Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for iPods | iLounge News

Trendy Geek releases Pod Shield for iPods

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, April 13, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picToday, Trendy Geek announced the release of the Pod Shield static cling wrap for iPods. “Pod Shield consists of two ultra thin plastic films that adheres to your Apple iPod via high static. The front film is cut perfectly to cover the iPods Screen. The back film is die-cut and provides scratch protection to the stainless steel backing of the Apple iPod. Both films are 100% transparent so you can barely see them when applied. Both films adhere strongly to the Apple iPod via high static. This means you can remove them without leaving any sticky residue behind.” The 6 peice kit comes with 3 backs and 3 fronts and costs $6.99.

« Reminder: Win $900 earphones

Shure E3 earphones for $145 »

Comments

Are these the same ones sold on ebay that create bubbles under the film?  If they are then there is no possible way for them to be called 100% transparent.  Its good scratch protection but isn’t great to look at.

Posted by Stephen on April 13, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

Yea, these are the same as the ones on eBay. They are quite nice though being that I have one. They protect the back and sides of the iPod (The pic isn’t updated, the back layer has sides to it that fold over). I actually chose this thing instead of the normal rubbery cases because it is easy to get in and out of my pocket. It does, however, let bubbles in relatively easily. But I think the trade off is worth it. The iPod looks pretty much like it has nothing on it and it protects from minor scratches and dings.

Posted by superbalde in San Diego, CA on April 13, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

It doesn’t look like it leaves the dock ports open…is that true?

Posted by Scott M on April 13, 2004 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

At $10 shipped, it’s hard to complain.

I ordered one today.  Way less expensive than my 3g iVod Vaja case, but it’s also going to make my iPod40 look like it’s on a diet, and that’s what I want.

Posted by matthew on April 13, 2004 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

so, are not worried about the “white parts”?

Posted by Daddo on April 13, 2004 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

Not really, the scratches don’t show nearly as much as the back.  And since the front has a clear lucite layer it’s a little harder to make scratches

Posted by IpodforLife on April 13, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Does it cover the buttons and the wheel like the exo3? I wonder imy recently purchased exo3s can be replaced by this (I wonder if it has full frontal protection….

I wonder when will macskinz start the different designs for the iPod skins…. that ought to be the best thing for changing everyone’s iPods’ style

Posted by Mahler_Seele on April 13, 2004 at 5:11 PM (PDT)

I bought these for my iPod a while back. I only use it to cover the lcd screen as thats the most important part. Don’t bother covering the rest and the back, its really difficult to get out all the bubbles, whereas on the screen its really clear. It does leave the holes open for all the connections and buttons and scroll wheel are exposed.

Posted by tariq on April 13, 2004 at 6:31 PM (PDT)

so i will need to cut this up to use on an ipod mini?

Posted by ranova on April 13, 2004 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

Just use plastic wraps..
it works fine as the others and it also protects screen too
ill put some photos in when i fix my scanner

Posted by Don on April 13, 2004 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

So we’ve come “full circle”?
all I need is a clear cover for the screen and my iPod can go in my pocket?

Posted by Daddo on April 14, 2004 at 2:54 AM (PDT)

Mahler_Seele writes:

No, it only covers the display screen on the front, and another piece covers the back.

Posted by AndyH on April 14, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

Let me try again…

Does it leave the dock connector open? And is it thin enough to put the iPod in the dock?

Posted by Scott M on April 14, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

Can you put the cover for the back on the front as well? (So it’ll cover the wheel and buttons). That would be good, cuz i’d like to have the scroll wheel and buttons protected as well, since that’s the part that’s touched the most

Posted by iPodder on April 14, 2004 at 6:52 PM (PDT)

I’ve found that over time, most of the bubbles work themselves out (just by handling the ‘pod), and aren’t really visible at all.

Posted by KM on April 15, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

It’s so strange to look at all those overpriced cases (probably made in horrible conditions by sweatshop slaves), and even these shields are overpriced. I cover my iPod with a piece of adhesive plastic (costs a dollar something for a long roll), the kind used to cover books. I cut out a piece 4 x 8 inches and wrap it around the iPod. Just change it once a month. Leaves no trace, covers screen, front, back, buttons and scrollwheel, leaves connectors open. Easily slides in and out of the pocket or the Apple case. Super.

Posted by woofer on April 16, 2004 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

I have been using clear static film to cover my iPod since the original 5gig.

I used the static film made for PDA screens and just cut them into the shape of the iPod

The secret for not getting any bubbles is to use the edge of a credit card when applying the film at an angle. use medium pressesure and the film will go on without bubbles.

For the guy worried about the dock being covered im sure that if it is you can just cut it out with an exacto knife.

Posted by Ariza on April 17, 2004 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

The iPod is able to dock, there’s a gap to coeecnt the cable. should it be removed when you’re docking?

Posted by Wei Zhu on April 18, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)