Temporary fix for iPods affected by noise issue
As first noted in the comments of an iLounge news item, the audio defect found in Apple’s fourth-generation iPod and iPod Photo is apparently caused mostly by third-party headphones/earbuds that have a metal base around the headphone plug. When the metal base comes in contact with the metal case of the iPod, the static and hard drive accessing noises can be heard.
Several readers have provided temporary fixes for the issue. One reader suggests using a small piece of plastic wrap between the headphone plug and iPod, while another has had luck with a tiny teflon washer. Others have simply used scotch tape. Basically, any insulating material that can fit between (and around) the plug and the top of the iPod will work as long as it does not conduct electricity.
- Blue Raven offers “Service in a Box” iPod, iPhone repair
- Fastmac expands iPod repair program to include iPod classic, nano 3G
- Fastmac expands iPod rehab program for 2G iPod nano
- Fastmac expands iPod LCD service for iPod minis
- Fastmac expands iPod LCD repair service
- iPodJuice offers replacement batteries for 5G iPods
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple names Apple Watch execs, now hiring others
- Apple posts removal guide for U2’s Songs of Innocence album
- Apple medical trials will provide HealthKit insights
- iLife and iWork apps to be pre-installed on 64/128 GB iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Report: Apple gets 0.15 percent from each Apple Pay transaction
- Apple announces record 4M+ pre-orders for iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Apple and U2 to work together on music innovation
- Video Review: Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Apple delaying SMS Continuity until October?
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Awesome Cables 6ft Braided Awesome Cable
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010