The iPod is “hard to use,” creates new CD ripping service | iLounge News

The iPod is “hard to use,” creates new CD ripping service

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, April 3, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“It’s the epitome of cool, a must-have item rated No 1 with teenagers, oldies and muggers alike.

Yet the iPod digital music player has confused so many thousands of new owners that the gadget has spawned its own service industry - to help technophobes download their own songs. [...]

Now companies are springing up to meet the need, including the London-based wePod, which does the hard work of converting disc tracks into electronic files for the iPod, using its own specially developed software. Even though it does not advertise, the new venture claims it has been inundated with inquiries.”

« iTunes Case Study released

Mac: iSight may interfere with iPod »

Comments

I feel STUPID just for taking the TIME to read the article.

With all this shortage of time, when is there time to buy a CD and listen to it anyway? It just seems to me that people live to work and not work to live. In the time it takes to listen to one CD, you can have 2 or 3 transfered to your iPod.

Posted by Wolf on April 4, 2004 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

how funny…

Posted by esra in PA on April 4, 2004 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

Right, this is stupid for us.

But I think it’s great for celebs who don’t normally have a lot of time on their hands to sit there and rip albums all day long.

They could just ship the ipod out along with X amount of dollars and tell the company to, buy all these albums and then put them on my ipod.

Posted by Schiano on April 4, 2004 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

LMAO!

How can you not have time to rip CDs? I mean if you’re a single mom working 4 jobs then you’re probably not going to have time. But ripping CDs probably isn’t something that’s going to be a priority there anyway.

I get a kick out of how self important people are that think that putting a CD in a drive is a waste of their valuable time. Maybe being a full time university student who works part time and volunteers 3 days a week I just have too much spare time on my hands…

David

Posted by David Rodgerson on April 4, 2004 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

did anyone see this?

if you are a big shot, your ipod gets pampering. whatever.

Posted by jeff miller on April 4, 2004 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

here’s something—celebs are lazy.  celebs have money.

Posted by schiano on April 4, 2004 at 8:46 AM (PDT)

Insert cd into computer (that cool looking thing with all the buttons). iTunes opens automatically (by itself). Click “import” (it’s in the top, right hand corner). Eject the cd. Repeat until you have all the songs you want.  Plug in your iPod and wait a few seconds. Go back to The F**kin’ Idiot’s Society of America”, find a shoe, and shove it up your a$$ for being such a tool that you can’t figure out how to use the easiest f**king music player in the world!

Posted by iPodman15 on April 4, 2004 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

I can understand that there are people who have better things to do with their time than rip CDs. And one day I will make so much money that I can afford to be one of those people.

But that article makes it sounds like the service is aimed at people who can’t figure out how to rip CDs and transfer them to their iPods. It just makes it sound either the iPod is the most difficult thing in the world to work or that people are just plain idiots. And we know that of all the players out there the iPod-iTunes combo has the most intuitive interface. You just have to question the writers’ motivations here.

Posted by starboard on April 4, 2004 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

and line about “fashinista” being technology illitarate is just plain stupid. If you’re in NY or LA, you’ll notice all the trendy 20 and 30-somethings are running around with PowerBooks and iBooks, with all the latest gadgets, including the iPods, cellphones, and pdas. Did the writers check their facts or did they just pull that line out of their butts.

Posted by starboard on April 4, 2004 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

This article was absolutely funny to find that so many people are that lazy.

When I got my iPod it was so easy to sync it up with MMJB and I had read the user reviews from people who could not get their iPod’s to sync with MM.  I couldn’t figue out why.

The iPod is the easiest music player to use.

Posted by iPodite on April 4, 2004 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

ahhh… they include the “iPod is hard to use” part just because the iPod is in the news a lot lately and people have interest in it and want to read something about it.

If you erase the part of the iPod is just an article about lazy people who can’t rip their own CDs for whatever reason, not just to put it in the iPod.

Lame article… lame people

Posted by SsnMx on April 4, 2004 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

wtf? omg!
the iPod is like the easiest device to use

Posted by james on April 4, 2004 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

To iPod folks everywhere the Indepenedent is a UK paper and I am sure I have read about this company before in this paper.  The long and the short of it being is that one of the two writers is probably involved (read consdultancy) or is friends of someone working for the company.I think it’s just some hokum they’ve dreamed up over a coffee to push this company. If I am wrong then I stand corrected but that’s the feeling I get.  As for it’s technology articles well let’s say it’s not Wired magazine or Guardian Online.

Posted by glad1959 on April 4, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Wow… come on… that’s too broad of a statement…  You can listen to music at anytime—on the plane, subway, walking to class, etc.  You cannot exactly rip your cds whenever you want.

“Finally if you don’t have the time to rip your Cd’s when would you have the time to listen.”

Posted by Schiano on April 4, 2004 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

Has anyone had a look at the website for [url=http://www.wepod.co.uk]http://www.wepod.co.uk[/url] this ipod conversion service.  Minumim order is 100 CD’s and it’s 1.00 ($1.85) per CD so that’s 100 to start with.the delivery is for one way and starts at 10 ($18.95) and maxes out at 20.00 ($37.90).  So if I handed over 100 Cd’s ( oh yeah like I would) and I lived way out of London, then it’s a 40 round trip delivery fee, so that’s a total cost of 140 for the service. Oh and I nearly forgot you have to hand over your ipod to them ( like that’s gonna happen).

In fact I feel like offering Gladpod’s Uk wide service just put all your cd’s in a box along withn your iPod and I’ll arrange collection by courier and rip as many Cd’s as I can fit on your iPod for only 100, which includes delivery. As a special bonus I’ll include some music I’ve put together using Garageband. However I’ll save over 100 just by copying your Cd’s into my Itunes and burning at my pleasure befeore I send em back to you. smile did someone say scam, shame on you!

Posted by glad1959 on April 4, 2004 at 3:06 PM (PDT)

I learned in a day (about 3 hrs), by visiting 3 sites, how to rip/tag/convert and setup my music and ipod.

Posted by Stasyna on April 4, 2004 at 7:31 PM (PDT)

My initial reaction to this article was that of many of you here…“Come on!  Too Hard!?  You can’t spend the time to rip your own CD’s?”  I find the use of the iPod OR iTunes too difficult.  If you don’t know how to use these then maybe you shouldn’t own them.  If you want a piece of hardware that makes you look cool, go buy something else.  If you’re a true music lover and can’t be without it wherever you go, buy the iPod.

On the other hand, while I relish the time spent ripping my music collection to my iPod, (a 40GB with only 6GB of free space left, which I filled to 20GB in just the first 2 weeks, with album covers and CORRECT ID3 tags),  I can certainly see how someone who doesn’t have the time to do as I did would find this service useful.  I don’t think its worth money to have done, but if they do, then their money is making someone else happy.

If someone paid me to do it for them, I would gladly do so.  I might even make house calls for a nominal fee.

Posted by Lindan in Las Vegas on April 4, 2004 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

I noted one or two others of those.

1 The iPod is easy. The story got that wrong lets forget that can we.

2 For some people, (yes the rich and those with a hectic lifestyle) ripping CDs is something they’d rather not do.

I may even consider this (but I’m not rich), spending 4 weeks everynight sat in front of the PC ripping CDs was not FUN. Generally you like to do the FUN things in life and pay other people to do the BORING stuff.

That’s why the ‘rich’ or busy people hire cleaners and baby sitters etc

Personally, I applaud the ideas of the people who set up the business, there is money to make so lets go ahead and make it where we can.

The fact that some people are dumb enough shouldn’t be a problem for everyone else.

Oh and to come back to the quote and the many others that said pretty much the same thing…well…errrrr, the iPod is a portable music device last time I checked, so maybe they play all that music on their way to work, or at work, or while they’re jogging, or while they’re on the lunch break in the park. You know all those places where it’s REALLY HARD to be ripping CDs in your FREE time.

Posted by SoloMalee on April 4, 2004 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

I bet the majority of the so called thousands having trouble with iPod are dare I say Windoze peeps. smile

Also, I ripped mine over time while I was using my mac to do something else.

Posted by glad1959 on April 5, 2004 at 2:15 AM (PDT)

Taking a dump is something I simply don’t have time for. Can someone else do it for me? Thanks in advance.

Posted by Goober on April 5, 2004 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >