Thieves target iPod | iLounge News

Thieves target iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, February 23, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Apple’s iPod music player is not only popular with shoppers - it is also becoming increasingly popular with criminals.

A series of muggings of people for their iPods has been reported, and experts warn the distinctive white headphones could be the secret of its appeal to criminals.”

« iTrip works with iPod mini

iPod mini autopsy photos »

Comments

I was mugged in DC a year ago, and they took my iPod… damn b*******.

Posted by Jonathan Silberman on February 23, 2004 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

i hope they dont start raping people for their iPods, cuz i walk home and lets just hope nothing happens to me…

Posted by Ninja Turtle on February 23, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Interesting…Well I’ve worn my distinctive white headphones nearly every day for the past two years or so and I haven’t been mugged.

Of course, being 6’3” and 200lbs might have something to do with it! smile

Posted by Jason on February 23, 2004 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

If you are worried, then just buy different earphones. Other than that, this isn’t really news—criminals always target things that are expensive and easy to steal.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 23, 2004 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

I’ve got something shiny and lovely in my pocket and it ain’t no Ipod.

>>“The other problem is that the iPod is so shiny and lovely that you always want to get it out and show people.”<<

Posted by Cretin` on February 23, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

guess i should start packing heat along with my ipod.

Posted by wfbberzerker on February 23, 2004 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

haha, we win in the end.  Once those criminals get home and see what crappy music I put on there, they’ll be begging for me to take it back.

Posted by dave on February 23, 2004 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

A good reason to engrave your name, plus an email address or something on the back, so a finder can contact you.

Or, at least, put return info in the Notes section.

Two reasons why thieves may come to know the iPod as the most traceable audio player smile

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2004 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Anybody who steals them is going to have to pay $100 in accessories just to use the thing…unless they come across someone who happens to be carrying their docking station, firewire cable and AC adapter on them.

Then again, you’ve got to be pretty carefree and naive if you’re walking through a bad area without a worry in the world…rocking out to your iPod.

Posted by Ryan on February 23, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

well i agree that most poders dont carry their dock and charger with them but then again I would not complain having to buy a cable(19), dock(35) and charger(?) so all in all they do win

plus unless they are like dave they will prob get a handfull fo good music i know they would get 7000+ songs from me

peace

Posted by rivlinm on February 23, 2004 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

The only places where people get robbed is in “bad” places?

Well, if I received an Ipod for free (legitimately or stolen), $100 worth of accessories to use it would make it a bargain!

The nonsense about engraving: The thief would just scratch it out. Return info in the notes. How about deleting it? No all crooks are dumb and some are even resourceful, I’m sure.

Posted by Margk on February 23, 2004 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

I don ‘t see anything here that indicates criminals are targeting iPods.  A mugger will take any valuables—camera, watch, etc.  They’ll even stoop so low as to steal portable CD players—imagine!

This sounds like a Channel 5 sweeps week teaser.  “What the bad guys don’t want you to know about the color of your earphone cord!”  Or maybe, “Coming up—How the wrong color earphone cord just might kill you.”

Posted by Barry on February 23, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

What I want to know is who in their right mind is going to go out in public with their shiny new Mini strapped to their arms?  Might as well just get the words “MUG ME!” tattooed on your forehead.  I use Sony earplugs (dark grey) with my iPod, pick the playlist I want to use before going out and keep the remote under my coat.

Posted by Fenn on February 23, 2004 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

Anyone that uses the included headphones is a tool anyway. Why would you spend up to $500 on an audio player and use $2 earphones. Dumbasses.

Posted by ipod headphones suck on February 23, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

does that mean i should hide my WHITE earphone? cuz its too easy to be recognized thou…

Posted by ed on February 23, 2004 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Are they only stealing headphones…... strange i thought theyd pinch unit….

Posted by Benny on February 23, 2004 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

6’4” 225lbs 6% BodyFat, Silver iPod Mini, White Apple In-ear headphones….....BRING IT ON!!!  I’ll just make sure the HOLD button is set so i don’t miss a “beat”.

Posted by gogoman on February 23, 2004 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

They’ll get it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
Now my Dell DJ…..I’ll pay them to take it!!

Posted by Anderson on February 23, 2004 at 7:13 PM (PDT)

well what i meant is the WHITE earphone mostly tells them “IM USING IPOD”. at least ipod users ive met so far use the white earphone.

hmm…im thinking about coloring my earphone….any ideas or suggested colors?

Posted by Ed on February 23, 2004 at 9:59 PM (PDT)

pink would be nice.  Or yellow.  The louder the better.

Posted by Earl on February 23, 2004 at 10:33 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >