The Beatles still nowhere to be found online | iLounge News

The Beatles still nowhere to be found online

Despite initial speculation that today’s joint announcement by EMI and Apple would be the availability of the Beatles music catalog on iTunes, no such announcement was made by the two companies. While today’s media event focused on DRM-free music, a reporter was quick to ask in the ending Q&A session whether a Beatles deal was on the way, Apple CEO Steve Jobs replied, “I want to know that, too.” EMI Group CEO Eric Nicoli stressed that “we’re working on it” and said he hopes the Beatles songs will be available online soon. The last report on the subject claimed that the Beatles’ music catalog would soon be offered online, but that it would not be available exclusively from the iTunes Store.

« ATO intros updated iSee 360i, lowers price

EMI announces DRM-free, higher quality music on iTunes »

Comments

Who Cares.

Posted by Steve on April 2, 2007 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

June 1st is the 40th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper’s release. Look to that day for the announcement. Also The Beatles and their company have always been slow and steady with release material. When CD’s came out they released only select albums at a time over a two year period. This was to allow for maximum sales saturation and to add even more anxiety to the already pent up desire.
Expect Sgt. Pepper, and little else with release dates for other albums a possibility. Remember, also, that the Beatle Catalog was not just albums. They may choose to release all their Ep’s as wel as the box set of all the EP’s as a digital collection. The same may be done for the collected singles box.
BEaltle collectors will not be satisfied unless everything is replicated. We are completists and love to spend money we don’t have

Posted by Sal Salerno on April 2, 2007 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Yeah, but every Beatles fanatic out there already has their entire catalog in a digital format (CD), so unless they offer something new, I don’t see why people are so interested in this.

I mean, I think it’s great that it will be available, but it’s not like this will be the only way to get it on an iPod, which is how people seem to be treating it.

Posted by ort on April 2, 2007 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

I’m with Steve and Ort on this one. The only value I see is the marketing bullet of adding legitimacy to the new digital download medium. Oh wait… that one was already achieved when Metallica caved on their, “We’ll never ever allow digital downloads of our music” edict. I guess they are waiting for everyone else to arrive so they can make a grand entrance to the prom.

Posted by Rand on April 2, 2007 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

I can’t imagine why I would pay to download 128 kbps tracks that I have already ripped at higher bit rates from my complete set of Beatles CDs.

Posted by sallenmd on April 2, 2007 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

I Guess nobody knows the Apple release cycle. imacs, Macbook and minis out before may, WWDC for Xcode and other app maker stuff. And iPods com round about September, and I guessing to see Paul and Steve their.

Posted by ryan10ad on April 2, 2007 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

The only reason I’m interested is that they said the Beatles won’t be online until the remastered versions are ready for release. I’ll be buying the actual CDs, of course.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on April 2, 2007 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

I’m with you Code Monkey.  I am more interested on the remastered versions as well.

Posted by Oliver on April 2, 2007 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

allofmp3.com has the best methods of music distribution: you pay by quality - 128 is cheapest, full CD quality is same $ as a CD. Unfortunately BMI is forcing us into a higher price curve, but at least the quality issue is being worked out.

We music buyers, by way of Apple, are forcing the music business to evolve. Keep demanding less restrictive licensing, better quality and fair pricing and the music business will change.

Posted by DrakeBullet on April 2, 2007 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

Who friggin cares if the Beatles are ever made available online. Half of them are dead and so are half of their fans. Young people are not interested in them , and older folks already own the Beatles music that they want. This is turning out to be a trophy for iTunes or whom ever gets them first. Baby boomers still thinking that the Beatles are relevant are misguided and holding onto a past, a nice past but none the less the past. I believe that the surviving Beatles know that it is immaterial to them and the surviving family member of the dead members if they ever go online with their catalogue.

Posted by jim on April 3, 2007 at 1:49 AM (PDT)