Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod | iLounge News

Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod

picAs discovered by MacMinute, Apple Computer has used the cover of Newsweek Magazine to reveal the newest generation iPod. White like the third-generation iPod, the newest iPod now sports a Click Wheel and thickness similar to the iPod mini, in addition to a six-line (3G iPod-style) black and white screen. In the original photograph (right, credit Newsweek via MacMinute), the screen appears to suggest that Apple has preserved the traditional iPod font and interface, but modified the menu structure to further simplify access to the device’s multiple features. Kudos to Steven Levy on securing the exclusive Newsweek article.

Update: Having obtained an advance copy of Newsweek’s iPod article, The Mac Observer reports that Apple will formally announce the new iPod on Monday, July 19, 2004, and notes that additional photos indicate that in addition to being thinner than current 3G iPods, it may also have a slightly smaller footprint. Check back with iLounge for additional photos and details soon.

« Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features

Mac: Podtender 1.0 released - drink recipes on your iPod »

Comments

Nice look, not as much difference as I would’ve expected. It’ll be interesting seeing the specs. My lovely wife bought me my first I-Pod last week (20g)  and I couldn’t be happer regardless of what gen it is. :-)

Posted by Horgs on July 17, 2004 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

I have a 40g and a mini.  I like the scroll wheel on the mini much more than the 40g.  Also, remember Apple bought 350,000 1.8 inch 60g hard drives?  I’m betting this baby’s got 60g of storage.  Anybody want to buy my 3g 40g??

Posted by dawntreader101 on July 17, 2004 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

Thinksecret are reporting that this iPod will be thinner than the current 3G model, and that could mean we won’t be getting a better battery. The 3G iPod was noticeably thinner than the 2G, and had less battery life, so its unlikely that this new thinner one will be better.

But on the positive side, Thinksecret are reporting that they will be cheaper than the current models.  There should also be larger capacity models.  Remember a while ago there were reports of Toshiba (?) building a 60GB drive?  Hopefully the 20 will replace the 15, the 40 the 20, and the 60 the 40!!!  They would have to lower the price of the mini, too, which has always been too high.

Overall its looking like a better deal than the 3G, except for the looks!!  I hope you’re right about the dodgy lighting dhp!!

Posted by jamesd in Australia on July 17, 2004 at 9:35 PM (CDT)

It figures. I buy a 3rd Gen iPod, and a few weeks later a new model is announces.

Posted by Jeff C. on July 17, 2004 at 9:43 PM (CDT)

What a great thrill it would be if Mr. Jobs would allow us to trade in our old iPods at the apple store for money off of the new ones.  If this think has any drastic new features I will be very angry…

Posted by tinytim on July 17, 2004 at 9:45 PM (CDT)

I must say, that is a very bombastic upgrade.  I like it.

Posted by Shrek on July 17, 2004 at 9:47 PM (CDT)

My god we can only dream my friend….

Posted by Jeff C. on July 17, 2004 at 9:47 PM (CDT)

“I like the 3G’s buttons better than the click wheel.

I wonder:

A) if it will have a bigger, better battery.

B) If you will be able to replace the 3G’s battery with this bigger, better battery.

By Cameron on Jul 17, 04 8:21 pm”

You took the words out of my mouth Cameron.  Currently, I don’t think that there will be much of a big difference between the 3G and 4G iPods.  Same with the 2G and 3G iPods, mostly improvements on the looks of the unit, functionality remains the same.  Apple has a solid design for the iPod, it is hard to improve on a design that is already solid.  Sure video playback and a color screen would have been nice, but then the unit would have cost $600 and only had a 4 hour battery life.  If the 4G iPods have a 12+ hour battery life then that would be a giant improvement.  I would consider selling my 3G 40 GB iPod if I could get a 40 GB 4G iPod or even a larger capacity with a larger capacity battery.  All I can say is that I am excited about the release of the new iPod and iMacs.  I am expecting the announcement of new PowerBooks in the next couple of months as well, it seems that Apple is upgrading everything else, they might as well update those.  Can’t wait!

Posted by kornchild2002 on July 17, 2004 at 9:51 PM (CDT)

Color screen means increased cost and it’ll suck more battery life.  Honestly, after the initial period of having album art on the ipod, how much are you going to look at it?  Personally, my ipod spends most of it’s time in my pocket, and last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to see album art in your pocket.  I bought an ipod for music, and not for games or other crap.  Occasionally, I’ve pulled it out to play a game, but we’re talking minutes here.  If I want games, I’ll buy a game boy.  I love my 3g, and from the looks of it, there doesn’t look like anything that would make me want to think about trading up.  Smaller to me doesn’t matter because I think the ipod is plenty small, but that’s probably because I used to cart around the original Creative Jukebox.

Posted by Tim on July 17, 2004 at 9:57 PM (CDT)

Yeah… I was playing with the clickwheel on a mini in the Apple store and, personally, I dont like it as much as the 3G layout. So I’m glad I bought my 3G last week :)

As for the redesigned menu, maybe they will release it as a firmware upgrade for the older models. Who knows!

Posted by ~tl on July 17, 2004 at 10:01 PM (CDT)

I happen to agree with the comments made above. I don’t think I would want to trade my 3rd Gen in for a 4th, unless the 4th gens are honestly that much better. What I would want personally would to be to get some money from a 3rd Gen price drop lol. 4th Gen is really going to have to wow me for me to think about selling or possibly trading in my 3rd.

Posted by Jeff C. on July 17, 2004 at 10:02 PM (CDT)

i want just ONE thing with this new 4G iPod—better battery life.

if it beats the 6/7 hours of my 3G, i’ll buy it. if not, forget it.

also, the ability to replace the battery would be great…wishful thinking.

Posted by biznotch on July 17, 2004 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

I wonder if this is the third part of the ipod puzzle. These ipods are the el cheapo version for under $149 that steve wanted to get out so bad. All plastic and 1 and 2 gig drives. So, maybe think secret was correct the big boy ipods are coming in august that are metal and these are just the ipod flash.  Who, really knows unless they have an advanced copy of the magazine. And then two weeks down the road steve could still surprise us. I am so glad that this doesn’t have a color screen. Black and white is so much easier to read than the horrible resolution on cell phone screens.

Posted by Robertino on July 17, 2004 at 10:13 PM (CDT)

macdailynews.com rumor reports: 20GB iPod $249, 40GB iPod $349, 60GB iPod $449. same contents as current boxes.

Posted by whoa on July 17, 2004 at 10:27 PM (CDT)

I wonder why they made the wheel grey?  A white click wheel would have looked so much more better. There was nevera problem with visibility of the buttons on the face of the iPod.

Posted by bm on July 17, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

New iPod looks ugly compared to 3rd gen, but I know that’s probably because I have a 3rd gen.

I think that unless they have much bigger HD/battery life And LOTS of firmware fixes, it’s not worth it.

I just hope that the firmware is compatible with 3rd gen so we can get more features

Posted by Prashant on July 17, 2004 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

Hey guys…the article is online you know ;). No pics of the new iPod, though.

Posted by edeab220 on July 17, 2004 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

i wonder if the back is still shiny metal or if the entire iPod is acrylic.

Posted by Tom Walsh on July 17, 2004 at 10:46 PM (CDT)

Of all the “what ifs” mentioned about the new iPod, no one has made the speculation of possible Bluetooth features. Wouldn’t that be something to sync your pod without connecting, talk about on the go…

Posted by jonyem in Port Angeles, Washington on July 17, 2004 at 11:14 PM (CDT)

another pic

Posted by unknownsoldier on July 17, 2004 at 11:19 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›