TiVo’s iPod plan draws legal threats from networks | iLounge News

TiVo’s iPod plan draws legal threats from networks

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, November 28, 2005
News Categories: iPod

TiVo’s recently announced plan to allow users to download and transfer recorded TV shows and movies to iPods was not well received by all TV networks and film studios. Several TV and studio execs told Daily Variety that they were even considering legal action against the company.

“TiVo appears to be acting unilaterally, disregarding established rights of content owners to participate in decisions regarding the distribution and exploitation of their content,” an NBC Universal spokesman said. “This unilateral action creates the risk of legal conflict instead of contributing to the constructive exploitation of digital technology that can rapidly provide new and exciting experiences for the consumer.” [via PVR Blog]

« Mix: iPod store, Narnia, Top gear, BenQ

iPod nano a big seller over holiday weekend »

Comments

Are the networks as daft as the record labels? It’s not like people haven’t been using Tivos to capture and redistribute broadcast content for years. All Tivo is doing is providing a means of *generating revenue* by providing an automated way of doing this for iPods.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 28, 2005 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

It sounds to me like TiVo is the one coming up with an idea to rapidly provide a new and exciting experience for the comsumer.

The position expressed by the NBC eunuch seems rather to be directed at *slowing* the adoption of existing hardware to play existing media content (which, incidentally, we’ve already paid for and which is under TiVo’s system already encumbered by a DRM scheme).  They just want to see how many times dumb consumers will pay for the same media.

Posted by Gitzlaff on November 28, 2005 at 9:20 AM (PDT)

I am getting SO SICK OF EVERYONE SUING OVER THIS CRAP.  Look, I WANT to watch yoru shows.  STOP TRYING TO STOP ME.

I swear I will boycott the next idiot company that sues over something stupid.

Posted by stark23x on November 28, 2005 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

I don’t really get why the networks are complaining. Isn’t this the same as taping a TV show and watching it later? And isn’t all this content free anyway?

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on November 28, 2005 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

The ghost of BetaMax is haunting me!

Posted by Poprox on November 28, 2005 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

While they’re at it, they can sue my cable company (for transferring the content to me over a wire) and the company that made the cable box (for transcoding the content from “bits on a wire” to “actual TV”) and my retinas, for transcoding the signal from the TV into information stored in my brain.

My brain, which often “timeshifts” certain “content,” bypassing commercials, and “rebroadcasting” it to friends, often resulting in illicit “chuckles.”

Posted by dasmegabyte on November 29, 2005 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

The television networks and music corporations such as ABC or Sony are really alienating their consumers lately.  We’ve been able to record television and videos for more than twenty years—not to mention, we all grew up making mix tapes long before we could rip/burn cd’s.

The technology may be new, but the idea of enjoying the content when the customer wants has only improved—not established.

Posted by andrew Chasnoff on November 29, 2005 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

I think it’s just jealousy - if the companies get apple to up their price from .99 for songs don’t you think that everyone that is on the fence about pirating will just jump to the pirating side.  If they leave it at .99 at least some revenue will continue to come in - the same goes for anything else.  They’re losing out on the revenue stream by not adopting new ideas and technology - they can use the fact that Tivo is doing that to get more money from advertisers.  I have a DVR through the cable company - I wish I could transfer content to my iPod easily but it takes a lot of steps to do so.  I still do it on occasion.

Posted by Dan on November 30, 2005 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

The Networks are just pi**ed that now, TiVo will now easily allow consumers to do what they are charging for (TV shows on iTunes).  Darn Technology!!

Posted by J D C on December 19, 2005 at 12:17 PM (PDT)