TechNewsWorld: Napster: ‘We Will Take Market Share from Apple’ | iLounge News

TechNewsWorld: Napster: ‘We Will Take Market Share from Apple’

“Not to be upstaged by Apple, Roxio chairman and chief executive officer Chris Gorog challenged Apple’s statistics and told TechNewsWorld his company will be chipping away at Apple’s market share with a powerful marketing campaign already underway.

“We expect as soon as we get the word out to consumers that Napster is back, it will significantly impact our growth,” Gorog said in an exclusive interview with TechNewsWorld. “We would also expect to be taking away market share from Apple on a weekly basis.”“

« Best-Selling Author Neil Gaiman on the iSkin

The Apple Store: $25 off $249 Coupon »

Comments

i would also use itunes if the prices were lower with albums. right now, i download off of acquisition, listen for a month or so, then buy.

which brings me to another possibility. the record industry using p2p to aid these services. p2p deserves no money in either legal or illegal directions, so why don’t we apply the drm to p2p and link to napster/itunes?  i would say more, but not exactly the best place to further my thoughts

Posted by Fiddytree on November 8, 2003 at 1:13 PM (PDT)

“I bought it because it was the best hard drive player on the market right now”

How is it “the best”? Surely this can’t be a general finding? “Best” is a subjective assessment, based on suitability for your current array of preferences and needs. This may or may not overlap with some or many other people’s.

Posted by curious on November 8, 2003 at 1:31 PM (PDT)

I, for one, will continue to buy CDs until the downloadable music is equal in quality.  I bought an iPod because it is the best portable “jukebox” available.

I do think that the Apple music store will have problems if they continue to offer a single format that only plays on a relatively small percentage of “MP3” players - anyone ever hear of a Sony Betamax?

Posted by Hanoi Dick on November 8, 2003 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Between the two,I prefer I-Tunes. Napster crashed and timed out so much it started turning into a bad joke.Napster should really be ashamed of themselves. I’m also not fond of WMA,and Apple supports MP-3,which works well for me(but AAC is really sweet).
The one thing that these two have in common is that the music stores are BORING!
  I listen to Dance Music, which is essentially a singles driven market. I also listen to a lot of stuff that that doesn’t skew toward the mainstream. I was really looking forward to I-Tunes,because the majors were making noise about making singles available on-line,and inking deals with indies. Nothing could be further from the truth. I’m also not too fond of the partial album thing either.If Apple wants to keep my interest,they are really going to have to broaden their scope,and maybe start leaning on the majors to pull it together as well. If not, I’ll continue going to brick and mortars,buying imports, and exploring other “options” to find the music that I can’t buy.

Posted by M. on November 8, 2003 at 4:45 PM (PDT)

“How is it ‘the best’? Surely this can’t be a general finding?”

I did not think a disclaimer was necessary, but as with all declarations based on complex variables providing a set of needs for even more complex individuals, all assessments of quality cannot be quantified into a repeatable, single axis scale, as you said.

The only other player that came close in my decision was Dell’s new jukebox. I decided against it because I use Apples and Linux more often than Windows computers. The only thing that tempted me about it was the battery time, but as I have stated before, battery time is not a big issue for me. Even four hours would be plenty. The other thing that appealed to me about the iPod was the extensibility of it. Even if it does not support my favored formats today, it is possible that it could in the future with no upgrade cost. Apple has been very ambitious with their firmware upgrades and adding functionality to the player, just in the few years it has been out.

I know it might sound political, and a bit trite, but I do find it difficult to support companies which in turn support Microsoft. Living in the niche is just fine with me. Like I said, for my purposes it is what I need. Whether or not there is an online store attached to it is irrelevant.

Posted by Ioa on November 8, 2003 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

i just looked at napster 2.0 and damn does it lokk familar
exspeacily the scrach page
???
napster sucks they cant even come up with an original interface

Posted by Phill in Texas on November 8, 2003 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

Ioa, please don’t say Apple has been ambitious with it’s updates and including functionality for the player. It has updated quite a lot, mostly for bugs though, and let’s us not forget 2nd gen owners like me who purchased iPod’s a few months off from the 3rd gens and got screwed.

Posted by zync on November 8, 2003 at 11:37 PM (PDT)

Screwed? Give us a break. You bought an iPod and a newer model came out later. Boo hoo, welcome to the world of electronics. Something new is always just around the corner. I assume your iPod still worked after a new model was introduced.

Posted by rdowns in NYC on November 9, 2003 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

rdowns the 3G iPods are the same internal hardware as the 1G iPods. Apple just got a larger hard drive, shrunk the battery, and changed the case esthetics. But the internals are identical. Same CPU, samer drivers, same ICs. This is not like when a new model CPU PC or Mac comes out.

So why no real firmware feature add-ons for the older iPods? Why no Audible bookmarks, on-the-go playlists, or queueing? Simepl greed is all. Apple just want to s c r e w their early adopters, get us to act as their unwitting resellers by fleabaying our perfectly good and familiar iPods and buy whole new ones from them.

It’s wasteful and it’s unenvironmental and it’s just plain dumb business sense. I am hanging on to my 2G iPod but I see no reason to buy a new iPod for some little software improvements. Unless Apple offer me some improvement for my 2G iPod, my next portable player will be an iRiver.

Posted by angryipodder on November 9, 2003 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

not all of the internal hardware is identical…

Posted by Ipod05 on November 9, 2003 at 5:20 PM (PDT)

“not all of the internal hardware is identical…”

Ipod05, what’s changed beyond the hard drive and battery capacities?

Posted by angryipodder on November 9, 2003 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

seems to me if the internals were identical, then the firmware updates would work back to Gen 1- and they don’t - one could argue that the update checks the version of the iPod and flat doesn’t work on older models, but I think if that were the case, then someone would have a hack to make it work. I have to think that the firmware/hardware is different for the new controls vs. the old ones at the very least….
~m

Posted by mikbau on November 10, 2003 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

“the update checks the version of the iPod and flat doesn’t work on older models, but I think if that were the case, then someone would have a hack to make it work”

Nope, the firmware on the iPod is just too complex to easily reverse engineer without Apple providing some sort of API guide. Unless you happen to have 15 or so engineers free for a year? Apple themselves found the idea of creating the firmware daunting given time and cost constraints and completely outsourced the firmware implementation for V1 and V2.

The Rockbox people hacked the Archos and massively improved their firmware, but that’s because the Archos base firmware was trivially simple compared to the iPod.

And the internals of the iPod are still the same as a couple of years ago: still based on the PortalPlayer 5002 reference design. Apple haven’t even bothered to upgrade to the 7002 newer model.

All iPods share a common framework: an integrated Powerportal chip array containing two ARM7TDMI cores, Texas Instruments TSB43AA82 for Firewire, Toshiba 1.8-Inch HDD Drive, and Renasas/Hitachi HD66753 driving the display.

Trust me, beyond cosmetic alterations and some new bus glue, Apple haven’t changed anything on the iPod since its launch.

Rumor has it they may be planning a custom ASIC for 4G. Given their volume this might make sense. Integrating the support chips could add 50-70% to their battery life. But for that to work, Apple would have to start writing their own firmware, which they have been reluctant to do since Steve Jobs cut R&D spend at Apple by nearly 40%.

Posted by haxor on November 10, 2003 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

Although you are all debating, and voicing out, “you have to see my point”. Read everyones point and get an idea of what they are saying. 40% of the people are voicing Napster has a shot, the other 60% are basically saying no way. Keep in mind Napster once made it, although they did not make it far, they did make it. It does not make a difference if they only put out for XP, or 2000, half the people using computers now are opening with those windows. To be honest, I soon think they will all be legalized, without price pay. If you look down to it, kazaa is hitting it well, and “canadians” as I am one are using it like it is legalized.  That doesn’t make it right, I know that. But, when it comes down to it, what choice do they really have. To use Mp3’ player’s now a days you need some kind of music files, and I don’t think people are wanting to spend $200 on Mp3’s, and another $10 a month to download music into it.

Posted by Kat8 on May 13, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

Hi all

Does the ipod 3g work with napster?

Posted by Mick uk on May 26, 2004 at 2:56 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2