Unlocked iPhone 3G on sale in Hong Kong, China to get stripped down version?
Apple has unexpectedly begun selling unlocked iPhone 3G units in Hong Kong, amidst reports that mainland China may end up receiving a functionally handicapped model. Apple’s online store for Hong Kong is now offering both the 8GB and 16GB models of the handset unlocked, priced at HK$ 5,400 (~$695) and HK$ 6,200 (~$798), respectively. A description on the product page reads: “iPhone 3G purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8 to complete activation.” It is believed that this is the first instance of Apple offering the iPhone 3G directly from its online store.
Meanwhile, the South China Morning Post is reporting that Hon Hai, the manufacturer of the iPhone, is waiting for verification from mainland China to ship versions of the iPhone 3G that lack both W-CDMA (3G) connectivity and Wi-Fi. According to the report, China Mobile (long reported to be Apple’s carrier of choice for the Chinese market) is expected to build out its 3G network using the TD-SCDMA format, which is incompatible with current iPhone 3G models. The report goes on to state that iPhone units offered by China Mobile would have the W-CDMA stripped out so they could not be unlocked and used on competitor China Telecom, which is expected to use W-CDMA technology for its 3G services.
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 4 to developers, adds Apple Watch support
- Apple Pay coming to Canada in March?
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 3 to developers
- Apple ordered to turn over records in Canadian iPhone antitrust probe
- Apple releases iOS 8.2 beta 2 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 8.1.2, fixing missing ringtones issue
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple filing reveals executive compensation plans, earnings
- Report: Apple Watch battery life expected to be about 19 hours
- Apple outlines limited HomeKit support for non-HomeKit accessories
- Report: Apple agrees to accept product inspections from Chinese government
- IK Multimedia announces iRig Mic Studio
- NimbleBit announces Apple Watch support for Letterpad
- Apple acquires music analytics firm Semetric
- Apple terminates Crimean developer agreements due to U.S. sanctions
- Apple commemorates Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Lenmar Maven Battery Case for iPhone 6
- STM Studio for iPad Air 2
- VSN Mobil V.360 Camera
- Booq Booqpad for iPad Air 2
- Incipio offGRID Express for iPhone 6
- Incipio Tuxen for iPad Air 2
- Incipio Trestle for iPhone 6 Plus
- Urban Armor Gear Folio Case for iPad Air 2
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad Air 2
- Twelve South BookBook for iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I cancel or ‘unsend’ sent iMessages?
- Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Apple’s HomeKit
- Reorganizing files in the iTunes Media Folder
- Exchange text messages between two iPhones with no cellular data plan
- The Booths of the iProducts Marketplace at CES 2015
- Hands-on with CarPlay at CES 2015
- iLounge announces its CES 2015 Best of Show Awards
- Five Things to Watch for at CES 2015
- Last-Minute Holiday Gift Guide for 2014
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12