U2 digital box set now available | iLounge News

U2 digital box set now available

pic Apple’s iTunes Music Store today began selling the U2 digital box set, The Complete U2, as well as the band’s new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. The 446-song package includes all of the band’s albums, 40 previously unreleased tracks, and more than 100 rare live cuts, remixes, covers, demos, and B-sides. The Complete U2 also comes with a digital booklet (PDF) that has album artwork, track listings, and band commentary. Unsurprisingly, several of the rare tracks are not available for individual purchase and can only be had with the purchase of the $149.99 box set.

« Dension intros ice>Link Plus car kit for iPod

Analyst expects 4 million iPods to be sold this quarter »

Comments

If you’re a U2 iPod owner and want the box set - don’t forget to use the $50 off coupon that came with the iPod!

Posted by cjhseattle in Seattle on November 23, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CST)

This actually isn’t all that expensive considering you get 100 live tracks and 40 previously unreleased tracks.  That, going by the 99 cents per song pricing, is nearly $140 by itself.  So, even if you’re a big U2 fan and already have all of their CDs, this might still be a good thing to get.

Posted by GadgetGuru72 on November 23, 2004 at 9:51 AM (CST)

Apparently a lot of people agree with you GadgetGuru - The Complete U2 is already #4 on iTunes which is saying something.

Of course, HTDAAB is already #1. In fact, it zoomed to #2 only a couple hours after it went live on iTunes this morning (about 12:30am PST).

Proves the passion U2 brings.
I’d be interested to find out from Apple/Interscope how many of the people buying The Complete U2 also bought U2 iPod w/$50 off coupon as incentive.

Posted by cjhseattle in Seattle on November 23, 2004 at 10:11 AM (CST)

It would be nice if they offered a smaller package of non-album related stuff. It would be nice.

Posted by zpick on November 23, 2004 at 10:49 AM (CST)

Does anyone know what the download time is for the Complete U2?  Is it hours, days, weeks years?  I am fairly new at my iPod and am still working on trying to figure out what is the best way to download the songs most economically.

Posted by redsox4ever on November 23, 2004 at 10:57 AM (CST)

Good question! I’d really love to know how long it takes to download this entire collection. Anyone done it yet?

Posted by JimmyJ on November 23, 2004 at 11:19 AM (CST)

It Would take about 3 hr on a 2mbps dsl connection, if it authorizes each song as it downloads.
It would take about 2 hours to download if it authorises them all at the end of the download.
That is a guesstimate i made by downloading the free single of the week and cloking the time. it was 3min and 49 sec long.

i glanced at the songs in the complete u2 and most of them AVERAGE OUT to 4 min and 30 sec.

THIS IS A GUESS OKAY.
DONT GET MAD IF IM WRONG BECAUSE I DONT PLAN ON DOWNLOADING IT.

Posted by Dbster in Georgia on November 23, 2004 at 11:33 AM (CST)

Since I already own ALL singles and albums, and even have those two live shows, I’m having a hard time justifying $100 (have the coupon) for the 15-20 rare/unreleased tracks….

What’s a U2 fan to do?

/sees $100 purchase in near future…

Posted by m. sherman in Northern VA on November 23, 2004 at 12:49 PM (CST)

Don’t look now, but the set us up to #3.

Posted by Quoth_the_Raven in Herndon, VA on November 23, 2004 at 12:57 PM (CST)

Wow, I wonder what Apple’s margin is on this, vs. other iTunes sales?

It IS a lot of music for the price. As a box set should be!

The liner notes are a good trend—let’s continue that for regular albums please :)

Posted by Nagromme on November 23, 2004 at 1:13 PM (CST)

Ummm…

446 songs at 4 minutes a song comes to nearly 1800 minutes.

Dividing by 60 minutes per hour, I am coming up with 30 hours—NOT the mere 3 hours that Jimmy J suggests.

Seems like an awful lot of downloading to me, but then again I’m not a U2 fan.

Posted by mpet on November 23, 2004 at 1:21 PM (CST)

Kinda misleading to see this album heading to the top of the charts since most people don’t buy entire albums at iTMS.  If this set stays at the top of the charts for a long time, then it means no one is buying albums from iTMS.

Very impressive collection for $150.  I’m not a big enough fan to make the buy, but they are giving people their money’s worth.

Wait until the Dr. Dre, or the Eminem box sets come out…sales will really be something then.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 23, 2004 at 1:26 PM (CST)

“By Quoth_the_Raven on Nov 23, 04 11:57 am

The liner notes are a good trend—let’s continue that for regular albums please”

HTDAAB includes the CD booklet/liner notes as well. Is this the first implementation on the ITMS of this?  Very slick.

Cheers,
hughdogg

Posted by hughdogg on November 23, 2004 at 1:40 PM (CST)

mpet:  Just because a song is 4 minutes in length DOES NOT mean that it will take 4 minutes to download that song.

Posted by AndyH in Berwyn, PA on November 23, 2004 at 2:39 PM (CST)

It does not take 4 minutes to download a song on a high speed connnection. I would say it takes anywhere from 15 - 30 seconds in my experience

Posted by wmba on November 23, 2004 at 3:53 PM (CST)

Man.. this collection is UNBELIEVABLE.  Every album.. every single.. every remix.. every live track!!! It even has the Propaganda fan club only Melon remix cd!!

It’s pretty darn incredible.  Especially for $0.33 a track!

Posted by camson in Melbourne, Australia on November 23, 2004 at 4:08 PM (CST)

Even though I own 85% of the songs listed in The Complete U2 (including some of the unreleased/rare tracks) - there was still that 15% that I felt was worth plunking down $100.

Especially given the fact I’ve already spent $$$ on the U2 iPod - which I LOVE!

The debate over whether it’s worth it or not is really subjective. I look at it this way - if U2/Apple are able to push the envelope in delivering music in an innovative way that still gives music lovers what they can get in a hard copy (i.e. - liner notes, extras, etc.) I’m all for it.

Think about it… $150 for more than 450 songs? No matter how you slice it - that’s an incredible deal.

That said, the entire download took me about 3 hours… give or take a few minutes. This was done through a wireless broadband network. My broadband source is cable - so it’s very fast.

Posted by cjhseattle in Seattle on November 23, 2004 at 4:18 PM (CST)

I didn’t suggest the 3 hour download time, actually.

But, that said, it seems like most people who have downloaded it have clocked in at between 2-3 hours on a highspeed connection. Not bad.

Posted by JimmyJ on November 23, 2004 at 4:35 PM (CST)

it took me 2 1/2 hours to download   i think its a great set

Posted by coopdiggity on November 23, 2004 at 4:55 PM (CST)

I see this set is already available for pirate downloads on Soulseek. I am impressed at the dedication of certain individuals, either by direct transcoding, by cracking the FairPlay wrapper with Hymn, or by burning a whole heap of CDs then re-encoding them. They must have some seriously fast PCs as well. Or maybe they coordinated a group conversion? Anyway, I predict widespread BitTorrent distribution by this evening.

Posted by Demosthenes on November 24, 2004 at 9:54 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >