U.K. retailer claims iPod touch 4G will have FaceTime, more | iLounge News

U.K. retailer claims iPod touch 4G will have FaceTime, more

U.K.-based retailer John Lewis has leaked supposed details of the fourth-generation iPod touch at a recent event in London. Electricpig reports that a slide from the retailer’s Xmas in July event claimed that the fourth-generation iPod touch will arrive in September, and will sport a five megapixel camera with flash, similar to the one found in the iPhone 4 and including HD video recording capabilities, an accelerometer and gyroscope, and FaceTime capabilities, suggesting that the device will also have a front-facing camera. Apple traditionally announces its new iPod models in September, and Apple CEO Steve Jobs said at the unveiling of the iPhone 4 that the company would sell “tens of millions” of FaceTime devices this year, hinting that the feature would appear in other devices as well.

« BMW Group announces iPod Out support for iOS 4

Boomwave unveils new cases for iPad »

Comments

I know these kinds of articles make headlines, but I’m tired of speculation and rumor articles about my iDevices.  Half of the iPad’s bad press is from people who have never used one, the other half is from tech-writers who hyped up rumored featured and were disappointed by the product’s reality.

Posted by DP on July 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

I have to put my hands up and say when I saw the iPad Keynotes and thought “it’s just a big iPod touch?!?” but having held and used one in an Apple store, i totaly get it and if i wasn’t a poor student I would be writing this comment from one.

Posted by Andrew on July 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

I wonder how FaceTime is going to work on the iPod touch when it won’t have a phone number.  Steve Jobs was touting that you didn’t need to create an account or anything.  Just call and hit a button.

Posted by Ozzy V on July 8, 2010 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

Since FaceTime calls don’t actually occur over the cellular network, the phone number is really just a registration ID for Apple’s FaceTime servers. Apple could easily just use a different ID such as an e-mail address for iPod touch users and FaceTime calls could likely be initiated from the Contacts app on the iPod touch in much the same way as they are on the iPhone.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on July 8, 2010 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I’m really hoping the rumor about the 5 megapixel camera is true. Now I won’t have to buy both an iPod touch and a digital camera. I also wonder how these new features will work when the iPod touch is already very thin. Are we gonna see a thicker touch or one that follows the iPhone 4 form factor or both? Finally, I wonder if there will be a better battery since these features might be added

Posted by Oscar M. on July 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM (PDT)

Very excited for this.  My iPod touch has been my only way of experiencing iOS since there’s no way I’m joining up with the AT&T crowd just to pay more money for inadequate service.  I bet Apple’s just going to make it look like the iPhone 4, although that could be a bad thing based on the phone’s durability track record so far.

Posted by Luke on July 11, 2010 at 2:38 AM (PDT)

This will be be amazing for ipod users if it ever happens. Music, apps, games, ebooks, social networking a 5MP Camara front and back facing camera with 720pHD and face time and don’t forget imovie and the opportunity to upload to youtube. “Apple this is what we want.” You can mak it happen!

Posted by James.A on July 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM (PDT)

if these rumors are actually true…wth? the iphone 4 has all that so why put it on ipod touch 4g?

Posted by isityeaahh on July 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM (PDT)

They would put in on an ipod touch 4g to boost sales….for those who can’t or don’t want to get an iphone 4 to use with AT&T

Posted by sf49lu on July 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

I wonder if this is true?

Posted by Das mama on July 18, 2010 at 7:43 PM (PDT)

All of the features sound awesome! I think i might get this for Christmas! But, I have a question: How can the new iPod touch have FaceTime Call if it doesn’t have a microphone? In the box will there be a microphone/headphones? or will they build one in?

Also, I have an answer for comment #8:
They put the features in the ipod touch when the iphone already has it because some people do not want a cell phone or they alredy have one and don’t want to switch lines. And, have you heard about the news lately and how bad the new iphone 4 is!?! There are so many problems with it. who would want to buy it now? Thats why.

Even though those problems have happened with the iphone 4 i still support Apple! smile

Posted by Maddie on July 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM (PDT)

Would it be free? Or a paid service. I can image next generation iPads with facetime too. Apple can do it and probably should do it. It is the way technology should go.

Posted by jessy on July 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM (PDT)