The iPod is “hard to use,” creates new CD ripping service | iLounge News

The iPod is “hard to use,” creates new CD ripping service

“It’s the epitome of cool, a must-have item rated No 1 with teenagers, oldies and muggers alike.

Yet the iPod digital music player has confused so many thousands of new owners that the gadget has spawned its own service industry - to help technophobes download their own songs. [...]

Now companies are springing up to meet the need, including the London-based wePod, which does the hard work of converting disc tracks into electronic files for the iPod, using its own specially developed software. Even though it does not advertise, the new venture claims it has been inundated with inquiries.”

« iTunes Case Study released

Mac: iSight may interfere with iPod »

Comments

Anyone who actually uses one of those services truly is stupid.

Posted by Jon in Seattle, WA on April 3, 2004 at 10:18 PM (CST)

WTF?
I thought the ipod interface was user-intuitive.
And iTunes couldn’t get any simpler, some people just dont have the TIME to rip their 4000 cds because they have, um, JOBS.

Posted by homicat on April 3, 2004 at 10:33 PM (CST)

All this does is reflect the growing laziness of the world.

When I bought my iPod, I did not know much about ID3 tags, ripping music, organizing things, firewire, etc.

So what did I do?  I USED my brain, got on the web, and proceeded to educate myself about these things.

Yes, I can understand that some people don’t have time to do things.

This is a poorly written article.  If you read the rest, it goes on to list products that are “Hard to Use”.  The Pocket PC is listed as one.  “Hard to use?”  WTF?  If people don’t know how to use something, they should educate themselves.  Strive to better their mind and soul.

Seriously, if this trend continues, we could very well evolve into two races:  those who are technology people, willing to learn new things, or those who are anti-tech and refuse to learn

Posted by Cameron on April 3, 2004 at 10:37 PM (CST)

I’ve always said that, if life was fair, ignorance should be really painful, or really, really expensive. I guess, in the case of the poor woman who couldn’t load more than 500 tunes into her iPod after 2 weeks, using the song loading service would fall into the expensive catagory.

Here’s an idea. How about the international community get together and pass a law that says anyone with a shoe size that is greater than their IQ be banned from using anything more complicated than a pencil and paper.

Posted by C-weed on April 3, 2004 at 10:45 PM (CST)

well, i’m sorry - but i simply cannot imagine a better user interface.

and for those out there who think otherwise - spend 1 hr tops, as Chris said, and read the manual. or even just use iTunes & the iPod. whichever method of learning you choose, just choose it and do it.

people should pride themselves on self-improvement and maturity in all fronts of their lives, including the technology-based.

-jeremy

PS as for speed - i cannot see how, for instance, 15-30 minutes to rip a complete CD is in any way connected to the term “slow” - same goes for a transfer rate of 1-2hrs, from my powerbook to my iPod, of 6000 songs.

Posted by Jeremy on April 3, 2004 at 10:47 PM (CST)

I’ve actually never thought that these services were springing up because itunes and the ipod were difficult to use.  In fact, I merely thought that these entrepeneurs were springing up to take on the “sucker born every minute”.  The ipod is every bit as easy to use as satelite television, depending on the system of course.

Posted by Chris on April 3, 2004 at 10:48 PM (CST)

ah yes.. and as for that odd company who rips CDs for people..

why???

if they are actual (officially-released/submitted tags).. and if the customer has internet access.. what’s the point? plop the CD in - iTunes recognizes it - contacts CDDB automatically - assigns correct tags - plug in iPod - automatically syncronizes [depending on user settings]- done.

then, if there’s a typo/whatever in any of the tags - just click where it is (in iTunes) to highlight and edit - done.

people can be quite daft at times, i guess.
oh well.. what can ya do - earn money off of it ;)

sincerely.

-jeremy

Posted by Jeremy on April 3, 2004 at 10:51 PM (CST)

That entire article sounds like an advertisement for the service.

Posted by ron989 on April 3, 2004 at 11:00 PM (CST)

Why does anyone buy a new house from a builder?  If you don’t want to take the time to learn to build it yourself, you don’t deserve a house.  What morons!

Seriously people, stop and think about what you’re saying.  These services are for people who would rather spend their time doing something else than rip CDs.  You’re not one of those people.  That doesn’t make everyone else stupid, or the service a waste of money.

