Third-gen Apple TV found to have dual-core A5
The A5 processor found inside the third-generation Apple TV is actually a dual-core processor, instead of a single-core chip as previously claimed. Chipworks has completed its examination of the A5 processor found in the new Apple TV, and was surprised to find that—contrary to Apple’s claims—the chip is actually a dual-core processor. The research firm suggests that Apple is either utilizing only one core, or is “parts binning”, a process by which chips that are not up to full specification are used for other purposes. In this case, A5 chips with a faulty core could have the “bad” core disabled and then used in the Apple TV.
In addition, the firm also found that the A5 variant in the third-generation Apple TV is build on a smaller process—32nm—than the prior A5, which was built on a 45nm process. While the report suggests that the new A5 variant could be used in a next-generation iPhone, or potentially as a cost-cutting measure—shrinking the process also cuts the cost per processor—for future iPhone 4S units, it also seems likely that the smaller chip could be included in a future iPod touch model. [via MacRumors]
- NYT: No new Apple TV at WWDC
- Report: CBS to announce standalone Showtime service for Apple TV
- Apple confirms Apple TV to act as HomeKit hub
- Apple TV adds NatGeo TV channel
- Apple’s subscription TV service won’t be announced at WWDC next week
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Report: iPhone 6S may be slightly thicker than iPhone 6
- Apple Pay set to launch in UK on July 14?
- Report: New iPhone’s base storage could stay at 16GB
- Apple exploring person-to-person Apple Pay transactions?
- Report: iPhone 6S to get 12MP camera, 4K video recording?
- Report: New iPhone 6S LTE chip could ‘double’ download speeds
- Cue: New iOS 9 beta coming next week
- iTunes 12.2 release includes support for Apple Music
- Report: iPhone 6S to look ‘nearly identical’ to iPhone 6
- Appeals court: Apple conspired to fix e-book prices
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Soundfreaq Sound Kick 2 Wireless Travel Speaker
- iHome SoundFlask iBT32 Bluetooth Speaker
- IK Multimedia iKlip Grip
- Misfit Bolt Wirelessly Connected Smart Bulb
- Nomad Stand for Apple Watch
- MyCharge RazorUltra
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?