Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod | iLounge News

Update: Apple unveils newest generation iPod

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Saturday, July 17, 2004
News Categories: iPod

picAs discovered by MacMinute, Apple Computer has used the cover of Newsweek Magazine to reveal the newest generation iPod. White like the third-generation iPod, the newest iPod now sports a Click Wheel and thickness similar to the iPod mini, in addition to a six-line (3G iPod-style) black and white screen. In the original photograph (right, credit Newsweek via MacMinute), the screen appears to suggest that Apple has preserved the traditional iPod font and interface, but modified the menu structure to further simplify access to the device’s multiple features. Kudos to Steven Levy on securing the exclusive Newsweek article.

Update: Having obtained an advance copy of Newsweek’s iPod article, The Mac Observer reports that Apple will formally announce the new iPod on Monday, July 19, 2004, and notes that additional photos indicate that in addition to being thinner than current 3G iPods, it may also have a slightly smaller footprint. Check back with iLounge for additional photos and details soon.

« Newsweek highlights new 4G iPod features

Mac: Podtender 1.0 released - drink recipes on your iPod »

Comments

Wow. A new iPod. Great.

I myself am on my 2nd iPod, and I probably wouldn’t have replaced my first one if I wasn’t tossed into a pool with it in my pocket. My 3rd gen is nice, but I don’t really see the fascination.

Oh well, you guys have fun posting about another stupid iPod with an amazing controler thing.

Posted by Giefer on July 17, 2004 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

I think it’s cool. The click isn’t necessarily grey. They might’ve slightly greyed to make it more noticeable (so that people see that there’s a click wheel on the normal iPod). I haven’t tried the click wheel myself but I’ve only heard good things about it. Actually the first bad things I heard about the click wheel was just said by you guys. But you know what guys, Apple isn’t making a new iPod to necessarily get those who already have one to buy a new one. They do expect it to happen but they’re not going to rely on that too much. They want to get more iPods into everybody’s hands.
The 4G iPod will be cheaper than current 3G iPods (or so says Think Secret, and I trust them) so that more people will be able to buy it. The there’s the HP iPod which will obvioiusly come out after the 4th gen is released. It will cost less and have a decent amount of space. then there’s the iPod Mini for minimalists (like me (although I have a 15GB 3G)). It works, but only in theory. We’ll see what people think when it actually comes out.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on July 17, 2004 at 8:25 PM (PDT)

Okay Glefer, I will.

Posted by dawntreader101 on July 17, 2004 at 8:26 PM (PDT)

Do you guys realize that the circle wheel seems a bit transparent - meaning it might glow in the dark. I think that’s a great idea. I’m leaving my final thoughts of the 4g for when it actually comes out.

Posted by rishio on July 17, 2004 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

For Click Wheel versus Scroll Wheel discussion, see http://backstage.ipodlounge.com

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on July 17, 2004 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

pff, wifi is slow as hell… it might be fun for trading a song or two with a friend… but that’s going to hit battery life and make it larger… i’ll stick with what we have for now :D

Posted by arovane on July 17, 2004 at 10:02 PM (PDT)

the clickwheel is brushed metal. i bet that doofus that scratches the back of his ipod will be happy. yuk!

Posted by madonna on July 17, 2004 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

here:

3G’s look more snazzy.

Posted by madonna on July 17, 2004 at 10:16 PM (PDT)

engadget is clueless, the current ipod has a centered headphone jack too… and how would you click the buttons of a brushed metal wheel?

Posted by huh? on July 17, 2004 at 10:23 PM (PDT)

Not sure about the color of the Click Wheel; should be white, as to blend into the iPod.

Personally, I don’t think that iPod’s need color screens anytime in the near future. They consume more battery power, and are harder to read in the sunlight.

Unless an active TFT is used; which is even more expensive than the cheaper passive TFT tech.

Posted by Elithrar in Perth, Australia on July 17, 2004 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

I realize this is ultimately a matter of opinion, but from a usability and interface standpoint, ( honestly don’t see how anyone who has used both a 3G iPod and a mini for any length of time could prefer the 3G’s buttons. They’re overly sensitive and provide no tactile feedback. The first issue is enough to drive users to frustration—I can’t tell you how many times I’ve accidentally activated a button when handling the thing. And you can’t “control by feel” with them—as soon as you start feeling around for buttons, you start activating things. (I’ve owned every generation of iPod, and the 3G is the only one I’ve ever used the remote with, mainly because it was the only way to control it without accidentally activating the wrong controls all the time.)

The mini’s clickwheel is so much more usable and intuitive, IMO. Supposedly the mini’s clickwheel was so popular that Apple decided to use it for all iPods.

Posted by audio geek on July 17, 2004 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

No color display - birk…. Hope Apple integrated a card reader at least to catch up with the competitors. Most of us iPod users have digital cameras, and 3rd party add-ons are lacking of style, compared to built-in solutions, and make the set somewhat bulky.

Posted by black duck on July 17, 2004 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

I think that apple should instead make a wifi addon that clips on the bottom of the ipod. It should have it’s own little battery to power it. In addition - it should work on the 3g ipods as well - all with a simple software update. It doesn’t make sense to me for them to build in such a feature into the ipod.. increasing size, cost and reducing battery life.

Posted by rishio on July 17, 2004 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

You guys are all just a bunch of liberals!!

Posted by Just Kidding on July 17, 2004 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

The timing of this seems to make sense. With the mini about to go worldwide and possibly go into even shorter supply, they bring out a 4G that’s a little smaller than the 3G to take some of the sales pressure off. Plus, if the 3G’s are discounted, that also takes away some mini sales.

Posted by Mike W in Silicon Valley, CA on July 17, 2004 at 11:29 PM (PDT)

Didn’t newsweek use ipodlounge forums to source quotes for their article? Where’s the love for ipodlounge?

Posted by forums lover on July 17, 2004 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

Let me add to the hysteria…....

Perhaps HP will adopt the current design of the 3G ipods so Apple modified its main ipod line with this release.

It looks on closer inspection that the touchwheel is just grey to compliment the Apple grey & white look of the headphpnes, dock, iMac etc. It does appear to have a mirrored back - if you look at the picture closely you can see a definite colour change halfway on the edge of the 4G, which is too sharp to be just a shadow.

Funny how the 4 key (keyboard) is the $ button - 4G/$G

(don’t own an ipod at the moment)

Posted by crazyu on July 17, 2004 at 11:42 PM (PDT)

I picked up my 40GB 3G iPod about 3 weeks ago. Good thing I got TAP on it so I can just trade that #### in. Assuming there isn’t some “fatal flaw” in it.

Posted by PsychicRefugee on July 17, 2004 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

My initial reaction was what have they done with the beautiful scroll wheel. On reflection, removing the four button bar and combining it with the wheel would simplify an already straightforward menu even further. Having never seen an ipod mini in the flesh, would the new wheel make it harder to scroll quickly through large song lists etc?
Also is it just the picture angle or has it lost the chrome back?
Really pleased the colour screen idea seems not to be happening just yet, it can only mean compromising battery life even further. For the meantime, I love my 3G but a 60GB is on my wishlist for next year.

Posted by Lef on July 17, 2004 at 11:53 PM (PDT)

Liking the blue background but it does look like a Fisher Price child’s toy!

Posted by Trunk Guy in London on July 18, 2004 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 7 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »