Toshiba announces 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive | iLounge News

Toshiba announces 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive

“Toshiba Storage Device Division (SDD), the industry pioneer in small form factor storage, today announced a new family of 1.8-inch hard disk drives (HDDs) that deliver the industry’s highest capacities in this category with its 30GB “MK3006GAL” and 60GB “MK6006GAH.” These drives also feature improved shock tolerance, power consumption and vibration control for better performance in mobile consumer electronics devices.

To achieve this industry-leading capacity, Toshiba has set a new benchmark for areal density in the 1.8-inch HDD category at 93.5 gigabits per square inch. This has allowed Toshiba to pack 30GB of data onto a single 1.8-inch platter, an increase of 50 percent over current models, delivering drives that are ideally suited for in-demand consumer electronics products such as mobile audio players and mobile notebook PCs.”

This formal announcement confirms Toshiba’s earlier revelation in Taiwan of the new 60GB drive, for which the company said Apple had already placed orders. The new details on size (60GB is the same thickness as current 40GB iPods; 30GB is same size as current 20GB models) and power consumption (lower) suggest that future iPods based on the new drive will be in cases of the same size as today’s models, but should feature even better battery life.

« Shure E3c earphones for $122

iTunes for Linux »

Comments

Damm - Christmas 60gig iPOD, my guess….?  Sometimes I hate to love Apple.

Posted by jpt1 in Fresno on August 4, 2004 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

why the 40gig get the same form factor as the current 20gb line?

40gb & 60gb of e same size?

Did Apple even mentioning of introducing a 60gb iPod?

Posted by jm on August 4, 2004 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Wow, really posting old news here.  About 4 months ago they announced this and said they where shipping “hundreds of thousands” of units a month to apple, yet a few weeks ago, jobs insisted over and over there will not be, nor will there ever be, a 60 gig ipod.  Who’s lying here?  Time will tell.

Posted by acemilo on August 4, 2004 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Like ace said…only time will tell.

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on August 4, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

maybe they’ll have a cradle like device that the iPod snaps into that includes a 60GB drive and another 12 hour battery. Just think 24 hours of music and 80-100GB of space… hehehe….

Posted by nothinglower on August 4, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

What would be the point of that? Taking a small, sleek, portable device, and snapping onto something else?

I hope not…

Posted by The Podinator on August 4, 2004 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

IMHO, 40 gig is more than enough room for a music maniac like me.  Beyond that it would become a challenge trying to manage (i.e. navigate) 60 gigs worth of MP3’s. I have 8,500+ songs on my 4th gen 40 gig iPod and the only reason I would consider upgrading to a 60 gig iPod is for storing other files and documents.

Posted by -jcs on August 4, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

Looks like 30GB and 60Gb will be the standard Ipod sizes by the end of the year.

Posted by drunkfairy on August 4, 2004 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

Jobs did not insist there will not be nor ever will be.  He said, and I quote: “We have no plans WITH REGARD TO ANNOUNCING a 60GB model.”

I take this as: “Yes, we are developing a 60GB iPod, but we’re not ready to announce it to the world yet.”

Posted by Xenoxide on August 4, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

“IMHO, 40 gig is more than enough room for a music maniac like me. Beyond that it would become a challenge trying to manage (i.e. navigate) 60 gigs worth of MP3’s.”

If you check I think you’ll find a lot of us with over 15GB of non music files on our iPods. We use it as mobile hard drives moving data from one place to another or as a mobile backup. I currently only have 4GB of music plus about 6 GB of audio (audio.com and CD audio books) on my 30GB iPod.

I’m looking forward to the day that Macs will have the “Home on iPod” feature where my Mac user account is on my iPod and comes up on whatever Mac I connect it to. For that, a 60GB hard drive will feel cramped.

Posted by Sabon on August 4, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

surprise! 40gig iPods are actually 60gig iPods!

Posted by dethbrakr on August 4, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I can tell you 40gb is NOT enough for a music maniac like me.  I have well over 43gb and find it a pain having to decide what I don’t want on my ipod.  I feel wrong not having all my music with me.  I EAGERLY anticipate this 60gb iPod =)

Posted by thaibruin on August 4, 2004 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

You need loads of GB if you play lossless files

Posted by splodge on August 4, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Damn! So I just ordered mine and it’s already outdated:-p
So there are no plans for a 60gb ipod, just like there were no plans for a g4 ibook in winter/spring 2003.
Unless there are no plans for a 60gb ipod because there are plans for a 60gb something else….. hmmm…. Yummy.

Posted by Thume on August 4, 2004 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

For an audiophile like me, 60GB is not enough space to store all my music on it in lossless format.

Posted by Audman on August 4, 2004 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

hello, QuickTime Portable.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on August 4, 2004 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

Get a grip, guys. Back in the early 80s, pundits like you felt that 720 KB floppies were excess. That is if you are old enough to remember.

The larger drives will soon be used for other than just ACC music files-vids, photos etc. Why fight technology…just embrace it.

Posted by Pete Saybolt on August 4, 2004 at 4:36 PM (PDT)

There is no word that this will be for a new iPod. and 40GB is more than enough for many people. But many others will still be able to fill a 60, 80, 100 etc GB ipod

Posted by The Dude on August 4, 2004 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

I’m not sure, but I think Apple might make other things besides the iPod in which they could use a 60GB drive.

Posted by Mac on August 4, 2004 at 5:51 PM (PDT)

I agree, Apple must have something else up its sleeve for the 60GB. I’m thinking an iPod-iPhoto combo, with a video out for showing pictures on a tv.

Posted by Knight Rider on August 4, 2004 at 6:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >