Tivoli unveils iYiYi audio system | iLounge News

Tivoli unveils iYiYi audio system

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 22, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Tivoli Audio has introduced the new iYiYi home speaker system. Available in black or white, the iYiYi features a built-in universal docking station for use with all dockable iPods, as well as a digital AM/FM radio, built-in alarm and digital clock. The system also sports two 3” full-range drivers, a remote control, auto-brightness blue backlit LCD display, rubberized knobs, Radio Data System (RDS) support, an auxiliary input, and stereo headphone output. Tivoli said the iYiYi—which apparently gets its name from the Yiddish phrase contextually translated as “what will they think of next?”—will be available this Fall for $300.

image

image

« Mix: iSpazz, CL Sound Machine, Steve Jobs, Coolgorilla

French lawmakers agree on compromise to iTunes law »

Comments

$300?  Does that include the iPod?

Posted by Mike M on June 22, 2006 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

$300?  Does that include the iPod?

Yes that includes the iPod, making the speaker worth $0

Posted by roger767 on June 22, 2006 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Tivoli’s stuff sounds amazing.  This is less than the iSongBook, and well worth the $$.

Posted by Doctor T. on June 22, 2006 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

This has GOT to be the butt-ugliest speaker I have seen yet.  Who designs this crap?

Posted by whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? on June 22, 2006 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

Actually the iSongBook has been reduced to $300 as well. The main difference between the two is that this one is plug in only.

Posted by Jason on June 22, 2006 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

That’s one ugly mother.

Posted by Steven on June 22, 2006 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

It’s funny with you ipod fanatics:  you decry products and accessories that don’t include every feature and then Tivoli develops a product that has an incredible feature set and you call it ugly.  It it sounds good and meets your needs then go with it.

There is no satisfying you guys.  How come I can’t shave with my ipod or how about the iWipe?

Posted by coprock on June 22, 2006 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

“It’s funny with you ipod fanatics:  you decry products and accessories that don’t include every feature and then Tivoli develops a product that has an incredible feature set and you call it ugly.”

Does it have a video out?  No!  They throw in a tuner and charge as much as the Bose?  I guarantee it doesn’t sound as good as the Bose!  I don’t think you will se Apple selling this in their stores.

Posted by Mike M on June 22, 2006 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Coprock- I’m not even talking about features…I’m talking about the sheer aesthetic of this hunk of s**t.  There are far more feature-packed/ better sounding/ aesthetically pleasing systems out there for the same price.

Posted by whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? on June 22, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

I kinda like the looks of it, especially the black.  I’d like it more if it didn’t have the iYiYi printed on it.

Posted by Jeddak in Louisville, KY on June 22, 2006 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

“I guarantee it doesn’t sound as good as the Bose!”

That’s a joke, right? You are using the words “sound” and “good” in the same sentence as “Bose”? Funny stuff!

Posted by Paul on June 22, 2006 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

I don’t get it? It is iSongbook with the exact same feature set but without the ability to widen stereo seperation and without battery power and without a colapsable dock. So you loose two highly worthwile functions for the same price, same look and surely the same sound. So what is the point? Anyone have any idea other than boredom on the part of the marketing department?

Posted by divigation on June 22, 2006 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

For my money this looks awesome. I love Tivoli’s stuff and the iPAL is one of the best things I’ve ever bought, period. As for audio quality, comparing Tivoli to Bose is a joke. Tivoli’s stuff sounds a million times nicer.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on June 22, 2006 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

Bose?!??! Are you on crack? Tivoli is in another league, man. Probably the best sound in this kind of product.

Posted by carmelo on June 22, 2006 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Mike M, your response completely exemplified my remark.

Posted by coprock on June 22, 2006 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

I am a Tivoli fan but this thing is horrid looking and frankly I don’t want it anywhere near me. I pretty much plan on buying a Model Two and using a seperate remote controllable dock because nothing on the market really does it for me. Tivoli’s new products are the exact opposite of Kloss’s original, clean designs and they are uniformly horrid, from the elimination of the tuner to more complicated designs.

Posted by akatsuki on June 22, 2006 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

whoever said bose sounddock is better than this is stupid as hell even the ipal(which is amazing) at $129 is better than the sounddock

Posted by killa on June 22, 2006 at 7:12 PM (PDT)

Wii, VIIV, iYiYi!!!

Posted by formatc1702 on June 22, 2006 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

OK you newbies - this really looks like a rehash from the 70’s and 80’s. Does anybody remember BRAUN from Germany? It used to a design icon and this one has the same design language. I don’t think it’s bad, but it was done before. Like the mini skirt - comes back periodically.

Posted by zman on June 23, 2006 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

What happened to all those retro freaks that lost all control of their bodily liquids with that Specktone drivel? This one’s retro as well, just in a different flavor. I’d think persons with your mindset would appreciate that.

As for how good it sounds…well, if it’s anything like the iSongbook I gave a week’s workout to, I’d PASS.

Posted by flatline response on June 23, 2006 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >