talking about hand held devices there is a great difference between the two.

I’ve also discovered that I do not need to carry all of my music around.  4 GB is a very comfortable amount to take places.  4 GB will still take you over 3 days to listen to every track once.  I’ve got a pretty clever smart playlist strategy that puts a great sampling of my extensive library.

I can truly see myself owning both an iPod and an iPod mini.  The iPod for extended vacations and the mini for short jaunts and working out.

Posted by rs on January 14, 2004 at 8:30 PM (PDT)

Okay, here’s my opinion.  Mini was made for people that need something smaller.  People that buy them will only buy them if they have the money and don’t care, or if they plan to be in debt and don’t care.

iPods in general only surpass other MP3 players because of their size and look. If I were looking for a small, lightweight player, then I would buy an iPod if I could afford it. I currently cannot and I WOULD not because of the present battery statistics.

In my case I’d have to have something at least 20GB and I can’t see myself paying $20 a gig. At most I’d pay $10…  half of the current price. Don’t really care ‘bout a remote, cradle or case.

In any event I’m not purchasing an iPod soon…    call me cheap, but that’s your dumb *ss opinion. I just rather get the best I can for my money.

Posted by Myself on July 9, 2004 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2