Top 10 reasons iTunes Music Store will beat competition | iLounge News

Top 10 reasons iTunes Music Store will beat competition

Blogger Bill Palmer has compiled a Top 10 list of interesting reasons why the iTunes Music Store will beat the competition. “Don’t look now, but just as Apple is about to launch the iTunes Music Store for Windows, here comes a slew of competitors high and low. Here’s why the competition doesn’t stand a chance.”

« Updated: iLounge to cover Apple music event, join us on IRC

AP: Apple facing more music rivals »

Comments

Oh, almost forgot: I believe Microsoft sold off that $150 million of stock soon after the 5-year hold time was up…and had themselves a tidy profit of around 120% or so (I think they bought in at around $12/share, pre-split, and sold at around $15, post-split; I could be wrong about the amounts, though). Point being, they never had any actual “control” over Apple, and since they sold off their stock, they don’t have any now either, even for image’s sake.

Posted by Charles Gaba on October 20, 2003 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

I’ve enjoyed reading Bill Palmer’s blog since I discovered it several months back. I understand Bill’s enthusiasm for the Mac platform. You see I was a Windows user. (Yes, I admit it.) Then three years ago, I went to work for a company where Macs were on every desk.

To make this story short, I bought an iBook back in March. Reason? The Macintosh is a more thoughtfully designed machine from both a hardware and software perspective than any Windows machine I’ve ever used/owned. It’s a more stable operating system, too—BSD under the hood. No “blue screens of death.” I’ve heard people say that XP doesn’t do the blue screen of death anymore, but ironically, I got a blue screen of death just yesterday on my XP ThinkPad. The Mac is, to sum up, a beautiful machine, not only to look at but to use.

So if we Mac users seem a little too excited—“biased”—about our computers, think about the last time you felt that way about a Windows/Intel machine. For me, it was opening the box on a new Wintel machine and it would usually last until I plugged the new machine in and turned it on. Then the honeymoon was over, and the drudgery of using Windows set in.

And just in case someone accuses me of being biased, let me set the record straight. I am. Macs are better than Windows machine, in my opinion. And I think if you asked Bill Palmer if he was trying to be objective in his blog, he’d say, “No way!” Mac users are excited about their machines and about the moves/developments/releases that Apple has been making. It’s an exciting time to be an Apple fanatic. If that bothers you just turn up the volume on the stream of mind-numbing babble coming out of Redmond, Washington, and drowned us out.

My name is Joe Henry, and I’m a switcher. wink

Posted by Joe Henry on October 21, 2003 at 3:51 AM (PDT)

Wow. It is amazing what a person saying “hey, I like this product and I think it’s cool!” will do to others when it involves an OS. It’s like the never-ending damn Ford vs Chevy #### in the South.

Windows-users, quit looking as stupid as the Southern cousins, and come up with ten examples of how M$ innovated anything for your personal home use.

I’m not talking buying a company and stamping their name on it, I’m talking patents held, licenses held, and who had what first.

Wanna keep sending your money to a company that strips the beauty out of anything they purchase and then sells it for a fee that we should NOT be paying all in the name of innovation? Fine. But don’t whine and ##### and moan like little schoolgirls when someone else says “hey, i’m having a pretty dam good experience in this OS”.

Posted by billyO on October 21, 2003 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

Dear c.c.r.

You don’t do much research do you? On your point about the 75 stores. First off, it’s not the stores are blocks from each other. They are placed in specific, urban areas to reach the widest base with minimal cost.

Second, with 50 stores, Apple had 32% of the U.S. population living within 15 miles of a store. That’s drivable, busable, trainable. They are mostly in urban areas, which means all of those transportations are available.

With 75 stores, Apple will be close to 50% at 48%. In 2000, the U.S. gov. estimated the total population was around 281million. That means that around 134 million will be within Apple’s retail reach.

Apple isn’t stupid, nor is Starbucks. But Starbucks is pandering something that people don’t want to walk more than three blocks for, so in some cases, at least in a city as Seattle or Chicago or New York, there are areas where Starbucks are literally one city block from one another. In multiples.

Apple sells software and computers. Not coffee. But with their placement, and with their handy-dandy online presence, they are reaching more of the general populance of the U.S.

Posted by billyO on October 21, 2003 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

billyO, i dont need to make a top 10 list about windows OS.  Why?
First, because windows in general blows for stability, although this is mainly because windows machines have to be able to accept EVERY device ever made, whereas Apple has (had for a long time at least) the right and ability to tell a company they could not produce something for the macs.

Two- BSD has always been the little brother say and speak version of open source, so dont brag about that one.

Three- The numbers speak for themselves, what has ms done? how about been the best marketting company in the history of the world, turning their originally one, inferior product that most could do better by going with a free version, and making it the most popular in the world!

Four- MS does have a habit of using mergers and buy outs to expand business, but this is considered just good business, no more, no less.

Five- too many apple users judge PC’s by the ms product line for it.  You forget that the most powerful and stable OS in the world was actually made by a group of opensourcers, and is only easily available for PC’s.  More devices are sold for pcs, PC’s utilize the best technology in most cases (dont even go G5 dual 2 gigs, its just a cheap 64 bit server that couldnt even outperform the low end athalon 64).

PCs at the moment are even grabbing most of the previously apple business places.  The reason? If someone tries to screw you over anything in the pc world, you go to another company, with apple, you bend over.  Plus, when the dual 2 gig G5, the best mac ever can be outperformed by a computer with a chip for ~5/8 the price, it doesnt look good.

Posted by the Keaner on October 21, 2003 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

>>...too many apple users judge PC’s by the ms product line for it.  You forget that the most powerful and stable OS in the world was actually made by a group of opensourcers, and is only easily available for PC’s.

I’ve never heard a Mac user slam Linux users at all. The only downside to Linux is that it is *really* difficult to use and things like getting 802.11b wireless to work are insanely difficult. I installed RedHat on my PC and tried to get my wireless card to work. I had to compile a driver and I gave up when it complained that I lacked some header file. This was *after* I had done research on the web to try to find the most Linux friendly 802.11b card that I could find. The only information I could find turned out to not be accurate and be insanely difficult to follow. I’m a software developer for a living (Mac and Windows C++). but that doesn’t mean I have infinite time and patience to set up a computer for my daughter to use. Finally, I just bought her an iBook since I couldn’t get the Linux laptop on the network.

If you want to go through the hassel of using Linux - more power to you. (And Linux will run on a Mac.) If you’re just holding Linux up while using Windows in a feeble attempt to bash the Mac, you’re an idiot.

>>  More devices are sold for pcs,

But if I’m using Linux, good luck trying to get it to work. Even with Windows, it can be hard to get brand new things to work.

>>PC’s utilize the best technology in most cases

That’s just a really weak argument. For every PC first cool thing you can show me, there is a Mac first cool thing I can show you. The real difference is when something new comes out on the Mac, it isn’t released until it really works and is somewhat easy to use.

For example, CD-ROMs came out on Mac before PC. So did DVD burning. 802.11b was out on PC first, but worked on the Mac first. Same for USB. PCs had notebook computers first, but the original line of PowerBooks were amazingly better than anything on PC.

I will concede that the PC is better than the Mac for games because of a wider assortment of titles. That’s why I have a PlayStation 2 in addition to a Mac.

Posted by brant on October 21, 2003 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

Brant, i also am a software developer, although not yet professionally (still in high school).  Mandrake worked with my wireless flawlessly with less than 2 minutes worth of work.  Mandrake linux is basically bullet proof, has a safer, more osx version, yet still allows full access to the OS system. —Linux is difficult to run on macs, hense my line above.  All i am saying is that mac users tend to be a little judgemental about PC’s based on experiences with what is perhaps the worst OS out there.

Mac users tend to bash PC’s in general, and most of the arguements come from the fact that some run windows.  Also, i have yet to find a device that runs on either windows or mac that doesnt run on linux- linux comes with perhaps the greatest assortment of drivers and support, making new product support almost instantanious.

About the technology- first, CD-Roms were not utilized in Macs first, that belongs to the whitebox PC community (self builders that almost always use custom bios settings that allow them to utilize the best and the newest), same with DVD writers.  802.11b worked fine for me under windows 3.1, so i highly doubt that it worked on a mac first.  USB- although not popular for windows users immediately, and it was forced upon mac users who didnt want it at the time (try finding any newsgroup from then), was extremely popular for the whitebox community, and infact,  ran there first i would bet.  For notebooks, the original powerbooks were not much better than the original pcs, if at all better.

I concede that macs do have a niche of users that enjoy them, but unfortunately, the users seem to me to be a little vocal and uninformed about the PC world when they bash the pc.

You forget, the pc has 9 times the userbase that apple computers do, my question is, why?
Good marketing, or superior product? Eitherway, pcs still did stand the test of time, and are still outperforming and selling, even taking a good portion of apple business marketshare, today.

Posted by the Keaner on October 21, 2003 at 4:49 PM (PDT)

Keaner,

The Mac is a PC, too. Just to clarify. In fact, the Mac was the first PC.

Posted by Joe Henry on October 22, 2003 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

“The Mac is a PC, too. Just to clarify. In fact, the Mac was the first PC.”

No, you’re wrong. The first “PC” was the IBM PC. The first personal computer was the Altair, or possibly the Sol 1. There were a few odd French and Canadian personal computers in the early 1970s but nobody was interested in them.

The first Windowing system was the Xerox Alto, then the Xerox Star. Steve Jobs convinced Apple to copy Xerox’s user interface and make the Apple Lisa, but it was a dog. When Jobs got pulled off the Lisa, he took over Jef Raskin’s Macintosh project and turned that into a a very basic Windowing system. Later on, when the Mac was outselling the Lisa, the Lisa wa renamed the “Macintosh XL”. Eventually, the Lisa died.

Posted by PC on October 22, 2003 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

Joe and PC, just to clearify a point, the Mac is not considered a “Personal Computer” in the community for a few reasons.

First, the apples use a different setup for hardware, and are considered a separate product, so, when the term IBM compatible died, and they were just called PC’s, apple and Jobs kind of revolted.
Jobs, in an attempt to seperate himself from the PC mantra, ran a campaign that effectively took the PC out of the apple lines forever.
Apple further seperated themselves from PC’s in the court case that gave them complete rights to the apple aratecture(sp).  Until then, because the rights of the ‘PC’ as we know it today were made similar to the general public licence, apple could no longer protect their investment, as other companies would be able to build apples, and in fact did for a time.  In the case, apple argued that because of the differences between the two, the macintosh was not a personal computer.

So by terminology, the Macs are not PC’s, by word definition, it could be construed as being a personal computer, but even apple has rejected that claim up until the G5.

Posted by the Keaner on October 22, 2003 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

So you’re using marketing decisions on the part of Apple to say the Mac isn’t a personal computer? Are you really going to start a semantic argument about what the term “personal computer” means? Do we need then to start segmenting computers into WCs (work computers), too? Good grief. The term PC has become so bastardized, but we sure as s*** won’t let those d*** Mac users use the term. Now who is being a tad bit “pretentious and arrogant?” (A charge blanket-leveled at all Mac users earlier in this thread.)

By the way, the Mac has been based on the PowerPC chip, produced coincidentally by IBM and Motorola, since 1984. But the Mac isn’t a PC. wink

Posted by Joe Henry on October 23, 2003 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

Typo: 1994, instead of 1984. Some day I’ll learn how to type.

Posted by Joe Henry on October 23, 2003 at 2:39 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2