Thieves target iPod | iLounge News

Thieves target iPod

“Apple’s iPod music player is not only popular with shoppers - it is also becoming increasingly popular with criminals.

A series of muggings of people for their iPods has been reported, and experts warn the distinctive white headphones could be the secret of its appeal to criminals.”

« iTrip works with iPod mini

iPod mini autopsy photos »

Comments

I’ve been saying this for ages, indeed was amazed at how easy people with iPods are to spot. Those white ear-buds and wires shine like you wouldn’t believe.

For that reason, I also use Sony earphones (sounds better to IMO). Never actually used the white buds (I own a 15GB Gen 3, bought near release date).

Any why “experts”, I’ve been saying it for ages…

Posted by Stefan on February 24, 2004 at 1:44 AM (PDT)

well pick is too cc personally. yellow would be great. thanks

i heard some of users bought the white earphones or stuff like that (i dont know what the model numbers are but im sure theyr made by SONY) cuz they want to have their audio system unified; WHITE WHITE WHITE WHITE (or should i say pale??)

Posted by Ed on February 24, 2004 at 2:02 AM (PDT)

Check out the Bang and Olufsen A8 headphones.  Aluminum earphones, very stylish and very light.  Incredible high-ends and voice.  Low-end and bass are a little weak, but that is caused more by physics (because these things are so small) than by design.

Of course, you then might start running into the problem where you get mugged for your headphones wink

Posted by Ender.Wiggin. on February 24, 2004 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

Ender, I used to have those B&O earphones and then I picked up a pair of Shure E2s.  The Shures make the B&O phones sound like a clock radio by comparison- and they’re cheaper!

Posted by Chupacabra on February 24, 2004 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

i’ve never even used my white ipod headphones.  i use the sennheiser mx400s.  great portable lil buds with fantastic response for dirt cheap. smile

Posted by chris on February 24, 2004 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

Apple should implement a Safe Lock mechanism on Ipod so the only way to unlock them would be to turn a virtual safe mechanism on the screen before you can listen/change/modify etc etc.

The Scroll wheel would be perfect for this.

Nice idea but isn’t really going to stop your average bone headed mugger I guess. I can only hope that the love that most people feel for their Ipods will result in a spate of mugger hospitalisations as Joe Public who would under all other circumstances simply hand over the cash is inspired to kick the cr@p out of their assailant!

Posted by loGan on February 25, 2004 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

Simple, just legalize concealed carry laws.  Robbers don’t like the idea that Granny, wearing white earphones, rockin’ out to the 10,000+ songs she got from Kazaa [Riaa?] might be packin’ heat too.  “Granny, are those dreads?... C’mon, Granny, my friends are makin’ fun of me… Don’t tell me to Chazill!  Put that gun away…”

Posted by ajhall on February 25, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Yeah, the gun nuts say that if everyone was armed, then crime would drop.

I say, take a look at some wonderfully peaceful countries like Afghanistan and Iraq, where everyone who wants carries a gun, or even a rocket launcher.

Total self defense, total anarchy.

If *I* was a “mugger” in a country where I could assume everyone was packing, my strategy would probably be to shoot them in the back, then take the iPod. Wonderful solution there Rambo.

Posted by concealed carry on February 25, 2004 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

Someguy tried to take my ipod off me while I was on the subway.Luckly my girlfriend kicked him pretty good and I was able to save my pod.
      NOBODY TAKES MY IPOD AWAY FROM ME!!!!

Posted by WOLFMAN on February 25, 2004 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

Hmmm, I see a market for a new kind of iPod with stun-gun capabilities! Now you can bring crooks to their knees while jamming to your favorite tunes! 3 different settings allow you to conserve battery life.

1. Shock (requires one bar of battery life)
2. Stun (requires two bars of battery life)
3. Kill (requires three bars of battery life)

Posted by Stylescraper on February 26, 2004 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Stylescraper-LOL!!!! The possibilities are endless…You can’t even begin to imagine how handy options one and two would come in on the subways here in NYC…Ohmigod,I can’t even begin to express… Ahem,sorry…I forgot where I was…

Posted by M. on February 27, 2004 at 6:46 PM (PDT)

Well how about learning Kung-fu and wearing the white buds anywhere you please, and when some stupid mugger stumbles by with his so called “Butterfly knife”, you can just simply break the hand by using your thumb. No money involved just pure skill, and for the mugger well he is screaming his ### of due to the fact that his hand just been rotated 360 degrease, and you wonder what’s on his mind well first is a lot of pain dashing through neural canal and he will probably never steal again.

Posted by Hacker on March 31, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2