Temporary fix for iPods affected by noise issue
As first noted in the comments of an iLounge news item, the audio defect found in Apple’s fourth-generation iPod and iPod Photo is apparently caused mostly by third-party headphones/earbuds that have a metal base around the headphone plug. When the metal base comes in contact with the metal case of the iPod, the static and hard drive accessing noises can be heard.
Several readers have provided temporary fixes for the issue. One reader suggests using a small piece of plastic wrap between the headphone plug and iPod, while another has had luck with a tiny teflon washer. Others have simply used scotch tape. Basically, any insulating material that can fit between (and around) the plug and the top of the iPod will work as long as it does not conduct electricity.
- Blue Raven offers “Service in a Box” iPod, iPhone repair
- Fastmac expands iPod repair program to include iPod classic, nano 3G
- Fastmac expands iPod rehab program for 2G iPod nano
- Fastmac expands iPod LCD service for iPod minis
- Fastmac expands iPod LCD repair service
- iPodJuice offers replacement batteries for 5G iPods
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Apple Watch to have low energy ‘Power Reserve’ mode
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?