Unions, supporters plan iWon’t campaign against Verizon iPhone 5
Several unions and lobbying groups plan to use the iPhone 5 launch to publicize a union contract dispute with Verizon Wireless. The Communications Workers of America, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the AFL-CIO are being joined by MoveOn.org, US Action, and Jobs with Justice to formally announce the campaign on Monday. Dubbed “iWon’t,” the campaign will ask Americans to delay upgrading to the iPhone 5 on Verizon Wireless until the company agrees to a fair contract with its workers. The group plans to conduct online and grass roots outreach, advertising, and leafleting at hundreds of Verizon Wireless stores starting on Tuesday, October 4th, which it believes—probably incorrectly—will be the launch date of the iPhone 5.
This coalition also aims to expose what it refers to as the “Verizon Tax Loophole,” describing the methods that Verizon is using to avoid paying federal corporate income taxes, and plans to lobby the government to force companies such as Verizon to pay their fair share in federal taxes while respecting workers’ rights. The contract dispute reportedly involved 45,000 Verizon and Verizon Wireless workers, who seek to protect their health care coverage and employee benefits.
- Bell Canada fined $1.25 million for posting of fake App Store reviews
- Amazon to ban sale of Apple TV
- Google launches Google Music Family Plan
- Daimler CEO open to future Apple partnership
- Nokia’s HERE Maps sold to automakers in $3.1B deal
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?