Terforma releases iSleeve for iPods | iLounge News

Terforma releases iSleeve for iPods

picTerforma has informed us that they have released a new type of case for iPod named iSleeve. Made of molded rubber, the iSleeve encases the iPod like an armored exoskeleton. The iSleeve features a retractable HipClip

Press release:

TERFORMA LAUNCHES ISLEEVE FOR THE APPLE IPOD

New rubber protective case suitable for all iPod models: feature rich and all integrated within a sleek shape

ALBANY, NY—(09/22/2003; 0900)(EIS)—September 22, 2003 - Terforma(tm) today launched its new contoured iSleeve(tm) for the Apple(R) iPod(tm). Engineered with the iPod user in mind, the iSleeve is the first product on the market that fully complements the design of the iPod, providing users not only with a sleek, protective rubber case for business-to-sport versatility, but also unfettered access to the iPod’s dial interface and display. The iSleeve is available in two models for both new and original iPods, and both models are available in two complementary colors: nox/opaque black and mono/opaque white. It is also designed for use with the iTrip FM transmitter from Griffin Technology.

Designed with Terfoma’s commitment to form meeting function, termed idease(tm), the iSleeve’s rubber armor is not only smooth and sleek in design, it ensures shock, scratch and dent protection in all orientations while offering fully-integrated feature-rich benefits, including:

—HipClipT - unlike more commonly used protruding belt clips, the iSleeve’s ultra-low profile, retractable HipClip allows for an extra close fit to belt or waist band and stows away completely flush when not in use.

—StoBandT- the stowable sport band enables users to take their iPods on the run. It can be deployed as desired for extra security and completely hidden away when not in use.

—StoPhoneT - enables iPod earphones and wires to be stowed away on the backside of the case, providing compact integrated storage when not in use.

James Hoehn, Jr., co-founder and president of Terforma, said, “The iSleeve was designed to fill the void for those who value aesthetics and functionality. Besides offering a sleek design with built-in features which are always ready for use, we believe the iSleeve sets a new standard in form and function that iPod users will immediately recognize and appreciate.”

Melissa Nigro, co-founder and vice-president, added, “As an avid iPod user, I know there is no single product on the market that encompasses all the features we have integrated into the iSleeve. I am excited about introducing it to the iPod world.”

For developing its new iSleeve, Terforma turned to the Mack Group, which is recognized as an industry leader in the field of product design and engineering. Bruce Ginder, president of Mack Design, said, “We were delighted to take Terforma’s concept and design and provide the product development services for the iSleeve accessory. Mack Prototype, our sister company, offers a collaborative, end-to-end manufacturing environment for the successful fabrication, assembly and packaging of novel product offerings, such as The Segway and other inventive new products.”

Pricing and Availability

The iSleeve for the Apple iPod is available now at the Suggested Retail Price of $49.99 plus shipping and handling at www.terforma.com or www.isleeve.com

There are two models to choose from: the iSleeve G2, which fits all of the new iPods; and the iSleeve G1, which fits all the original iPods. Both models are iTrip compatible and come in two complementary colors: nox/opaque black and mono/opaque white.

About Terforma

Established in 2002 and based in Albany, New York, Terforma is both a business-to-consumer and business-to-business manufacturing company dedicated to the liberation of time, space and the mind through products of intuitive convenience and intelligent design—idease(tm)—that deliver the best in form and function. For more information, visit www.terforma.com or www.isleeve.com

Terforma, the Terforma logo, the Terforma 3D icon, iSleeve, HipClip, StoBand, StoPhone and idease are trademarks of Terforma in the United States and/or other countries. All other brand and product names listed are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and are hereby recognized as such.

« iPod 5GB for Mac or PC for $160

RadTech debuts iPodsleevz »

Comments

looks goofy

Posted by Phill in Texas on September 21, 2003 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

Looks like it ads a lot of bulk and it is really expensive.  Kinda reminds me of a styrofoam egg carton.

Mike

Posted by mike on September 21, 2003 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

and it doesn’t even protect the front

Posted by Joeysue on September 21, 2003 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

neat concept, but it isnt functional at all.

Also, their site is horrible. Entirely made in Flash, links are broken and interface is bugged. If they attempt a site in flash, atleast test it first.

Poorly made site that has loads of broken links reflects badly on the products. Prolly break in a few days of use.

Posted by Stasyna on September 21, 2003 at 9:28 PM (CDT)

I’d rather get iSkin!

Posted by 20GB iPod in Canada on September 21, 2003 at 9:32 PM (CDT)

Butt ugly—what were they thinking?  Bulky, but no screen protection.  Too bad they didn’t spend more time thinking about intelligent design instead of dreaming up nonsensical marketing words to trademark.  $50 bucks for this mess?—coming soon to a dollar store near you.

Posted by Scientist on September 21, 2003 at 10:48 PM (CDT)

Looks OK to me. I like the sound of the clip and I like the sound of somewhere to store headphones.

I would quite like to see some more pictures but unfortuntely I can’t access the site at all….

Posted by loGan on September 22, 2003 at 3:32 AM (CDT)

If you like a place to store headphones… try the Marware sportsuite convertible.  Now, that is an awesome case and is $34 at JDR.

Posted by Jolten Joe on September 22, 2003 at 7:21 AM (CDT)

Where do these companies get off asking 40 bucks for stuff like this. I work in product development for toys, and I can’t believe the mark up these companies are adding to their cost. These things cost like .85 cents to $3.00 to make! It sucks!! I guess because it’s for apple gear, they can ask such high prices.

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on September 22, 2003 at 9:15 AM (CDT)

Oh Cool! Now I can make my clean sleek iPod look as stupid as the Archos Jukebox, and still be able to scratch up the screen!

The stowaway stuff on the back is sort of cool though.

Posted by luke murphy on September 22, 2003 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

> I guess because it’s for apple gear, they can ask such high prices.

Well you’ve already paid around twice the market average for an audio player that does less than most other players available. I mean really! Audio *only*? Plays only mp3 and AAC? 8 Hour battery? iPod pricing is a joke on mp3 neophytes who value brand over usability. I laugh when I see them down in my gym on the treadmill futzing with their “non-skip” ipods because they skip. Gee, a rotating hard drive skips, who’d have thought? These people have been sold a pup. The tragedy of it all is that thanks to Apple’s pervasive, invasive Stalinist-style marketing they don’t even know they could get solid state players for much less than an ipod.

Posted by ipodoverpriced on September 22, 2003 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

Apple comes out with an Ipod that smaller then the orginal…but these stupid companies like this come out with products and make your nice compact IPOD a big bulky mess and then overprice it.

If I wanted something bulky I would have stuck with my portable cd player.

Posted by mike on September 22, 2003 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

There’s always a critic (referring to ipodoverpriced). As Patti (or was it Selma?) Bouvier said..“Looks like someone has a case of the green-eyed gazungas!” (Simpsons refernce…)

I’m curious as to what he (or she) uses…a tape player? CD? Oh, must be Sony’s fabulous Memory Stick products…oh, wait, doesn’t Sony also have “pervasive, invasive-Stalinist-style marketing”? Hmmm, I’m stumped then.

Posted by Scott M on September 22, 2003 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Hardly “green”—I have an ArchosAV that costs $600. But for what I need (video!) it does the trick. I used to have an older multimedia Archosa but the color screen on those models is pretty small—same size as an iPod in fact. But they are around the same price, so who’s complaining.

There are four new gadgets I like, and all of them manage small form factors. It used to be that to achieve the ipod’s compact factor you had sacrifice features, expandability, and functions, but no longer. Apple have a lot of catching up to do. I see the progression in MP3 players as:

Archos Studio - Model T of hard disk mp3 players. First to market. Poor quality.

Apple iPod - General Motors, replace Archos/Ford as leaders through customer research. Rested on their laurels though.

New gadgets - Japanese car makers. Spotted market leader was lazy and overpriced. Bringing better, faster, cheaper, cuter cars to market, that do more with less.

Rio Karma
Smaller than an iPod, and with FLAC (ie, lossless) audio recording and playback. Same high price though. No video.

Toshiba Gigabeat

RCA Lyra
Video! Nice and slim, but a bit wide.

Archos AV
Nicest video player/recorder of the lot (mainly bcos it’s their second-gen video handheld). But pricier than all the rest. Very sweet though.

Archos v RCA

Posted by ipodoverpriced on September 22, 2003 at 1:02 PM (CDT)

“iSleeve”?  There’s a misnomer.  iBrick, perhaps.  iHelmet?  iSUV?

Posted by Michael on September 22, 2003 at 1:43 PM (CDT)

I see you can get 30GB Zen NX for around $250. These have variable pitch, sturdier than flimsy iPods, longer battery (13 hours!) and REMOVABLE/REPLACEABLE. iPods are at least 50% too high mark-up.

Posted by ILoveZen on September 22, 2003 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

>> Well you’ve already paid around twice the market average for an audio player that does less than most other players available. I mean really! Audio *only*? Plays only mp3 and AAC? 8 Hour battery?

ipodoverpriced,

Ok, the ipod is quite expensive, but it is good at what it does, the wheel is awesome, and it looks far better than any other mp3 player out right now…

Sure the 8 hour battery sucks, but to me and I think a lot of other people, your comment that “an audio player that does less than most other players” is an ADVANTAGE… It is an audio player as you said, and really, that’s ALL I want it to do. I don’t want to watch divx movies on a 4 inch screen, I don’t want to play video games on my mp3 player (I’d get a gba advance for that if I did), I don’t want to store phone numbers and access the internet and use it as a cell phone…

All I want is a small compact MP3 player that’s good at what it does… which is play music..

That archos av thing is really expensive just the same, it’s big, and most of us don’t need video…...

And a lot of other players have all that DRM crap…

The ipod is sleek, clean, small, nice, plays music well, and yes, it is expensive….

And the accessories available for ipod just wipe out the competition….

Posted by spirit on September 22, 2003 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

> And a lot of other players have all that DRM crap…

AAC. DRM. A rose by any other name…

> And the accessories available for ipod just wipe out the competition….

Many of the accessories for the iPods are there to add functionality that is lacking or insufficient but that comes built-in with many other audio players. I refer of course to such things as skins, FM broadcasters, extra batteries, anti-shock cases, and anti-scratch panels.

Not to mention the small cottage industry in software that provides transparent access to the contents of the iPod from your desktop computer—without the iPod’s addiction to DRM it would appear on your desktop as just another external hard disk. Which is how most other audio players work.

Posted by ipodoverpriced on September 22, 2003 at 5:28 PM (CDT)

The same can be said for a Benz, BMW, Ferrari etc., but then there are people like me that are will to pay more for the attention to detail, design, workmanship and reliability. I believe iPod will be number one in the market place and not just because of Mac supporters but because of the PC users that are flocking to buy it and what iPod represents.

Posted by Lajo on September 22, 2003 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

Sorry I did not make a comment on the new case…....what can I say.

Posted by Lajo on September 22, 2003 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >