Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for 4G iPods | iLounge News

Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for 4G iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, September 9, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picPod Shield is made of a thin material that clings to the iPod using high static. The front film covers the iPods’ screen. The back film is designed to fully cover the stainless steel back and sides of the unit while still enabling users to place their iPod into a docking station. When the shields need replacing, there is no sticky glue or residue to remove—they simply peel off. Pod Shields retail for $12.99. One package contains 6 pieces, enough shields for the front and back of three iPods. Pod Shields also fit all 3rd generation iPods.

« iPod+hp arrives in stores - early

“Gapless Playback for Apple iPod” online petition »

Comments

Wow.  I’m gonna try and see if I can get one of those!

Posted by Shahid in New York on September 9, 2004 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

I got one… it is useful, before having it my 3g got scratched pretty badly on the back, and i got a annoying unremovable sctrach on the screen, so i just had to get something to prevent further damage. It works well, although it takes a bit of time to get used to since the “feel” isnt the same, also, the reflection on the back is kind of blurred out due to this plastic :( .

Posted by Hitesh Sawlani on September 9, 2004 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

I have one on my 3G, but make sure no water/moisture is caught between the ipod and the plastic.  i may not have scratches, but now i have several small rust spots.  :-(

Posted by Sean on September 9, 2004 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

$12.99 for some custom-cut plastic wrap may seem like a lot, but I bought a set of 3 in April and I’m still on the first one.  So you definitely get your money’s worth.  It provides protection from scratching without adding bulk.

Posted by Jeremy on September 9, 2004 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I ordered some the other day but as I am in the UK will prob take a while to deliver

Posted by steve ODonnell on September 9, 2004 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

I bought these and they are great.  You can barely tell they are on there.  I have experience with trendygeeks customer service also, and they fixed my problem right away.

Posted by Justin on September 9, 2004 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

Couldn’t you do the same thing with Saran wrap? For $12.99, one could get a lifetime’s supply worth to cover the iPod with Saran wrap

Posted by Dude on September 9, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

@Steve

I’m from Holland, and it was like 5 or 6 days before I got mine. I purchased these and iCleaner Pro… I got most of the scratches removed and then put a pod shield on. Perfect combo!

Posted by Lesley on September 9, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

So no covering of the front at all except the screen? Doesn’t sound too great.

Posted by Rich on September 9, 2004 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

Putting these pod shields on the IPOD is difficult.  It’s similar to putting tint film in your car window.  More than likely will you see bubbles in your application of these pod shields.  Also, the very top of the Ipod is still exposed as well as the bottom corners.

I’m hoping I don’t get those rust stains someone mentioned above.

Posted by Dennis on September 9, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Is there something similar to this available for the clickwheel?  I’m looking for a clear adhesive or non-adhesive plastic to protect the wheel.

Posted by Ed on September 9, 2004 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

Guys, just buy a pack of screen protectors and apply them to your iPod. You can cut out holes for the earphones, dock, and hold button. That’s what I did and my entire iPod is protected, unlike this product which leaves a large part of the face unprotected.

Posted by br- on September 9, 2004 at 11:53 AM (PDT)

This is REALLY REALLY old news.

I ordered mine 5 weeks ago.

Posted by ba on September 9, 2004 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

No shock protection. I think iSkin is a better solution.

Posted by uhhuh on September 9, 2004 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

Aside from wrapping around the sides, is there any difference with these vs. the iCondoms?

Posted by Ape on September 10, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

If you want shock protection then obviously you wont buy this product. If you’re so worried about damage and want the entire iPod covered then you won’t buy this product. If you don’t cherish your iPod like a new born baby but want to keep it fairly scratch free then these are perfect - easy to apply and the bubbles disappear after a few minutes of being in your pocket. Cheap, good quality and simple.

And Steve - I’m in the UK too and mine took the stated time (6-10 days I think)

Posted by Fowler in Eastbourne, UK on September 10, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

i have owned podshield and iskin evo for my 3rd gen ipod. they both sucked. podshield causes bubbles on the screen, making it hard to see through especially for me who has bad eyesight. iskin evo is just keeping loss and it is around my ipod like a large sweater on a small kid. It is totally waste of money. if there is something wrong, i prefer to send my ipod to apple to fix it.

Posted by lol on September 10, 2004 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

I like it. I will probably use it with the apple case I already have. The problem with the iskin cases is they cover up the design of the ipod, I like to be able to see the design. This very nice and non-intrusive.

Posted by afields on September 11, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I got mine today. Got it fitted pretty well but still left with a few air bubbles on the screen.

Posted by steve ODonnell on September 11, 2004 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Something interesting…

When I went to purchase this item I noticed that their credit card website page isn’t secure.

I am wary of companies that do online transactions and don’t offer secure transactions.  Is this just a couple guys in a garage shipping these out?

Posted by Roy Bost on September 16, 2004 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >