Telcel announces iPhone 3G pricing, plans for Mexico | iLounge News

Telcel announces iPhone 3G pricing, plans for Mexico

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 8, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

Telcel has announced (Translated link) its service plans and pricing for the iPhone 3G in Mexico. Telcel is offering three different plans for the iPhone in Mexico, and as with other international carriers, it is pricing the iPhone 3G hardware based on which plan the customer chooses for his/her 24-month agreement. Plan iPhone I will cost 459MXN (~$44) per month, and will include 200 minutes, 100MB of data, and 100 SMS texts, while Plan iPhone II will run 599MXN (~$58) monthly, and will include 300 minutes, 150MB of data, and 150 texts. The Plan iPhone III will cost 799MXN (~$77) a month, and will offer 400 minutes, 200MB of data, and 200 SMS texts. Additional minutes will be charged at a rate of 1.15MXN (~$0.11) per to Telcel and land phones, or 3.45MXN (~$0.33) per minute to other operators’ phones, while additional data will cost 0.04MXN per KB, and each additional text will run 0.85MXN (~$0.08).

With the Plan I, the 8GB iPhone 3G costs 3,419MXN (~$331) and the 16GB model 4,689MXN (~$454), while with the Plan II the two run 2,159MXN (~$209) and 3,419MXN, respectively. Finally, with the Plan III, the 8GB iPhone 3G sells for 889MXN (~$86), while the 16GB model sells for 2,159MXN. All prices include 15% VAT. Telcel will launch the iPhone in Mexico on July 11. [Thanks, Bernardo]

« Apple changes iTunes Store’s iPod Games heading (again)

Apple confirms 8 am iPhone 3G launch, posts ‘Where to Buy’ guide »

Comments

This is too bad.
Once again prices are too high, and ¿no unlimited data plan?
As soon as I watch a youtube video, I’ll be paying my extra kilobytes.
I think I´ll pass once again and hope in the future prices will drop or stick to the jailbraking thing.

No cheers this time.

Posted by Zaci on July 8, 2008 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

Unlimited data should be a standard, Telcel always do this kind of stuff, ruin a great oportunity!, It’s expensive and stupid; 100 MB? 200 MB? Come on!

Posted by Carlos on July 8, 2008 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

No unlimited data plan? no way!
In the U.S. they will pay $59.99 plans and $199 for the 8GB iPhone, BUT, with UNLIMITED data!

These dudes in Telcel, they never get it right!
give me a break!

Posted by Barusch on July 8, 2008 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

This is absurd, almost 80 USD for 200 MB and 400 min, it should unlimited!! On top of that, I need a nation wide plan because I travel a lot so I would end up paying 100 +.

I guess I will stick to my good old jailbroken 1G iPhone.

Posted by Cask on July 8, 2008 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

Here in the Netherland all the plans have unlimited data, and we are not happy

Posted by dutchy on July 8, 2008 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

There’s a site where you can sign a petition, similar to the one the canadians have. It has a KB calculator, that translates MB to $$. Check it out: http://www.neltelcel.com

——

Los invito a hacer ruido. Visita el sitio http://www.neltelcel.com y firma la petición. Hagamos lo que los canadienses están haciendo con Rogers con el fin de ejercer presión sobre Telcel.

Posted by Francisco on July 8, 2008 at 5:21 PM (PDT)

There’s an unlimited data plan you can add for $57 dollars. So, $59 for the phone plan and $57 for the data plan that’d be $116 for an iPhone at $200.

Posted by Yorch on July 8, 2008 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

I live in Guaymas, Mexico. No way would I purchase any plan from Telcel, among the biggest crooks on the planet. I’m not the least bit surprised that Telcel doesn’t offer an unlimited data plan, but then I’m reminded that my Movistar phone offers unlimited incoming calls anywhere in the country even if I haven’t purchased any prepaid minutes, while Telcel only offers unlimited incoming calls locally.

Remember too that Telcel uses Telmex (another of Carlos Slim’s enterprises) for Internet access. Telmex is notorious for lack of sufficent available bandwidth during peak-usage periods as well as frequent (as in every several minutes) loss of DNS access. It’s so bad that users of Telmex’s DSL service need to install a local DNS program (such as Simple DNS) in order to consistantly access the Internet.

Posted by John Foster on July 22, 2008 at 1:12 AM (PDT)