Ultimate Ears debuts UE-11 Pro earphones (updated) | iLounge News

Ultimate Ears debuts UE-11 Pro earphones (updated)

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2007
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

Ultimate Ears has introduced its UE-11 Pro earphones, a new flagship model replacing the UE-10 Pro and featuring a quad armature speaker configuration. The UE-11 Pro features a custom shell with the quad speaker configuration inside, a dual driver subwoofer for more clear low-end performance, a dedicated midrange and separate tweeter, and an electrically and acoustically tuned three-way crossover. Specifications include a frequency response of 10Hz to 16,500 Hz, -26dB of noise isolation, and input sensitivity of 119dB at 1mW.

The Ultimate Ears UE-11 Pro earphones will be available in a variety of colors with individual artwork and will be priced at $1150 when they go on sale August 1. iLounge’s initial impressions can be found here.

Updated: Ultimate Ears notes that it will offer the user’s choice of custom colors and artwork for the UE-11 Pro—typically costing up to $200 above the price of its standard custom earphones—at no additional charge for the first 60 days of the product’s launch, ending September 30, 2007. Customers should expect a three-week lead time for color- and art-customized UE-11 Pros, versus two weeks for standard ones.

« Waterfield Designs announces three iPhone cases

iPhone Software 1.0.1 fixes Safari bugs, security »

Comments

My credit card hasn’t arrived yet :( As soon as it has, I know what I’m buying.

Posted by stadidas on August 1, 2007 at 12:44 AM (PDT)

My first car cost about that much.
Thanks but my ear buds work great.
I will pass on these.

Posted by mango on August 1, 2007 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

I’ve bought a car for less than these.  Then again, that car was a p.o.s. and my most recent car purchase was > 20x as much.

Still I find it hard to believe that you need dual driver subwoofers in your ear buds unless you really want to go deaf quickly.

Posted by dodo on August 1, 2007 at 7:24 AM (PDT)

Hey, to each his own. I’m sure they sound unbelievable and I have quite an affinity for the high-priced gadget…

BUT I also know that I am hard enough on cheaper earbuds, sunglasses, watches, and other small items that I would feel absolutely sick if I somehow damaged these through normal use. I have two pairs of Shures, one for my iPod and one for my iPhone, and those are more than sufficient for me, and if I happen to lose those, I won’t lose my sanity along with ‘em.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 1, 2007 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

stadidas….i love it.  “remember, these aren’t for you.”

smile

Flippy, do you find an increased propensity to keep track of things related to their price?  I do, not sure if that’s just me though…seems like it would be universal.

As in…I’ve lost cheap sunglasses within a week…i’ve still got my $150 Maui Jim’s after ?7? years.

Posted by OnlyShawn on August 1, 2007 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

HOW MUCH???? That is simple ridiculous. I love good sound, but that is TOO much.

Posted by JaRa76 on August 1, 2007 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

Hmmm… Totally wasted on most of humanity.
You will be able to tell immediately those who have bought this by the way the way they are constantly switching ear buds to compare the sound with other devices to justify to themselves that they have made a good investment.

(Red rag to a bull there!)

Posted by Boca on August 1, 2007 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

“Most of us cannot even really care for the difference between regular and lossless encoding.”
- These aren’t for those people

“I guess these buds will appeal to those souless people who enjoy breaking sound down into a bunch of frequencies rather really caring for the the music.”
- So wanting to be able to actually hear all of it means you don’t love it? Logical.

“Red rag to a bull there!”
- Joyfully playful, I commend you good sir.

I’ve always found it a bit odd that people can’t wait to rip into expensive headphones and say they’re a waste of money. Would those same people criticise someone for going to a nice restaurant when McDonalds is so much cheaper?

Posted by stadidas on August 1, 2007 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

honestly, these aren’t really for anyone with an iPod as the sound quality is far better than an iPod will deliver. i have UE super fi 3s and they are great.

Posted by hydra-calm on August 1, 2007 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

“if you are only planning on using these (UE 11s) for your iPod that is total overkill!”
- Couldn’t agree more. Even the noisy headphone output from my iMac sounds better (mainly as the iMac doesn’t drop so many samples). Plug these babies into a headphone amp with it’s own DAC and you’ll be in heaven.

Posted by stadidas on August 1, 2007 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

As stadidas said, if you think these are too expensive, these headphones are not for you. These were made for musicians/audiophiles, not the average person who thinks iBuds are the best. Unlike most people, musicians can’t just plug in with some cheapo earphone, they need to be able to hear all the details of the music while performing.

Posted by Nobody on August 1, 2007 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Really, so why is it that musicians buy custom earphones from Ultimate Ears? I guess it’s because they don’t care for the music. /sarcasm

The whole reason why you would buy these earphones is because you care for the music.

Posted by Nobody on August 1, 2007 at 1:22 PM (PDT)

Like I said Red Rag…

Firstly let’s be clear, I enjoy a quality product… my ear buds are Shure E4c, very nice and arguably overkill for an iPod.

Now am I going to get >3 times the sound reproduction with these new ones?  Of course not.

Am I going to even really notice any difference?  Perhaps yes.

Will I miss the difference if I had to go back to my Shure E4c’s…Probably not!

Musicians buy custom earphones because they play live music and need to hear faithful reproduction, and they tend to mix their music through somewhat more sophisticated hardware… I doubt they buy these ear pieces to plug into their iPods!

(Although would Frank Sinatra buy these?)

And the Mac Donalds guy… really mate get a grip.  This is not a matter of comparing a Hamburger with a Steak dinner.
This is more akin to comparing a $50 bottle of wine from your favourite store to a $150 bottle.  Some people may feel that there is a real difference, but the rest of us would probably call them snobs!

Posted by boca on August 1, 2007 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

“I reiterate, Cheap earpieces destroy music… but there is no way you can tell me that a $1000 set is that much better for listening on your iPod than those you can get for $300-$500… No way guys.”

...says the person who probably has never heard a $1k set of phones.  I’ve owned the E4 and the UE-10.  The UE-10 is superior in every way and not just a last 10% way either.

Posted by Joe on August 1, 2007 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

“My credit card hasn’t arrived yet :( As soon as it has, I know what I’m buying.
And before anyone posts saying “$1150, omg too expensive rofl!!111”, remember, these aren’t for you.”

Posted by Danknee on August 1, 2007 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

Joe… Sorry mate, I respect your view but can’t agree.

Of course I have not listened to my compressed AAC audio using a $1000 customized earphone set, just as I have never bought a $150 bottle of wine from a liquor store and drunk it from a plastic cup.

I know you have spent a lot of money on your hobby, and I appreciate that.

Personally I do not believe that the passion I feel for the music that I love, would grow by owning this bit of technology.

If I felt that I could not enjoy music unless it was percieved to be near tonal perfection, I would be a very unhappy person.

Posted by boca on August 1, 2007 at 10:27 PM (PDT)

The real shame of it for me is that I would probably never even be able to try a pair of these to hear for myself how they sound. Sigh.

Posted by Tenchi211 on August 1, 2007 at 11:30 PM (PDT)

Can you say eargasm?

Posted by Anton on August 2, 2007 at 12:24 AM (PDT)

“If you have to wait for a credit card to show up to afford earphones, remember, these aren’t for you.”

Well, seeing as I just turned 20, and have only just started a job earning just over £36k, is it surprising I don’t have a credit card yet? They only take credit cards on their site, hence a need for one. I can easily afford them, thank you very much.

Posted by stadidas on August 3, 2007 at 7:13 AM (PDT)

boca - simply put, do not judge till you hear. All this “I doubt I will miss it going back to the E4’s, and it won’t be a big improvment” are all your assumptions. First of all, you have never heard them, second, no these aren’t for plugging into an iPod. If you plug your E4’s straight into your iPod, I don’t even know why you bought them in the first place. I know plenty of people who assume that music can’t improve after a certain threshold. There’s a reason why audiophiles spend thousands on speakers. And it certainly isn’t a miniscule difference.

Posted by Raphael on August 3, 2007 at 10:29 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >