Toshiba-built Zune player revealed in FCC filing | iLounge News

Toshiba-built Zune player revealed in FCC filing

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, August 25, 2006
News Categories: Digital Media

image

According to an FCC filing published this week, Microsoft’s Zune digital media player will be manufactured by Toshiba. The filing revealed that the tested player included a 30GB 1.8-inch Toshiba hard drive, 3.0-inch low temperature polysilicone TFT LCD display, FM tuner with RDBS, headphone jack and USB 2.0 connectivity. The Zune tested by the FCC also featured a rechargeable Li-Ion battery, mechanical switches for all control surfaces and a Wireless LAN module. The FCC filing included several photos of the Zune and its components. See iLounge’s previous reports (1, 2, 3, 4) for further Zune details.

« iPod prompts airport bomb scare in Canada

Creative to continue selling Zen players; iPod gear will not be iPod-only »

Comments

if that screen is only 3 inches than the zune is a lot smaller than i thought.. the 5g’s screen is 2.5 inches

Posted by jm on August 25, 2006 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

wow that thing is horrible looking.

Posted by jokr on August 25, 2006 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Look at the thickness of that thing.
iPod 1G anyone?

Posted by Sam on August 25, 2006 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

It looks so huge and ugly. But. That’s just a picture. Kind of like how you need to see the nano to believe it.

Posted by adam on August 25, 2006 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Whoop-de-doo.  A rebranded Gigabeat.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 25, 2006 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Whoop-de-doo.  A rebranded Gigabeat.

MSFT could do a lot worse; the latest Gigabeat’s a pretty nice unit.

Posted by flatline response on August 25, 2006 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

Funny, how in one of the pictures the laptop shown looks like an Apple, with it’s one button below the trackpad

Posted by MatrixSJD on August 25, 2006 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

Look at the photo of the Zune next to the laptop!
Very thick and Clunky looking. I may be a 60 gig?

Posted by dave95 on August 25, 2006 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Look at the fanbois going! wow!

BTW That pic is not of the retail version…

I have owned an ipod for 3 years now, and I’m fed up with the lack of support for my “anchient” 4g photo.  It has bugs, and so many missing features.  Apple have got worse than MS, and it’s time they had a bit of a kick up the backside, if only to get Apple respecting their customers again!

Posted by Tone on August 25, 2006 at 7:46 PM (PDT)

That thing is thick, once Apple makes the new ipod, that thing won’t stand a chance.

Krn iPod

Posted by Krn iPod on August 25, 2006 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

Honestly I don’t think it looks that terrible and some of the color combo’s even look cool. My main gripe is that it has a wheel that has no “wheel” type function. But of course I would not switch because the big reason I use iPod is because of how simple iTunes is. I really think that this will be the area where MS falls behind. I find it to be a lot more difficult to organize and such with WMP.

Posted by JeremytheIndian on August 25, 2006 at 8:39 PM (PDT)

well that would be the zune’s clone. the zune does not even stand a chance against taking on the giant that is the iPod

Posted by mike H on August 25, 2006 at 8:47 PM (PDT)

I just recently sold my iPod 5G in anticipation that a new 6G will be released soon. Now I could go with a Zune if no 6G is on the horizon but I simply do not like the look of it. I’m far from an Apple or iPod fanboy…I feel there are many things that Apple needs to do to improve the iPod (built-in radio, user-adjustable EQ, built-in recording etc…). However, the iPod is still far superior to anything else out there. 75% market share says alot.

I also just bought a Sandisk Sanza e250 for my wife after hearing all the raves about it and I really can’t understand why it was raved about. The plastic wheel and center button are feel loose and very cheaply made and the screen gives off a glare that makes picture viewing difficult at times.

Anyway, back to the Zune….it IS thick but that is likely do to a longer lasting battery and a larger HD. The Creative Vision:M is just as thick and it’s my opinion that it is more along the lines of an iPod killer than the Zune. Any new iPod 6G is likely going to be thicker than the 5G as it will have to accomodate a larger HD and hopefully a longer-lasting battery.

Posted by CD on August 26, 2006 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

Wow. That is so bad that I actually thought up a “new” word to describe the soon-to-be-ill-fated Zpoon or whatever…

“Craptacular”

Posted by Kal Varnsen on August 26, 2006 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

..because the big reason I use [an] iPod is because of how simple iTunes is

I have to agree, ALTHOUGH I find that video playback is MUCH BETTER in WMP10+.

Apple needs to make the Video playback feature feel more like it’s a built-in feature of iTunes instead of a tacked-on hack.

Posted by ahMEmon on August 26, 2006 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

To me it’s looks fine and it’s have more features than ipod like fm radio, wifi and it’s may have longer battery life than 5g ipod. It will also have subscription services(which i preffer) than itunes buy only. Also it will compitable with the upcoming microsoft windows vista and new music store wowww. I will must buy this one than upcoming ipod. Because it’s looks sleek and it will full with the features. BYE IPODS AND WELCOME ZUNE.

Posted by Eskay on August 26, 2006 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

Well, we all know what the packaging is going to look like.

(Hint: Google “Microsoft iPod packaging video”)

Posted by Nobody on August 26, 2006 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

The “iPod killer” was previously killed by iPod! Now we see Zune is just a repackaged Toshiba Gigabeat with a wifi module tacked on (to make it nice and fat). They had to change the outer shell because the tire marks on these roadkill players weren’t very attractive. The “development” team was a group pulled from the XB360 project last November. Ballmer/Bach gave them all of nine months to make it happen, just ridiculous.

Can you say fiasco? I knew you could…

Posted by T. Jansky on August 26, 2006 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

“Also it will compitable with the upcoming microsoft windows vista and new music store wowww.”

I don’t think Windows Vista compatibility is a big deal… iTunes runs fine on the Vista beta, and unless Vista drops USB 2.0 support, iPods will work with it.

“I will must buy this one than upcoming ipod. Because it’s looks sleek and it will full with the features.”

How can you say Zune will have more features than the next iPod? We won’t know what the new iPod has until the day it’s announced.

Posted by Eric on August 27, 2006 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Attack of the Fanboys huh? Most of you forget that less then a year ago Apples players were thick mo’fos as well, my old 4g 60gb weighs more then my phone, and that’s saying something.

If a Zune can playback video on my 360 then im sold, if not then il wait for the “6g”

Posted by Shadow on August 28, 2006 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >