Teen sued over missing iPod | iLounge News

Teen sued over missing iPod

A 14-year-old Illinois girl is being sued by the parents of another teen after an iPod nano went missing during class. The Naperville Sun newspaper reports: “On June 6, the last day of eighth-grade at Still Middle School, Shannon lent Stephanie her iPod Nano. Shannon’s mother, Melanie McCarthy of Aurora, said her daughter had saved money from Christmas and birthday gifts to purchase the $300 iPod in late May. McCarthy said her daughter left the classroom to use the bathroom and when she returned, the iPod was gone. Stephanie, who had also left the room, told her friend that she had placed the iPod on top of Shannon’s desk. McCarthy named Stephanie in a lawsuit filed in DuPage County on Aug. 4. The suit seeks $350 for the iPod and $125 in court costs.”

« Tweeter launches iPod trade-in program

Report: New iPod to have wireless capabilities »

Comments

$350 for an iPod Nano? I know they usually tack on a little extra for “grief” or something, but doesn’t that seem a little high for a $250 product?

Posted by Michael P. on August 16, 2006 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

This is America for ya

Posted by Brennan H on August 16, 2006 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

They Really need to stop. These people are really getting out of hand.

Posted by Best on August 16, 2006 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

lesse now.

Lemme leave my EXPENSIVE and in HIGH DEMAND electronic gadget in PLAIN VIEW of everyone while I LEAVE THE ROOM. Hopefully no-one will take it.

And if they do, I will SUE THEM to compensate for MY STUPIDITY.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Posted by ahMEmon on August 16, 2006 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

Nano   -$250
Nice Case-$50
Nice headphones-$50
Sales Tax in my state $18

Adds up quick

If someone borrows your car, they don’t return it and lay the keys on the seat, unless they are stupid.

The borrower is liable, time to learn responsibility !

Posted by Smitty on August 16, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

ahMEmon, read it again.
The “borrower” laid it on the owners desk. The owner of the nano did not lay it there.

Posted by Smitty on August 16, 2006 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

As a Mother of 4 children who all have Ipods, I for one do not let my younger kids bring the ipods to school.  My Highschooler however brings hers and I have taught her the lesson Never lend something you wouldn’t give away.  I think it is outragouse to sue.  I think the money lost should be a lesson to the girl to never lend out things that are that valuable to her.  What leson is mom and dad Teaching?  “Go a head and be careless with your things Dear, If they come up missing or broke we will just sue someone else”  I think Parents out there NEED to teach their kids to be RESPONSIBLE for themselves.

Posted by Amy on August 16, 2006 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

Whatever happened to beating the hell out of someone after school? When did we start sueing? Geez, glad I’m not in high school now.

Posted by Jason on August 16, 2006 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I feel bad for the girl getting sued and the girl that is most likely being forced to sue her friend by her parents. She’ll probably lose a friend and the parents of the one girl will feel accomplished. Parents these days.

Posted by nojok3 on August 16, 2006 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

It’s her own d*** fault for bringing her iPod to school and lending it to her friend in the first place. Anyone would steal an iPod the first chance they get. Heck, I would steal my friend’s iPod if they lent it to me.

Posted by Joe on August 16, 2006 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

i bet this was all a plan to set up her friend. go america!

Posted by mike H on August 16, 2006 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Crazy. Why dont they claim it under insurance.

Posted by ryan10ad on August 16, 2006 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

As a father of two children, I have to agree with Joe and Amy - what the heck were the parents doing letting their kid take an iPod to school?  Do they encourage their daughter to blow off classes to listen to ‘High School Musical’ in hopes that the kid will learn something from Disney?  They need to suck up the loss and chalk it up as lessons learned - both for their parenting skills and their kid’s appreciation of things of value.

Posted by Jess on August 16, 2006 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

Hey, i live in naperville. haha. i read this story in our newspaper. Naperville is a really rich city, especially where these kids went to school. It’s a joke that they’re sueing over an ipod, they probably already bought her a new one. just found this really funny since it’s from where i live.

Posted by Braden on August 16, 2006 at 10:28 AM (PDT)

Jess, right on. And, btw, if she really did buy it with her own money, I doubt she would have let the girl borrow it.

Rule of thumb in our house… if you wouldn’t bring the cash equivalent to school, you shouldn’t bring the item to school.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on August 16, 2006 at 10:41 AM (PDT)

The girl should be thankful that RIAA is not suing her for copyright infringment for lending her music-filled ipod to a friend.  I have a feeling they still might do that once they run out of eldernly ladies with no computers.

Posted by Chahk on August 16, 2006 at 10:52 AM (PDT)

School is for learning..NOT for listening to(or viewing) iPods, texting messages or engaging in all the other electronic distractions instead of getting an education.
Both the borrower and the lender were iresponsible for 14 yos and the mother of the lender more so. Solomon would say split the cost and let the parents of the borrower fork over $150.  John

Posted by John R on August 16, 2006 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

this is some judge mathis/judge judy material

Posted by Brennan H on August 16, 2006 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

Can I sue americans for being dumb?

You never see stupid lawsuits in most other countries..

I am also sick of the stupid press reporting on anything with an “ipod” in it..

Posted by psxp on August 16, 2006 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Alawsuit is not a solution for this. The girl who borrowed the iPod is very much to blame, the girl lending the iPod is also to blame and if the family is rich then the whole thing is dumb. But still the girl does have the right to bring her things wherever she cares to. Saying she is the sucker and should suffer is just plain ... well “parent-like”. Stealing should never be allowed or suffered. And losing or destroying other peoples property is akin to stealing. And thieves should be punished. Once she borrowed, the girl has responsability. No question.

Posted by Just me on August 16, 2006 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >