TomTom Car Kit appears on Apple Store | iLounge News

TomTom Car Kit appears on Apple Store

tomtomcarkit.jpg

The TomTom Car Kit for iPhone is now available for ordering online from the Apple Store in the U.S. and the U.K. The kit, designed as a companion accessory for their TomTom iPhone app (iLounge rating: C), sells for $120 and does not include the TomTom iPhone app; it must be purchased separately from the iTunes App Store for $100.

In addition to mounting the iPhone 3G or 3GS, the accessory can charge either model, and adds an additional microphone and speaker for hearing voice guidance instructions and making hands-free calls. An audio output jack is also provided for connecting your iPhone to your car stereo. More notably, the device also promises enhanced GPS performance even in urban areas through a built-in GPS receiver in the car kit itself. Contrary to initial suggestions of iPod touch compatibility, it is listed as working only with the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.

Note that the U.S. Store lists no availability or ship date, while the U.K. Store lists the car kit as shipping with 3-4 weeks. The TomTom Car Kit is not yet available on the Canadian Apple Store, despite the TomTom iPhone app’s availability in Canada.

« Shure introduces SE115m+ iPhone-compatible earphones

Mix: Google OneBox, EU music rights, Photoshop.com Mobile, WebOS-style widgets »

Comments

Here in the Netherlands we have him already, and the carkit is very good, you can also use it for your iPhone 2G (Yes it works people)!!!!!

gr. Willem from the Netherlands!

Posted by Willem... on October 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

This is ridiculous.  So all said and done you’ll be spending $250 (tax + shipping), which is more than some dedicated GPS devices sell for these days!

Not only that but there’s apps like Navigon which is a much better than TomTom and somehow it works great without this addon carkit.

The only reason I can see to buy this is if you couldn’t be bothered to do your research, and assume that this is a) a good deal, and b) necessary.

Even if you have a 2G, why not spend 100 bucks on an actual TomTom device with a bigger screen, better speaker, and doesn’t waste 4+ gigs of your iPhone space?

This whole thing is ludicrous!

Posted by Tim. on October 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM (PDT)

So, to clarify, it’s $220 to turn my iPhone into a GPS, when I could find a basic GPS for $80 and $120 for a nice aftermarket iPhone-integrated stereo? Why would anyone consider this?

Posted by Dave on October 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM (PDT)

Tim,

I see the concept of all in one has been lost on you.

Steve

PS - The TomTom app works just fine without this addon, repeat addon device.

Posted by Steve on October 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Steve

The concept of value for money seems to have been lost on you!

Good idea but bad delivery from TomTom.

Posted by Dave on October 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Here’s why I will buy the car kit: BECAUSE I WANT IT.

The TomTom app works just fine, especially since the update a few days ago.

I want the phone & GPS functions combined. I want a decent charger/mount for my iphone. I want an iphone charger/mount that can feed my audio system.

It’s all here folks. Quit ######## about the price and buy it already.

Posted by ricktheprick on October 21, 2009 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

Oh, wait.

It’s got a speakerphone too?

I may buy two (you know, so I have a spare).

Posted by ricktheprick on October 21, 2009 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

Rick you & the five other people with $220 burning a hole in thier pocket will have to tell the rest of us how much better than navigon this is.

Maybe I am going out on a ledge here, but I think I’ll wait til new year when they drop the price in half & show some rational pricing.

Like a wise man said there’s a toilet seat for every a*s

Posted by Xing on October 21, 2009 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

Xing,

I have the TomTom and the Navigon apps. I much prefer Tomtom, by a mile.

Why do I have both apps? Because the only way to evaluate them is to buy them both. You see, the cost means nothing to me - I want what I want, and I want it now.

$100, or $200, or $400 - it’s chump change to me.

Posted by Ricktheprick on October 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

Dave,

The car kit is not mandatory to using the TomTom app.  The app is $10 more than Navigon, has more up to date maps (from what I understand, I’m not a map techie) and a better UI.  I understand that Navigon has a couple more features than the TomTom app at this moment, and thats great.  But some of act like the TomTom app won’t be updated.

Again, the application works just fine without this, so the outcry about how much it costs is over the top, considering it’s only an option.

Posted by Dave on October 21, 2009 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

I’d like to know if the enhanced gps chip in the TomTom Car Kit will actually work with the Navigon app.  Like Ricktheprick, I have also used both the TomTom & Navigon apps extensively and I came to the opposite conclusion…Navigon was easily the best in many ways. I’m in Los Angeles and I have never, not once, had a problem get my directions within 10 seconds for my route, but I’m just curious if the gps chip is active when using another brand app.