Posted by people are dumb on April 3, 2004 at 11:02 PM (CST)

people are dumb:

that is a very bad analogy. building a house is a specialist job. setting a vcr isn’t. neither is operating an iPod, ripping cd’s, or syncing your iPod.

every vcr comes with a manual. a manual that explains how to make the machine do all the different functions you want it to do. if you read the manual, and follow the instructions, you should be able to work the machine.

Same with the iPod and iTunes. All iPods come with a manual. it tells you how to use it, and make it perform all the differnet functions you might want it to do. iTunes also has a manual, and the nice folks here at iPodlounge have also provided their own “iPod 101” Series of instructions for doign the common tasks required to get music from your CD to your iPod and being able to recognise it.

I understand people don’t have time to rip CDs, but these ‘technophobes’ should enlighten themselves - i mean, they can turn the scroll wheel can’t they?

it’s not rocket science.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on April 3, 2004 at 11:49 PM (CST)

It is indeed scary if a person cannot figure out how to use the iPod. There are 6 buttons, one of which is scroll wheel. But I do understand how a person could be caught up in their hectic life and not have enough time to rip their CD’s, especially in the sense that a person who works would most likely have a large amount of CD’s.

Posted by iBookiPod on April 4, 2004 at 12:03 AM (CST)

First… It’s the independent….. and two… It tooke two editors to write this piece of noncense, see > “By Charles Arthur and Helen Johnstone” .....

Maybe they had “half” the brain to write this article :-) LOL

So, go figure out… give them one I-POD and ?

-arno

Posted by Lips on April 4, 2004 at 3:58 AM (CDT)

Perhaps I can find a service to breathe for me…or one to butter my toast, becasue I can’t make heads-or-tails outta that long, butter-knife thingy…

This article is recockulous.

Posted by angry_black_man on April 4, 2004 at 5:04 AM (CDT)

“but that fashionistas tended to be technologically illiterate”
What??? I’m 16, and I wouldnt consider myself a “tech expert” and I guess I got an iPod cuz its so cool.. as did other people I know.. none of my friends had any problem operating it. It’s incredibly simple.

Posted by Sypher on April 4, 2004 at 5:40 AM (CDT)

The Ipod is very simple to use. It took me 30 seconds to learn how to use the original ipod and no time at all to use the 3rd generation and ipod mini. Some people have more money then brains. Dont waste your money on stupid things like this.

Posted by WOLF MAN on April 4, 2004 at 7:06 AM (CDT)

There was a big ad in today’s Boston Globe, advertising a service to rip for $1 per CD (minimum order 100 CDs).

Let’s do the math. I have a farily fast computer and can rip 10-15 an hour. I don’t have an autochanger hooked up to the computer, so I have to be physically present to do it.

Would I pay someone $10-15 to babysit my computer while it rips? NO. However, it’s probably not the best use of my time either.

What I find more interesting is that its assumed that people who are having trouble ripping will be knowledgeable enough to load the MP3s/AACs into their music directories properly. Frankly, that’s the hardest part!

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on April 4, 2004 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

In regards to the house building comment, building a house has a few more pieces than putting tracks on an iPod.

Thgis “service” just re-enforces the idea that computers are not for everyone.  If you’re too stupid to use one, so solly, cholly.

Posted by RTFM, Peole! on April 4, 2004 at 8:45 AM (CDT)

THe point of the service is just to convert all the songs to MP3 or AAC, not to do anything else. most ppl dont have time to convert all their CDs to MP3s. so why not pay someone to do it. you’ve already payed for the CDs(hopefully), u dont have the time to make them into songs for your iPod, so, to quote Homer SImpson, “Can’t SOmeone Else Do IT?”

its the motto of modern society

Posted by Mike on April 4, 2004 at 9:06 AM (CDT)

To all those defending the ripping service. Fine, use a ripping(off) service if you have that much more money than time. But the article is reporting the need for these services based on the interviews of iPod owners who find using it “TOO HARD”. Give me a break. That has to be the lamest justification I have ever read.

Posted by C-weed on April 4, 2004 at 9:27 AM (CDT)

Lajo is behind this, surely.

Posted by D-head on April 4, 2004 at 9:49 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >