Tivoli Audio releases iPAL for iPod | iLounge News

Tivoli Audio releases iPAL for iPod

picTivoli Audio has released a specialy packaged, white version of its world reknowned PAL (Portable Audio Laboratory) radio as “the perfect complement to the iPod.” The iPAL radio features a rechargable NIMH battery pack, green LED power and battery status indicator, AM/FM tuner with Automatic Frequency Control (AFC), 5.1 ratio dial, adjustable telescoping FM antenna, bulit-in AM antennae, AC adapter and stereo mini-cable. “Use the auxiliary input to connect an iPod, CD Player or other device, and prepare to be amazed at the expansive sound, which must be heard to be believed. iPod can also be connected wirelessly using the iTrip FM Transmitter (sold separately).” The iPAL is available now for $129 and an international version for

pic

« Mac: PodQuest 1.2 released

Macally announces new iPod accessories »

Comments

It says “provides many hours of cordless playback*” on the website. It doesnt tell you how many hours the battery actually lasts. Many hours could stand for as little as three. Anyone know more about that?

Edit by Jeremy Horwitz, March 2005: iPodlounge has deleted a collection of negative and derogatory comments from “audiogeek” on our site, which we discovered have been posted by a writer for competing publications. As he has trolled and posted obnoxious comments in a number of threads, picking fights with our readers and editors, he has been banned from the site, and we strongly oppose his repeated mischaracterizations of various products and our editorial opinions. This comments thread was affected by his posts, and has therefore been modestly edited. If any of the other comments below do not make sense in the context of these deletions, we apologize.

Posted by The Shank on June 4, 2004 at 7:22 AM (CDT)

I have the original PAL, it will outplay the iPod by far (20 hours is a number I read somewhere that was supposed to be maximum playback time) it all depends on the playback volume though.

Posted by dj doc in Sweden on June 4, 2004 at 8:08 AM (CDT)

Nice that it is the same price as the other PALs, so that there’s no “iPod markup”.  I prefer the rubberized coating on the other PALs, personally.  And the sound is amazing.

Posted by thenightfly42 on June 4, 2004 at 8:44 AM (CDT)

I have this radio, and while battery life is impressive, 20 plus hours, I have some issues with the sound. This radio is somewhat boomy in the bass region, which detracts from serious listening, particularly on classical music.

Posted by wmac on June 4, 2004 at 9:05 AM (CDT)

Looks interesting. How good is the sound on this thing?  Is it stereo or mono?

Posted by bp4mu on June 4, 2004 at 9:52 AM (CDT)

Posted by Dee on June 4, 2004 at 10:22 AM (CDT)

Looks monaural.  Is it?  Or is it stereo?  Huge difference.

Posted by Obadiah on June 4, 2004 at 10:39 AM (CDT)

for a mono radio, the sound of the iPal is almost impossibly good.
rich and warm, yet detailed.
elements of the music seem to “bloom” outside of, and, all around the unit.
bass response is nothing short of amazing considering the single 2.5” speaker.
a very servicable external speaker for the iPOD, with a battery life of 20 hours at volume levels that will fill modest rooms.
very elegant and well made, as well.
i am truly pleased with mine.

Posted by pete 'n pea on June 4, 2004 at 11:31 AM (CDT)

—Dude, I totally agree. I have never understood these things. I have heard all of them and the best I can says is “sounds good for MONO”....but it’s still freakin’ mono. Maybe if it had an 8-track player too.

“I don’t understand this. Why do I want to hook up something eight times (or whatever) the size of the iPod to my iPod? Is it an amplifier? You play tunes on your iPod, feed them through this thing, and they sound better?”

Posted by Does it come with a wheelbarrow to carry it? on June 4, 2004 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

audio geek,
thank you for the articulate clarification.
i think you’ll be pleased once you see the iPAL. my colleagues have been, to a person, amazed by the sound created by the iPOD/iPAL combo. and, it does, indeed, look sharp.

Posted by pete 'n pea on June 4, 2004 at 2:16 PM (CDT)

Why does the international version(

Posted by Kristian on June 5, 2004 at 4:31 AM (CDT)

Group,
Tivoli makes some incredible, innovative,and high quality products. If you are interested in a stereo radio—check out their Model Two.  The iPod/Model Two combo makes one fine office system.

Posted by Chipman in Indiana on June 6, 2004 at 8:20 AM (CDT)

chipman,
i’ve no doubt whatsoever that the Model Two/iPOD combo would make a superb compact system.

just imagine adding their Model Sub…

whew!

regards,
pete

Posted by pete n' pea on June 6, 2004 at 8:52 AM (CDT)

I have one of the Pal’s and the rubberized coating is much better! You can hook up the Ipod to these as well with the aux in! The sound on these things are absolutely amazing. We have 3 tivoli products and they’re all excellent investments.

Posted by Derek on June 7, 2004 at 7:49 AM (CDT)

Is this speaker just a little better sounding than the inmotions? I owned the inmotions for a few days and sold them cuz I thought they sounded terrible. I am interested in the pal..but just curious with yer comparrison to the inmotions. I mean no disrespect if you think the inmotions sound good..I just personally didn’t like the sound..and if the pal is even in the ballpark of the inmotion sound..I would not be interested in it either. thanks…

Posted by Del Griffith on June 7, 2004 at 10:10 AM (CDT)

PAL sounds so much better than inMotion with their tiney penny-sized speakers.  Yes, PAL tend to exaggerate the bass but that is a typical way for speaker/consumer elctronic makers to appeal to consumers.  PAL is not the worst of them all and sounds pretty good.

I do not get what is the big deal with mono?  What, you must listen to techno in stereo because that offers you more insight into the artist? :)

I would get a good mono speaker/sound source than a bad stereo anyday, just like how I would prefer a good stereo home theater system over a poor 5.1.

Posted by Ken L. on June 7, 2004 at 10:53 AM (CDT)

Is it loud? I really wish you could find some specs on this anywhere, but I’ve had no luck. I know it sounds good, but what I really need to know is if they are loud enough to fill a kitchen with music or are suitable for an out door picnic or frisbee game in the park.
Thanks.

Posted by Jigga on June 8, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

jigga,

the iPAL will fill a kitchen with sound, providing you use the line out of the iPod dock as your source. it is suitable for an outdoor picnic, again, as long as you employ the highly attenuated line out of the iPod dock. as for a frisbee game, well… the players would have to be fairly close together, as the iPAL, despite it’s amazing sound quality, is, after all, merely a very low wattage, battery powered radio that is only slightly larger than a pint of milk.
hope this helps you gauge it’s suitablility for your purposes.

pete

Posted by pete 'n pea on June 8, 2004 at 1:21 PM (CDT)

Wow. Thanks for the info. definately helps. I guess what I’m really looking for is a boombox with an AUX port… Too bad I probably won’t find one that looks as cool or sounds nearly as good. :/

thanks again.

Posted by jigga on June 8, 2004 at 11:20 PM (CDT)

I just picked up a pal from a local store in my area. While the sound is very impressive..I’m not sure it’s $129 impressive. I love the idea of the rechargeble battery pack..and how small it is..and the sound definitely blows away the inmotions in my opinion..I just don’t know if it’s worth more than $50 bucks. Gonna give it a few days to see if it “breaks in” a little..but it will probably go back. I have the klipsch 2.1 speaker system for my ipod at home, sounds so amazing and was only $149 with a sub and 2 speakers! A little bity mono speaker from trivoli and it $137 after taxes. Why do these things have to be so much???

Posted by Del Griffith on June 10, 2004 at 5:54 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >