‘The Beat Goes On’ Apple event live coverage [updated] | iLounge News

‘The Beat Goes On’ Apple event live coverage [updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 5, 2007
News Categories: Site News

image

The iLounge team is on location at the Moscone Center in San Francisco for today’s Apple special event. We will provide live coverage of the event — a live update page and a live IRC chat are planned. For those of you using IRC software, login to the server irc.hashmark.net and set your channel to #ilounge. Closer to the beginning of the event we will be switching the site over to a “Special Event Edition” to provide faster-loading updates. The special event begins at 10:00 a.m. PT/1:00 p.m. ET.

Update: The event has concluded. To see the notes from our live coverage, check out live.ilounge.com.

« Mix: NBC, Palm, Zune, birdJam

iToner offers hack-free custom iPhone ringtones »

Comments

Jeremy Horwitz predicted that we were going to get “exactly the iPod I’ve been waiting for, forever” - but now it looks like we really will have to wait forever.

All I want is a touchscreen iPod with at least 60GB capacity - the widescreen is great and it’s perfect for music and movies.  WiFi is just a cool added bonus, although I wouldn’t say no.

There’s no way I’m going to shell out on one of the models released today in the interim.  I’d rather wait, but hopefully not forever.  How long do you think it will be?  And how hard can it be to attach a hard drive to the touchscreen model?

Posted by Deek on September 5, 2007 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

I just noticed that Apple dropped Windows 2000 support for the new Itunes.  I sure hope that’s an oversight and you can still use Windows 2000 with the Ipod classic.

Posted by mel on September 5, 2007 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

hey, thelottery, I think ChuckLDunn wants more than 16GB, which is what we all want.  We all want the 160GB touchscreen widescreen iPod!

Posted by Deek on September 5, 2007 at 12:04 PM (PDT)

I had the money here and waiting to be spent on a lovely hard drive based iPod Touch. Unfortunately it won’t happen.

I can only assume that trying to ‘flick’ through 100GB of music was a horrible experience in whatever tests they did.

Posted by sighte on September 5, 2007 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

will the firmware get upgraded for v5 iPods to allow coverflow etc?

Posted by Dan on September 5, 2007 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

The issue with using a hard drive is the latency that occurs with the touch screen technology.  You need flash memory to have it working up to standards.  If a hard drive was utilized, these boards would be filled with complaints about the lousy slow UI.

Why didn’t they just go with a 60+GB flash memory?  Cost would drive the iPod out of bounds.

Maintaing (and improving) the Classic and launching the Touch helps appease both camps until flash memory prices come down.

Posted by JM on September 5, 2007 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Not a bad point, sighte.  It would be hard to flick through all that music with less RAM and using a hard-drive.

But we don’t all need to flick, you know…

Posted by Deek on September 5, 2007 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

I agree with JM about the cost.  But people were paying $599 for the iPhone.

There are diehard fans out there who would have paid $599 for the ultimate iPod touchscreen with however much flash they could fit…

I would have paid $599 for a 60GB iPod touch.

Posted by Deek on September 5, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

I’m so sorry about all you disappointed Apple fans

The definite hype however will be focusing on their new baby - iPod Nano Video (V3/3G)

I’m just glad i got my 2G last year, so i can upgrade xmas time if need be. I wish they kept the Classic White - i hate silver!

Well done for iLounge bringing us this news first! THANK YOU - CHEERS!

Posted by Alan on September 5, 2007 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2