Unions, supporters plan iWon’t campaign against Verizon iPhone 5
Several unions and lobbying groups plan to use the iPhone 5 launch to publicize a union contract dispute with Verizon Wireless. The Communications Workers of America, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the AFL-CIO are being joined by MoveOn.org, US Action, and Jobs with Justice to formally announce the campaign on Monday. Dubbed “iWon’t,” the campaign will ask Americans to delay upgrading to the iPhone 5 on Verizon Wireless until the company agrees to a fair contract with its workers. The group plans to conduct online and grass roots outreach, advertising, and leafleting at hundreds of Verizon Wireless stores starting on Tuesday, October 4th, which it believes—probably incorrectly—will be the launch date of the iPhone 5.
This coalition also aims to expose what it refers to as the “Verizon Tax Loophole,” describing the methods that Verizon is using to avoid paying federal corporate income taxes, and plans to lobby the government to force companies such as Verizon to pay their fair share in federal taxes while respecting workers’ rights. The contract dispute reportedly involved 45,000 Verizon and Verizon Wireless workers, who seek to protect their health care coverage and employee benefits.
- Facebook planning Apple Music competitor? (Update: No)
- T-Mobile’s ‘Mobile without Borders’ offers Canada, Mexico coverage for no extra cost
- Google Play Music adds free, ad-supported streaming radio
- FCC to fine AT&T $100M for misleading unlimited data plans
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- Beijing police bust massive iPhone counterfeiting operation
- Report: Apple interested in BMW i3 as ‘starting point’ for its own car
- Nike to offer customers cash in proposed FuelBand settlement
- Apple Watch coming to Best Buy on August 7
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Apple pulls Nest from its stores
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Monk Magnet Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Just Mobile TimeStand for Apple Watch
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?