UK gets ready for iPod mini | iLounge News

UK gets ready for iPod mini

“Apple UK’s iPod advertising enters its second stage now, with posters and window displays appearing in London and Manchester in the calm before iPod mini is released here next month. [...]

To maintain iPod sales here meanwhile, Apple UK’s iPod advertising “adorns the windows of no fewer than 27 Apple resellers across the UK and Ireland”. There are shop window displays at Virgin Megastore in Manchester and Peter Jones in Sloane Square.”

« Buy a U.S. iPod mini and get it shipped international

iPod sales to reach $1 billion this year »

Comments

After all the disscusion about the price in america, i think you should all spare a thought for ipod mini buyers in the uk.

Posted by Alan Walker on March 2, 2004 at 9:44 AM (CST)

i still can’t believe that they are going to charge

Posted by ermmm_no on March 2, 2004 at 10:59 AM (CST)

And then the UK wonders why people keep buying stuff overseas and sneaking it in without paying customs on them. They’re shooting themselves in the foot, and they’ll never receive tax on loads and loads of items this way. Why should we have to pay more? There’s no good reason why we should have to pay 50% extra for the exact same product.

Posted by doctorjuggles on March 2, 2004 at 11:54 AM (CST)

doctorjuggles, I couldn’t agree more. Which MP was featured on this site recently jumping on the battery issue argument? I can’t remember, but maybe her time would be better spent on an issue such has this which will have a far bigger impact on the British economy.

Posted by bobsyerunkle on March 2, 2004 at 12:32 PM (CST)

we shouldn’t have such a strong currency. or the americans shouldn;t have such a weak one. I think apple are just exploiting that fact and still overcharging cos they can.

Posted by James on March 2, 2004 at 2:59 PM (CST)

It is worth remembering that the price of US$ 249 excludes any sales tax, so if you would go to the US and buy an iPod mini you would pay more than US$ 249 as you would have to pay local sales tax. Also, import duty is virtually non-existent on compuer equipment entering the EU. The amout you would have to pay to Customs & Excise when buying an iPod mini from the US is VAT at 17.5% for the UK, not import duty. Still, Apple charges us around

Posted by Marc on March 2, 2004 at 4:45 PM (CST)

hey…helloooo? how about Canada?

Posted by Ed on March 2, 2004 at 7:13 PM (CST)

eh, I called apple about the availability of the mini in .ca.

No idea on price, but I bet it will be the same as the US.. or about $CA 339 + taxes..

Posted by kanuk on March 2, 2004 at 10:26 PM (CST)

plus i doubt that all the added taxes in the US come to another 50% of the actual price so it is still a better price there.

Posted by ermmm_no on March 3, 2004 at 7:58 AM (CST)

lucky for me my dad went to california last week and bought a mini for me and another for my wife. both silver because everyone had sold out of the rest… sales tax is 8.5% in cali, and I got a good exchange rate off my dad, so the total cost in sterling was

Posted by youngwino on March 5, 2004 at 9:35 AM (CST)

I am going to the Miami in June for a holiday. Will I be able to just buy an ipod mini over there and will it work back home in the UK? Is the software different as I got told I couldnt buy 1 over there. If not is there any places in the UK where I can buy an imported 1?

Posted by T on April 30, 2004 at 4:46 AM (CDT)

If i do import 1 from us on macconecction will i still get a garentee or and warentee because i dont want to travel to america if it breaks down!

Posted by jamie on May 2, 2004 at 10:43 AM (CDT)