TechRestore launches iPod hard drive upgrade program | iLounge News

TechRestore launches iPod hard drive upgrade program

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 22, 2005
News Categories: Repair

TechRestore has launched a new iPod hard drive upgrade service for owners of full-size iPods with a faulty internal drive or who are looking to boost the capacity of their iPod. The TechRestore 24-Hour iPod upgrade program is a complete, door-to-door overnight service for customers in the continental U.S. Once a repair is scheduled, a “RestoreBox” is sent via overnight courier to the customer’s home or office, where their iPod is picked up and shipped overnight to TechRestore. Within 24-hours of receipt, the upgrade is completed and the iPod is sent back to the customer via overnight.

4G iPod owners can upgrade from a 20GB to 40GB hard drive for $179.99, or from a 40GB to a 60GB drive for $229.99. 3G iPod owners have several upgrade options. They can upgrade from 15GB to 20GB for $119.99, from 10GB to 20GB for $149.99, from 20GB to 40GB for $199.99, from 15GB to 40GB for $209.99, or from 10GB to 40GB for $219.99. Owners of 1G iPods can upgrade from 5GB to 10GB for $119.99, and 2G iPod users can go from 10GB to 20GB for $129.99. Prices include all overnight shipping charges, parts and installation.

« Pro-Fit intros miMount iPod car cradle

Noreve debuts new colors for iPod mini case »

Comments

What about the case sizes of the 20 and 40 gig? Won’t the 40 gig upgrade for a 4g 20 gig be too big for the thin case?

Posted by MiTbus on March 22, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

Also, do they preserve your music so the upgraded harddrive is returned with all music intact?

Posted by Sparkky in San Francisco on March 22, 2005 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

TechRestore is the best!!! I have no personal knowledge of their iPod upgrade program, but recently had them upgrade the hard drive in my iBook and could not be more pleased! They made a disk image of my old HD and put it on the new one, for no extra charge, so my iBook came back to me with all my files in place. I have no doubt they can do the same with an iPod. In addition they are just plain nice people to deal with and treated my iBook with the same care I would, way more than I can say for Apple Care…which sent my iBook back with deep scratches on its case last year!

Posted by Aristillus in Maryland on March 22, 2005 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

They don’t keep your old drive do they?!

Posted by Aaron Paulley on March 22, 2005 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

No, Aaron, they don’t keep your old drive! Matter of fact, for $29 they put my old drive in a nice little portable FW case which I now use for backups!

Posted by Aristillus in Maryland on March 22, 2005 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

If I was going to upgrade my hard drive, I’d want a new battery too.

Posted by Dijon on March 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

I would rather sell my iPOD 4G 20GB for only $170.00 and add $180 to get a $350.00 BRAND NEW iPOD 4g 40GB with full Apple warranty.  Think about it.

Posted by Jun on March 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

I’ll definately add these guys to my favoriate link sites.  I guess I have to wait for them to come out with an upgrade for my 60GB iPod Photo.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on March 22, 2005 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

does a 40 gig upgrade from a 20 still fit in the case? I like my black and red ipod for looks but would like a larger harddrive.

Posted by Goodlovin in chicago on March 22, 2005 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

Wow, it looks like speedy service. If you start the process on a Monday, you should get your upgraded iPod back on a Wed or Thursday. That’s pretty darn good! It’s just the prices… for some of those prices you can buy a brand new iPod, Mini and even TWO Shuffles…

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on March 22, 2005 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

Most likely the 40GB drive upgrade will require a new rear portion of the iPod case. Not sure if that is included in the price or if it’s an upcharge. But you would need it if you’re upgrading from either the 10GB, 15GB or 20GB models.

Posted by AndyH in Berwyn, PA on March 22, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

What about us mini owners?

Posted by iStink on March 22, 2005 at 4:20 PM (PDT)

Sounds interesting but I would hate to risk my ipod on a company outside of apple doing this. I would like to see someone do it first.

Posted by Goodlovin in chicago on March 22, 2005 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

sounds good.

but as pitiful as it sounds, i don’t think i can stand being away from my ipod that long.  i’d be bored for like… a day!

(it’d be pretty sweet to have 40G in the 20G case though)

Posted by Exvicious in Schaumburg, IL on March 22, 2005 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

I dont think this service is for faulty hard drives as mentioned in the article.

Posted by RG on July 5, 2005 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

I don’t think it’s for faulty drives either..what’s the price to upgrade my 3G 40Gig iPod’s hard drive with a working 40Gig hard drive?

maybe i’ll just buy the drive and D.I.m.Y… it seems easy by the looks. even if it’s not, it’s cheaper.

Posted by dottir on July 29, 2005 at 8:01 PM (PDT)

Hi,
I Live in the UK and wish to solve my problem with my ipod .....I believe its got a corrupt disk with the folder showing on screen with warning sign ....I also think the hard drive has gone wrong due to the sound that it makes…..which comes across as its stuck reading the disks internally…..please can you advise how much would it cost to replace hd its a 40gb ipod?
Many thanks
Rob

Posted by Robert Thomas on November 28, 2005 at 9:59 AM (PDT)