Toshiba announces 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive | iLounge News

Toshiba announces 60GB 1.8-inch hard drive

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, August 4, 2004
News Categories: Other

“Toshiba Storage Device Division (SDD), the industry pioneer in small form factor storage, today announced a new family of 1.8-inch hard disk drives (HDDs) that deliver the industry’s highest capacities in this category with its 30GB “MK3006GAL” and 60GB “MK6006GAH.” These drives also feature improved shock tolerance, power consumption and vibration control for better performance in mobile consumer electronics devices.

To achieve this industry-leading capacity, Toshiba has set a new benchmark for areal density in the 1.8-inch HDD category at 93.5 gigabits per square inch. This has allowed Toshiba to pack 30GB of data onto a single 1.8-inch platter, an increase of 50 percent over current models, delivering drives that are ideally suited for in-demand consumer electronics products such as mobile audio players and mobile notebook PCs.”

This formal announcement confirms Toshiba’s earlier revelation in Taiwan of the new 60GB drive, for which the company said Apple had already placed orders. The new details on size (60GB is the same thickness as current 40GB iPods; 30GB is same size as current 20GB models) and power consumption (lower) suggest that future iPods based on the new drive will be in cases of the same size as today’s models, but should feature even better battery life.

« Shure E3c earphones for $122

iTunes for Linux »

Comments

perhaps a video player with screen of some sort…then again 60gb may not be enought for that

Posted by BOB on August 4, 2004 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

Besides the extra storage the only difference really is power consumption, which is quoted as being 20% more power efficient, can any1 guesstimate what sort of extra run time that would equate to?

Posted by Dexter on August 4, 2004 at 8:27 PM (PDT)

This is just the news I have been waiting for. Thanks iPodLounge!

I have been trying to be really patient and hold out on upgrading from my 40GB 3rd gen to 4th gen as to me there arent enough differences to warrant the upgrade.

However when the 4th Gen 60GB iPod comes out I will definitely be upgrading. Any idea what date it might come out? November?

Posted by iPodphreak in UK on August 5, 2004 at 1:22 AM (PDT)

The day will come when it will be considered “old school” to compress CD quality audio.  60GB will not be enough for this type of thinking.  The 60GB will become what the iPod Mini currently is, only carry your favorite songs with you, but now at full CD quality (lossless, of course).

Posted by bikepodmini on August 5, 2004 at 5:09 AM (PDT)

Maybe the 60GB chips are for the computers apple makes.

Posted by computers? on August 5, 2004 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

Apple or Jobs only said that there wont be a 60 GB iPod “anytime soon”. Of course there will be a 60 GB ipod, my guess is within a couple of months.

Posted by sparks9 on August 5, 2004 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

“Maybe the 60GB chips are for the computers apple makes.”

not a chance.

Posted by not a chance on August 5, 2004 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

Id love to see the 60GB iPod out on or before Christmas time.

Posted by iPodphreak in UK on August 5, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

The day will come when it will be considered “old school” to compress CD quality audio. 60GB will not be enough for this type of thinking. The 60GB will become what the iPod Mini currently is, only carry your favorite songs with you, but now at full CD quality (lossless, of course).

Exactly.  You nailed it.

Posted by Obadiah on August 5, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

the whole lossless argument seems moot to me at this particular point in time. Why? because the ipod’s not the best in terms of sound quality.  Have they yet released the actual s/n ratio?  Probably not… but I’ve heard my friends Zen and my other friends iRiver, and both sound much much better playing the same file using the same headphones (Sony MDR71, or whatever it was exactly).

I could care less for “lossless” fidelity.  I just want to have all my music with me at all times when I’m running around the city, sitting at work, or going to the gym.  And in all three places, the quality doesn’t mean much to me.

Posted by thaibruin on August 5, 2004 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I could definitely fill up a 60GB with tunes, even on 224AAC.  During a long flight, I’d love to have more operas and symphonies on my iPod.

Anyhow, this helps with the blow I took ordering a 3gen 40gig on 6/25, two weeks before the 4gen came out.

Frickin’ Apple wouldn’t exchange it, although Best Buy would’ve had I not gotten it at the Apple store.

Guess I’ll hold out for the 60gig now.

Posted by Piranhahaha on August 7, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

It’ll never be perfect until it uses user-replaceable batteries—as I believe I’ve stated ABOUT A HUNDRED TIMES BEFORE!

Posted by Ron G. on August 8, 2004 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

“the whole lossless argument seems moot to me at this particular point in time. Why? because the ipod’s not the best in terms of sound quality. Have they yet released the actual s/n ratio? Probably not… but I’ve heard my friends Zen and my other friends iRiver, and both sound much much better playing the same file using the same headphones (Sony MDR71, or whatever it was exactly).”

Actually, Stereophile magazine did an extensive test of the iPod a few months back and found that it was truly an audiophile-quality device, superior to many expensive CD-players out there, depending, of course, on the bit rate.

Garbage in still results in garbage out.  But if you’re encoding at a high rate, and using good buds (like the Shure E3s), I doubt you’ll find a better sounding device.

Yukon

Posted by Yukon Corneleone on August 9, 2004 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2