The Register: DVD Jon unlocks iTunes’ locked music | iLounge News

The Register: DVD Jon unlocks iTunes’ locked music

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, November 21, 2003
News Categories: iTunes

“Jon Lech Johansen, better known as DVD Jon for his authorship of the DeCSS decryption software, has turned his attention to Apple’s locked music format. [...]

Apple negotiated a loophole for its iTunes Music Store that allows a playlist to be burned to a CD ten times. When Johansen’s program completes, it displays the message “Success! Fair Use Enabled”.

When iTMS began selling locked music in April, Johansen described it as the least fair-use hostile. Johansen’s program defangs it one step further.”

« Send iTunes Gift Certificates via USPS Mail

AppleCare for the iPod at $55 »

Comments

Wonderful. I love nothing more to hear of some multi-million dollar copyright ‘protection’ being broken by a single person. Hearing this news actually makes me want to buy iTunes music store songs.

Posted by Adam on November 22, 2003 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

Mr. Jobs, Not Impossible, Inevitable.

Posted by Bob on November 22, 2003 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

Great! I think FairPlay maybe one of the most easily DRM to be cracked. (current version of Windows Media DRM come out a year before FairPlay and not break at the moment)

I think Apple product has problem with software security. Maybe worst than Windows camp (but no one crack it because it is not the mainstream like Windows)

Posted by :p on November 23, 2003 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Actually, this is far more of a “hack” than a “crack”.  You have to actually own the file being worked on to be able to strip the protection off of it.

Apparently it works by reading the buffer inside of the Quicktime decoding engine after Quicktime strips off the protection, but before it decompresses the data.  Hence, any one of a number of simple changes to Quicktime will render the code inoperative.

Tell me, do any of you guys right commercial software that handles expensive IP?  I do, and having to protect my buffers against jerk-offs isn’t exactly high on my list of things to do.  I guess since the number of jerk-offs with computers and c compilers is going up, I may have to change this outlook.

Posted by Exponent on November 23, 2003 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Yep, Apple can change the code to disable this hack (you are right, it should be called hack than crack) but we all have current version of quicktime. (and we’re always able to use it for this purpose)

The only way to fix the DRM that already broken is completely change it (not always the possible alternative)

Posted by :p on November 23, 2003 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

Funny… It didn’t say where to download.  I don’t know If I’m allowed to ask or not, but… yeah.

Posted by Inferno999 on November 24, 2003 at 11:36 AM (PDT)

Sourcecode Here

You have to compile it using MiniGW

Posted by :p on November 24, 2003 at 10:45 PM (PDT)