Posted by Robert on October 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Placed an order for this today and the confirmation email said ships Dec 4th, delivery Dec 7th!?!

WTF!!!

I’m too much of an impulse buyer to be waiting for this!

Posted by ry on October 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

I too am looking for an all in one type of kit/app (charges/craddels/speaker, etc.) My main problem that my car came with a particular (Sungate) winshield that blocks UV rays, but it also blocks my GPS signal in a way that my iPhone is laggy, but wondering if the enhanced GPS with the Carkit would resolve my issue of having to drive around town with me hold me phone out the window smile

Posted by SSponger on October 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

Ry,
I faced something similar when I purchased the new Kensington mount with sound amplification (which happens to coincidently feature Navigon exclusively on every screen image printed on box). Said it would ship in mid-Novemeber but then within 48 hours I received an email saying it had been shipped. Lovely surprise!

Don’t get me wrong, that’s a lovely mount, sexy in every way. But there’s just no way in hell I can justify that kind of price tag, I haven’t even justified the TomTom app’s price tag yet. They’re really cashing in all their chips for these things. Clearly, their standing within the app store prove the diminished support for it.

I’ll stick with my $40 Kensington sound amplifying mount and pick up Navigon for the $89 and have plenty of $$$ left over to get drunk, thank you.

Posted by Leon on October 21, 2009 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

Leon,

So, you would rather get drunk once or twice than have something nice that will last a couple years, and that you use every day.

You bettert get yourself into rehab.

Posted by Ricktheprick on October 21, 2009 at 8:23 PM (PDT)

the beauty of a setup like this is, you use your phone to navigate to where you need to go, and when you’re done, your phone is charged (or was more charged than before) and you take it with you, so you don’t have to be leaving it in the car.  Just toss the mount under something or leave it there (in an upscale area) and walk away.  You don’t have to worry about it getting stolen.  If you have an ipod touch or another iphone as well, you’ve got two or three gps devices now, all for the price of one since you only need one software license…

Posted by bn on October 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

bn,

Are you sure about that single license statement? I own two dedicated TomTom devices and I can not sync both of them to the same account on TomTom Home. They can not both be updated from the same purchased maps either. This is a way for TomTom to control the distribution (read: get paid), but it also a way to simply fleece some of their most loyal customers. I would be surprised if you can sync the TomTom app to more than one iPhone.

p.s. I have written to TomTom on multiple occasions asking them to adopt a more family friendly option. Apple was able to do it limiting iTunes purchases to 5 computers. Why couldn’t TomTom, at a minimum, expand to two authorized GPS devices? They will not get even more money out of me until they fix that.

Posted by Mitch on October 22, 2009 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

For those of us who don’t have the money to spend on two $90+, and for those of us who realize that an iPhone compatible car stereo (with integrated Bluetooth and charging capabilities), this doesn’t make any sense. Google Maps (free), a Kensington car mount ($30) and a Sony aftermarket deck ($130) gives me the same GPS functionality while being considerably better integrated with my car and stereo than TomTom’s set up. And it’s cheaper. Where’s the appeal?

Posted by Dave G on October 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

I hope iLounge will re-review the TomTom software when the car kit is availabe, with an eye to both how well the software works with the kit and how updates may have affected the software’s “C” rating.

Like Robert, I’m also extremely interested in knowing how the TomTom car kit works with other GPS software, especially Navigon. Seems to me that if the car kit’s GPS chip works with the Navigon software, that might be the ideal iPhone-based GPS setup. If the kit and some software doesn’t bring the package up to the functionality of a good dedicated GPS unit, I’m going to go with one of the latter.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on October 22, 2009 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

#19: To give you a preview of our thinking on this topic, we are essentially convinced at this point that the costs and inconveniences of the combined hardware + software solutions currently available strongly compel mainstream users not to bother with the iPhone 3G and 3GS as GPS devices, and instead use dedicated GPS hardware that’s available for the same or fewer dollars.

The GPS solutions for the iPhone right now are not mature enough to recommend to most people. There is too much ambiguity over what will happen with map updates, bug fixes, and feature updates - as well as their prices - to make any one of the $70-$100 software packages a really “safe” bet right now. We continue to feel that the $35 CoPilot Live is the closest to a smart purchase for a person who wants to use an iPhone for GPS, but are open to re-evaluating that if and when the economics of other solutions begin to make more sense.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >