Tunewear announces Tunemax battery pack case | iLounge News

Tunewear announces Tunemax battery pack case

”[TUNEMAX] is a product which looks and weighs about the same as a protective case for the iPod, yet it is actually a powerful 16 hours* of additional power for your iPod. The beauty of [TUNEMAX] is the design. The case actually IS the battery. Simple yet elegant, the case sandwiches the iPod inside the side covers which are filled with 850mAh Lithium Ion cells. Each cover holds 425mAh worth of power. A lightweight and sturdy hooking belt clip designed onto the case allows you to ‘clip’ it to your waist belt, bag or anywhere you like. It is wide enough be used as a belt loop, and unlike conventional clips, opens at a wide angle for easy clipping onto thick surfaces.”

« HP: New iPod-ready printer, HPTunes expand Apple’s products

Griffin announces EarJams earbud adapters »

Comments

I love Tunewear’s ideas and implementation, but what I’d really like to see is a full size iPod version of the Icewear.  Damn those is pretty.

Posted by Alden on August 27, 2004 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

The idea of a longer battery life span is great, but that thing is ugly. I wouldn’t buy it.

Posted by ari on August 27, 2004 at 10:18 AM (PDT)

they need it to be SLIMMER and flat in my opinion

Posted by me on August 27, 2004 at 10:24 AM (PDT)

I hate the case. It is just the Apple case with a Kangaroo pouch. There is no protection in that thing and the belt clip is flimsy. If I were to buy one it would have to have a much better and more substantial case. I throw the Apple case out the minute I open the box - almost lost an iPod to that piece of junk.

Like the battery idea and the lights indicating remaining time.

Doug

Posted by doug Eddy on August 27, 2004 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Is there a way to control the device or look at the lcd screen without disconnecting the battery???

Posted by Bigizz on August 27, 2004 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

That thing is so ugly. It’s not refined at all. The Belkin one at least looks nice.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on August 27, 2004 at 11:09 AM (PDT)

Any ideas on pricing? Their online store hasn’t been updated yet.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on August 27, 2004 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

Posted by unknownsoldier on August 27, 2004 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

Yay, it’s nothing like the description!
Agreed, the Belkin one does look better.
mmm…latex.

Posted by iSpider on August 27, 2004 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

I don’t like the design, but the idea is fantastic.  Hopefully they will revise the case design.

Personally, I would have bought it already if the batter part was detachable and connected to a standard belt-clip nub.  I have three million accessories for the house and car for every gadget imaginable that are standardized on that connector.  It would make this a very useful product.

Posted by stark23x on August 27, 2004 at 8:54 PM (PDT)

Dear Readers
I really appriciate this site where people voice their opinions of products straightforward.  My name is hfo and I am the designer for TUNEWEAR. TUNEMMAX was not designed by us, although we would have liked to. We decided to bring this innovative product to market desipite it’s design. We are working on future designs and hope to have a more slim, elegant solution to this product look and feel. I have also decided to add such notice to the web page as well, since we did design ICEWEAR and PRIE and did not design the 1st battery case. (TUNEMAX is a Trademark name for series of battery products to come)

ICEWEAR for 4G should be annouced at Paris Apple-Expo (8/30-9/4) and shipping in September. This is OUR design.  I thank iPodLounge for allowing me to explain the truth to the readers.

Posted by hfo on August 27, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

“By Aceon6 on Aug 27, 04 4:06 pm wote
the battery IS NOT the case. thats crap. the batery is glued onto a stupid looking apple case. what a silly idea. having a thin battery around a latex case, now that would be a good idea.”

Yes, the Batter IS the CASE, the white part is the electronics and I/O box, not battery there, the batter is in the black leather part, molded into this shape in 2 and circuit film used to connect the 2 separate parts, see here :

and you can see the inside of one side of the case. I hope this helps clarify things.

Posted by hfo on August 27, 2004 at 10:01 PM (PDT)

hfo, thank you for the clarification.  I think your product is very clever and definitely would interest many iPod users.  However, a more slim, elegant solution, as you put it, would be much more appealing to most customers.  The electronics and I/O box is rather large, and takes away from the fact that the battery is embedded in the case.  I look forward to seeing the new design, and hope there will be a new 3G version as well.

Posted by Axe Sharpener on August 28, 2004 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

wow, this company is pretty honest,

“*Notice : Although TUNWEAR would have liked to design this product, [Universal iPod Case with Embedded Battery] was designed by our factory, and we bring you this version of the product as it is. Seeming to look bulk and not the best of design, it is nevertheless is a very innovative product where the case leather part is the battery, thus allowing very small volume for a 16hour life extension product. There will be variations of TUNEMAX to follow in the near future. Also please note that the battery is in the black leather part, containing a molded Li battery, a true one of a kind innovation. The white plastic part is the controller.”

Posted by spirit on August 28, 2004 at 5:59 AM (PDT)

hfo… correction. You quoted my sig line then posted unknownsoldier’s comment. My comment was about pricing.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on August 28, 2004 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Aceon6 : I appologize, read the lines wrong, also I seemed to have lost my ‘y’s on words battery and made some other messy spelling errors. Pricing to be around 70 USD area.

Posted by hfo on August 28, 2004 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Correction, I just checked, price was wrong, more like 90 usd retail.

Posted by hfo on August 28, 2004 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

Nobody should buy this until it is redesigned - IT IS SOO UGLY!!

I feel like being sick when i look at this, there is no excuse in this day & age for this cr*p.

Posted by designconscious on August 29, 2004 at 2:02 AM (PDT)

I don’t think it is SOO UGLY!!  It is less than ideal, but any battery pack is going to be somewhat bulky and will detract rather than enhance the aesthetic appeal of the iPod.  I think that this is not a bad try and is compatible with all iPods.  I do think they need to design a way of getting to the controls without disconnecting it.  I think there are several people who will enjoy using this, but further modifications will but better received.

Posted by Bill Clinton on August 29, 2004 at 5:30 AM (PDT)

seriously that thing in front is hideous.  and how will we change the thing’s batteries once those die?  i’ll wait until you refine the product more.  i know the case is the battery, but damn that thing in front is OOGLAH.  fugly,  ugly ugly.  icewear looks nice.

Posted by AlphaUltima on September 2, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >