Ten Technology posts new naviPlay FAQs | iLounge News

Ten Technology posts new naviPlay FAQs

Ten Technology has recenly launched a new FAQ section for the naviPod wireless remote and the yet-to-be-released naviPlay Bluetooth stereo adapter. Our readers have had many questions arise from the announcement of the new naviPlay, two of which regard the transmitting range and sound quality. Included in the new FAQs is the following:

Q: What is the range of the naviPlay?
A: The naviPlay is a Class 2 device and will have a range up to 8 meters (25
feet). Actual range will depend on the amount of activity and interference
in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, as well as the presence of materials that absorb or reflect signals. The naviPlay product is intended for personal use, not as a means to broadcast over a wide area.

Q: What is the quality of the audio provided by the naviPlay?
A: The naviPlay will provide near CD-Audio quality stereo at 44.1 KHz.

Editor’s note: Here are photos of the naviPlay prototype as seen at Macworld SF.

« Pepsi iTunes Music Giveaway begins

Apple Store offering 10% off iPods and accessories »

Comments

Does this mean that you can’t browse the menu’s through the BT adapter?

Posted by Prattieman on February 1, 2004 at 7:26 AM (CST)

would be nice if it could work with my iskin on, but it doesnt look like it will fit

Posted by ntt on February 1, 2004 at 8:31 AM (CST)

Ntt, it’ll fit with your lajo xskn3, though.  The newest info from him - besides describing how thin it is - shows an ipod with the skin on, as well as an iTrip.  I cant imagine this has less clearance than an iTrip…

Posted by Druid on February 1, 2004 at 8:34 AM (CST)

The “near” 44.1k quality made me raise my eyebrow. How “near” is it? looks like a good idea, but I don’t know if I’d use it for the headphone option just because my own experience with BT cell phone headsets has been spotty. I do like the remote control options it offers, though.

Posted by dangerboy on February 1, 2004 at 12:25 PM (CST)

the size of it kinda irks me as well
so basically you can carry the ipod somewhere else within 8 metres on the condition that you carry something else half the size?

Posted by ntt on February 1, 2004 at 7:18 PM (CST)

I worry about people that have wireless devices that work on the 2.4Ghz band, like cordless phones and wireless networks.

I wonder how an incomming call or an active wireless network would affect the sound/transmission of the device. Do you remember how it sounds like when you put your mobile phone next to a radio…you get that buzzing sound? I wonder if it will be like that. That would be totally annoying.

Posted by ILoveMusic on February 2, 2004 at 2:04 AM (CST)