TomTom intros separate Car Kit for iPod touch | iLounge News

TomTom intros separate Car Kit for iPod touch

image

Following the release of its updated turn-by-turn navigation app that added support for the original iPhone and iPod touch, TomTom has revealed that first-, second-, and third-generation iPod touch users wanting to purchase a TomTom-branded GPS solution will need to buy a separate car kit than the one offered to iPhone users. In a Twitter update, TomTom representatives wrote, “The existing TomTom car kit is designed for the iPhone. A new car kit for iPod touch will be available shortly in the United States.” The iPod touch version of the Car Kit looks physically similar to its iPhone cousin, and will offer a majority of the same features—charging, enhanced GPS performance, an enhanced speaker, audio line out, and a rotating mount—but will lack the microphone of the iPhone unit. The company has put up a product page for the iPod touch Car Kit, which is listed at $100, but has yet to announce a firm release date. [via iFun.de]

« Chinon rolls out AVi portable iPod speaker

iLounge and MusicSkins announce the Ultimate Design Contest »

Comments

Their messages are so confusing. First, they were cagey about whether the touch and 1st gen iPhone would work with the kit, even though there should be no reason they wouldn’t. Then they announce a separate kit for the touch and the 1st gen phone turns up on the supported list for the first kit. It seems that the iPod touch kit removes the mic and Bluetooth since the touch does not need that for speakerphone, which is fine, and obviously the reason why it’s cheaper. However, you’d think that the touch should still be compatible with the phone kit, but they don’t say. If you had both an iPhone and an iPod touch to share a car kit, for example.

Posted by Ryan Gray on November 20, 2009 at 3:41 PM (CST)

not giving a rip about bluetooth and speakerphone, I’d probably just pick this up for my iphone, if it was compatible.

Posted by shawn on November 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM (CST)

Dual electronics up coming iPod cradle has gps, Bluetooth, extra battery & a mic for all voip needs. Hope the price is good, sounds like that’s the most feature laden mount.

Also the Magellan gps mount sounds like it out does tomtom mount you can actually adjust it to fit iPhone/ iPod even when there in a case.

Posted by Xing on November 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM (CST)

The iPod touch is 0.2 inches shorter than the iPhone. So mixing and matching is not so easy

Posted by Bronty on November 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM (CST)

Hi, I just noticed that tomtom has removed the car kit for the iPod Touch from their web site. Have you heard more about this? I bought the app on the anticipation of getting this product. I hope that there are still some plans toward it.

Posted by Gilles Pelletier on December 15, 2009 at 12:51 PM (CST)

I bought an TomTom iPod touch car kit today at the Apple Store Southpark (Charlotte, NC). So far it works pretty well. It feels a little sluggish to a TomTom 930T (the unit I’m replacing). But it’s nice to have my GPS co-located with my music.

Posted by Art Ross on December 31, 2009 at 9:36 PM (CST)

Hi there, does the iphone 3gs works with the tomtom car kit for ipod touch? because I already have an handsfree on my car and the ipod touch car kit is cheaper…
Thank you.

Posted by jmanso on January 6, 2010 at 12:22 PM (CST)

Ok I have an iPod touch 4 and I make calls from it all the time using textfree with voice app u can text and call receive calls from it so why would they remove the Bluetooth , microphone feature all I need is a wifi signal which my girlfriends HTC Evo 4G puts out a mobile hotspor wifi so I have wifi all the time right now writing this I’m using fedex stores wifi I just made a call so WTF why ? The iPod touch 4 is an iPhone especially when jailbroken gives u many more features I can’t even begin to explain but it’s awesome I would not own an apple device if it could not be jailbroke I would then have android but o love my never-ending possibilities on my Jailbroke IPod Touch 4 Gen.
Also for peeps who wanna jailbreak it’s simple go in safari type jailbreakme.com click install watch Cydia app upload then get anything you want for free apps games music instantly no computer needed. Read up cool shit jailbreakme.com.  !!!

Posted by Clint Spec V on September 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM (CDT)