TomTom Car Kit appears on Apple Store
The TomTom Car Kit for iPhone is now available for ordering online from the Apple Store in the U.S. and the U.K. The kit, designed as a companion accessory for their TomTom iPhone app (iLounge rating: C), sells for $120 and does not include the TomTom iPhone app; it must be purchased separately from the iTunes App Store for $100.
In addition to mounting the iPhone 3G or 3GS, the accessory can charge either model, and adds an additional microphone and speaker for hearing voice guidance instructions and making hands-free calls. An audio output jack is also provided for connecting your iPhone to your car stereo. More notably, the device also promises enhanced GPS performance even in urban areas through a built-in GPS receiver in the car kit itself. Contrary to initial suggestions of iPod touch compatibility, it is listed as working only with the iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS.
Note that the U.S. Store lists no availability or ship date, while the U.K. Store lists the car kit as shipping with 3-4 weeks. The TomTom Car Kit is not yet available on the Canadian Apple Store, despite the TomTom iPhone app’s availability in Canada.
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- TwelveSouth releases BookBook for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- Report: Apple outlines more stringent requirements for MFi case makers
- Report: Bose products returning to Apple Stores?
- Don’t miss our Best of the Year Awards 2014
- Beats introduces Solo2 Wireless Headphones
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly comes out Monday, subscribe now
- Verizon to allow users to opt out of web tracking ‘supercookies’
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Chinese Government may require Apple to build ‘back door’ into iPhones
- Notes from Apple’s Q1 2015 earnings call
- Cook: Apple Watch shipping in April
- Apple Q1 2015: Record $74.6B revenue, 74.5M iPhones, 24.4M iPads
- Apple Pay support coming to more vending machines, kiosks, parking meters
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.3
- Apple TV adds 120 Sports channel
- RooCase ORB Tablet System
- Harman Kardon Soho Wireless Headphones
- Odoyo Power+Shell EX Rechargeable Battery Case for iPhone 6
- Patriot Memory Fuel iON Magnetic Charging Case with Charging Pad for iPhone 6
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- How do I turn off Reachability on the iPhone 6 Plus?
- How do I get a phone number on iMessage?
- Can I share in-app subscriptions among family members?
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards