Update: iPod 4G Audio Problems | iLounge News

Update: iPod 4G Audio Problems

Updating our earlier news story regarding headphone port static and hard drive noise problems in Apple’s new fourth-generation iPods, iLounge has remained in contact with Apple and our readers over the past several days in an attempt to help the company determine the nature and extent of the problems.

iLounge’s editors returned both of their affected 40GB iPods at Apple’s request for testing, and replaced them with two new 40GB iPods yesterday. One of the new iPods exhibits no problems. The other exhibits the exact same defect as before. This brings our internal total of tested iPods to five, two (one 20GB unit, one 40GB unit) without the static issues, and three (all 40GB units) with them.

Of the 158 responses we collected from our initial story on the defect, 85 readers posted the results of their own 4G iPod testing, and of that group, 54 readers (63.5%) reported no problems, while 31 readers (36.5%) reported the same problems we had found. While we emphasize that the results of our inquiry are comprised of strictly voluntary submissions from readers, and should not be taken as scientific or conclusive, they do suggest that the problem may be more widespread than we had originally hoped. For a full discussion of testing procedures, please click on the “More info” link below.

« JAVOEdge releases iPod mini LeatherCase

Apple releases iPod mini in Korea »

Comments

Firstoff, props to this site and the head administrator(s). I had been planning on purchasing an iPod for quite some time, finally bought a 3rd Gen. 40GB (btw, touch beats click ANY day, sorry, the click doesn’t cut it, at least for me). Very shortly after my pricey purchase, the 4th Gen. were released, I was somewhat disappointed that as soon as I finally fork up $500+, the same exact product I bought went down 50 simoleans. Anyway, now that I’m seeing everything that’s been going wrong with the 4th Gen. iPods, I’m quite satisfied with my product. However, the wheel does look promising for 5th Gen. Pods, hinting somewhere around a “Touchwheel”, possibly, that would just be super. Anyway, just want to say a quick sorry to all of you who are suffering from this epidemic of iPod disease. I’d also like to give a quick R.I.P. to my brother’s iPod. Sad story guys, he recently was in Toronto on a summer-ending vacation, and staying at a youth hostile (tight-budgeted, I know, I know, “If he’s tight-budgeted, why the heck does he have a 40GB iPod?”, it was a birthday present, okay, and this trip was VERY shortly after his birthday which makes it even sadder), shortly after his late-night venture, he returned to his car, only to find his front driver’s window smashed to bits, and nearly ALL of his worldly possessions stolen, including his 40GB birthday present, the car adapter I bought for him for his birthday, EVERY SINGLE ONE of his dvds, my recently purchased Weird Al Yankovic dvd that my mom bought for me out of her good graces, ALL of his friend’s dvds, my other brother (who happens to be handicapped in a wheelchair, and about all he can do is watch movies)‘s portable dvd player, his friend’s Gamecube, ALL their bags, and just about anything valuable in the car. Strangely enough, they left my sleeping bag and tent, the combination of which is worth more than a couple hundred, and they also pulled the tape adapter out of his 80GB Archos, but they left the Archos! Anyway, Apple said that there’s not really much they can do about it, unless whoever this guy sells it to decides to call Apple’s Customer Service and give them the serial number (which has been reported as stolen), until then, there’s not a dad blamed thing we can do about it. Sick, sad little world we live in, eh?*

*“Eh?” mocking the hoodlums of Canada, my apologies to you here who are from Canada who are good people, but what great hospitality to show to visitors, eh?

Posted by Andre - LA on August 19, 2004 at 4:27 PM (PDT)

bought mine day 2 of release from APPLE STORE and it shows me this problem. I didn’t know at first if it was just my iTrip doing it with the static and hard drive sound, but I sent it back and got another one with same prob. Even with the headphones so I just send apple a request for repair so I’m going from there!!!

L8er

Got iPod???

Posted by Dustin T. Moore on August 19, 2004 at 9:52 PM (PDT)

i recently bought my 40 gig 4g ipod in a mac store in Los Angeles. my ipod does not have static while changing songs but instead HAS STATIC WHILE ADJUSTING THE VOLUME. it does this with both the stock headphones and my sony headphones. it does this with any mp3 i havent tested it with AAC files.

pulling the headphone jack out DID NOT make a difference with either headphones and neither did the tape W/ a hole strategy

email me about this,
mondayonly(a)hotmail.com

Posted by Cameron B on August 19, 2004 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

No problems with my 20GB 4G iPod.

Posted by Brayeta on August 20, 2004 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

Just got my 40 gig. No audio problems. Im using some high quality headphones but I don’t remember the model number. I’ve also hooked my ipod up a set of decent quality speakers and didn’t notice anything out of the norm. I ordered my ipod on 8-10-04. That might help narrow your search for defective models.

Posted by Brett on August 20, 2004 at 3:44 PM (PDT)

I am lookng for contacts in china who i could purchase ipods from. email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by don piccardo on August 24, 2004 at 3:28 AM (PDT)

I bought my 40G in early August.  Used it lightly each day.  This morning:  fully charged, played 3 songs - ipod freaked - drive kept spinning, no sound, wouldn’t respond.  Finally, got it to shut off.  Called apple, they said to restore - tried that but got an error message.

Now, I am getting worried.  Need to call apple again.

Posted by Nicc on August 26, 2004 at 4:15 PM (PDT)

using 4g 40gb ipod for a few weeks… no problems, working well

Posted by fuoix on August 30, 2004 at 11:42 AM (PDT)

THE CLEANEST WAY TO KEEP THE HEADPHONES BACKED OUT A LITTLE:

Go to a hardware store and buy a thin washer that fits around the headphone plug of your headphones. This is much cleaner than the tape solution and should work great.

Posted by Danny Hochman on September 4, 2004 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

got a 40G gen4 ipod last tuesday 21sept. really disappointed with the defect ie, hard disc spinning (heard thru a shure e2c) and buzzing at beginning of track when in shuffle mode. Other than that, the sound quality is preferrable to me than my ihp 140. I tried the tape on the heaphone connection and it worked ok, but still.. with this price, I expect a much better quality with no defect.. Will contact an australian repair soon.. bugger!!!

Posted by myer_ipod on September 26, 2004 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

My 4th 20 Gig 4G ipod!!!  Kept going back, but they are ALL having the same problem!  I will keep this one, but I am NOT at all happy with Apple and their attitude.  The Tech told me that the people here, yes, here on this site… are nuts!  He said they like to waste their time and are insane.  Now I ask you, what do you call that kind of “support”?

All the units make whirling and stattic noise when connected through audio out on the PocketDock.  There is a lesser problem with better headphones out of the ipod headphone jack as well.  I think that there are several issues that are not related here and the “tape” will not fix it.  I doubt that Apple will do anything anytime soon.

Posted by Josef on October 13, 2004 at 1:17 PM (PDT)

Was having issues with the hard drive noise with non apple earphones - found the issue resolvable by not allowing the metal from the headphone jack to touch the metal case-

Posted by Jaime-Lynn in Miami, FL USA on January 26, 2005 at 7:17 AM (PDT)

The audio on my iPod 4G 20GB is fine, but there is a dent on the back right above the iPod laser etching. a few of my other friends have this problem, what’s up with that, apple? huh?

Posted by sergeantpress on February 11, 2005 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

my first 40 gb Ipod suddenly froze afther 6 months a very unhappy ipod face on the screen appeared. The first time it seriuosly frose up on me was during running. I even couldn´t reset the Ipod, but afther connrcting it to the computer and using the Ipod updater program I could format the disk and settings and start with a fresh ipod.
The second time it happend al of this didn´t work anymore and afther trying the usuall resets, enz. I went to the shop were I bought it: they shipped it to Apple. They couldn´t repair it and I got a new one.

Now. three months later this new Ipod doesn´t work anymore as well. It keeps resetting itself time afther time. Two weeks before it froze up one me for the first time, but a simple rest fixed that problem. I´m going to bring it back to the shop today. Hope they can fix it.

Marten

Posted by Marten Bunt on December 10, 2005 at 1:40 AM (PDT)

I bought a 4G 60G ipod on 2/25/06 at the Soho store.  It died on 7/18/06.  The problem could not be fixed and I was given a new ipod. On 8/22/06 it froze.  Thats two ipods in 6 mths.

Posted by Barbara on August 22, 2006 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

I have lots of static whenever I plug my IPOD into the computer to do a sync.  first thought it was the sound system in the computer, but was able to isolate it to the IPOD.

bill

Posted by Bill P. on March 13, 2007 at 11:38 AM (PDT)

Page 11 of 11 pages « First  <  9 10 11