UBS: Infineon chip to power 3G iPhone, coming mid-year | iLounge News

UBS: Infineon chip to power 3G iPhone, coming mid-year

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, February 28, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

In a resent research note, UBS analysts told clients that German chipmaker Infineon Technologies AG will likely provide new chips for Apple’s upcoming 3G iPhone. The group said that this isn’t yet the consensus view, and it also believes 3G-enabled iPhones will be released by mid-year. It added that the current EDGE iPhone platform is being ramped down earlier than expected to “clean” inventories. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson has previously said that a 3G-capable iPhone model will be released this year.

« Apple joins world’s top 10 cellular manufacturers in Q4 2007

O2 and Apple to launch iPhone in Ireland on March 14 [updated] »

Comments

One shortcoming down, about 98 to go.

Posted by The Doctor on February 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Well, with hopes there will be added support for Microsoft Exchange with the SDK soon, that’s another shortcoming down.

But, as long as iPhone’s aren’t available for Verizon’s network, I know at least 50-100 people that want one, but won’t switch carriers.  THAT is a serious bummer.

Posted by Peterphan on February 28, 2008 at 8:45 AM (PDT)

Consider me living under a rock to ask this question but,............ What is the difference and benefits of 3G vs. Edge being discussed. I am considering an IPhone, but if it makes sense to wait for a #G version I would.

Posted by Don on February 28, 2008 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

3G will allow you to surf the internet much faster.

It’s a pretty big deal, and is probably worth waiting for. In my opinion anyway.

Posted by ort on February 28, 2008 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

3G does make it faster for surfing the web…but…it also drains your battery. I hope they improve the battery for the iPhone. I actually hope they make the new 3G iPhone’s battery removable.

Posted by Mattie Gee on February 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Posted by Dyvim on February 28, 2008 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

If Apple is releasing a 3G iPhone, it better have a mind-blowing battery life, or make it removable.

Posted by Zaci on February 28, 2008 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

What is the difference and benefits of 3G vs. Edge being discussed

EDGE is butt slow, a lot like REALLY SLOW dial-up (way less than 56k). 3G is like really slow DSL, but it’s still significantly faster than EDGE.

As much as I like my CrackBerry, my T-Mobile contract is expiring and they still haven’t rolled out any of that NA 3G network that they promised last year. I’m still not sold on the iPhone’s screen-based keyboard, but if the 3G version has an accessible battery compartment it’ll be enough that I’ll suck it up and rejoin ATT (I can’t believe I just typed that).

BTW…nice site redesign…haven’t been back in a LONG while (iPods for me have been a bit boring this year), but the new homepage looks good.

Posted by flatline response on March 2, 2008 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

“If you’re an American, 3G might not yet be in your area- AT&T is still rolling out coverage.  If you’re in the boonies it mostly likely is not.  Having it in your phone does you no good if you don’t have the coverage.”

Won’t the AT&T 3G phones be backward compatible to the EDGE network where 3G service isn’t available?

Posted by john.b on March 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM (PDT)