Update: New Bose SoundDock for iPod features wireless remote | iLounge News

Update: New Bose SoundDock for iPod features wireless remote

picChristian Hieber of iPodFun.de, a German language iPod website, has learned more about the Bose SoundDock while attending Apple Expo Paris. The SoundDock dock acts as a charging station and features an IR (infrared) port for use with an included wireless remote control for the iPod. Pricing is set at $299 and is expected to ship October 15. Christian had a chance to demo the SoundDock and said, “It looks like a fine, well designed and powerful living room item. The sound is amazing, although there is no subwoofer, it’s okay with the bass. But it’s pricey. It works with 3G/4G iPods and mini iPods.”

While on stage at the Keynote address at Apple Expo Paris, Vice President of WorldWide Marketing, Phil Schiller revealed that Bose has developed a speaker system for iPod named the SoundDock. The photo to the right depicts a large rectangular speaker grill with an integrated dock for the iPod. Details about the new Bose unit have yet to be released.

pic

pic

pic

« iMac G5: ‘From the creators of iPod’

Griffin announces PodPod cup holder cradle for iPods »

Comments

where is my post

Posted by gabe on September 1, 2004 at 8:23 PM (CDT)

I just don’t get it. The iPod itself is the perfect wireless remote. It just needs a Bluetooth transmitter attachment. A wireless remote that doesn’t display the iPod screen so I can scroll through all my playlists and songs just isn’t that useful to me. I can just picture people holding the Bose remote 6 inches in front of the actual mounted iPod so they can look at the iPod screen to see what they are selecting. Absurd.

Posted by Ed on September 1, 2004 at 9:04 PM (CDT)

I just don’t get it. What are you whining about?  Of course you can get a cheaper system that probably sound better than this one. But where can you get one that docks with the ipod and has a remote like this?
I think that is the key thing here. Ease of use. I dont even see this system as a main one. It’s probably great for your bedroom or kitchen or whatnot.. If you can’t afford it? Well thats just too bad but i belive that bose has some R&D for this product.
People always talk about sound quality as if that grants a greater music experience. Spend the time discovering new music instead.

Posted by Jack on September 2, 2004 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

and to the person who reccomended etymotic, while they do sound better(and cancel noise better) than bose, they hurt like hell, and for the headache they gave me, id rather use a more comfortable headset, even if i am sacrificing quality… though i dont consider myself an audiophile either (if i was, i probably wouldnt be listening to a lossy format.. and i probably wouldnt use an ipod)

Posted by no name #2 on September 2, 2004 at 2:54 AM (CDT)

This will be mine to be.

Posted by JingYou in SINGAPORE on September 2, 2004 at 5:13 AM (CDT)

The design is boooooring.

Posted by Igor Addams on September 2, 2004 at 9:23 AM (CDT)

Bose bashing has become a sport for self-proclaimed audiophiles.  Audiophiles love to complain that Bose doesn’t present music as it was intended.  So if Bose uses some signal processing to enhance certain frequencies so that the “average” buyer thinks it sounds better, is that a bad thing?

Bose was never intended for the audiophile or component crowd.  However, Bose is intended for the average purchaser, which is a much larger segment of the population than the audiophile segment - by a WIDE margin.  Therefore, their products cater to that average buyer segment.  These people don’t want to pick out separate components, have to program many remotes, have to worry about hooking it all up.  If you have ever taken a Bose system out of the box and set it up, you will realize that it is EASY and SIMPLE.  And for 99% of the population, it sounds fantastic.

Yes, they do market their products aggressively.  Is this a crime?  If I ran a company, I could only wish my marketing activities would be as successful.  They don’t make any crazy claims, and they are very simple and straightforward.  Nothing irresponsible.

The average buyer buys Bose because, despite what some have said, they know they are buying quality.  Not only in the product, but in the way the company treats its customers.  Bose provides excellent customer service, and they stand by their products.

As for quality, pick up a wave radio for example.  The quality of the plastic, the way it is screwed together, and the weight tell you that it was not made cheaply.

Continued…

Posted by marc on September 2, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

Another reason audiophiles have always hated Bose is because their products are different.  While audiophiles blast them, they end up creating new categories of product.  Why is this?  Because PEOPLE LIKE them!  The whole sub/sat trend was started by Bose, and everyone copied them.  The premium radio trend was started by Bose, and everyone copied them.  The home-theater-in-a box category was built by Bose, and everyone copied them.  Now marketing may work to influence people over the short-term.  However, if the products don’t satisfy, then in the long-run it won’t matter how much a company advertises.  Bose has had strong sales of audio products for many years, and people are very satisfied with their purchases.  The adiophiles will crank and whine about a Bose system they “inherited” or “heard at a friend’s house”, while actual Bose owners continue to be happy with their purchase.

Audiophiles also talk about getting equivalent product at a much lower price than Bose.  However, most of the competing product they talk about are component based systems.  People are willing to pay more for an integrated system that is stylish and easy to use.  Do audiophiles appreciate easy of use and style?  Maybe a little, however, their really only concerned with performance.  So two of the very important buying criteria for the average consumer mean nothing to an audiophile.

The thing that annoys me the most is that audiophiles can’t just accept the fact that for some people, Bose is a great purchase.  The style fits in with any decor, it has a small footprint, and small speakers, it’s easy to use, simple to setup, and the company provides excellent customer service.  But audiophiles can’t let the masses be happy with their purchase.  They need to be “enlightened”.  So the audiophiles act like a bunch of religious fanatics trying to “convert” the masses.  Do you like it when a religious group comes to your door trying to convert you to their religion?  I sure don’t.  Well, audiophiles are basically doing the same thing in trying to convert many happy Bose customers who are quite satisfied with their product.

Do you think the middle aged non-technical man who purchased his Bose system will be happy with a complex component system that is much more difficult to use and difficult to setup, and takes up a lot more room?  They will want to find the audiophile that convinced them to switch and wring their neck!

Posted by marc on September 2, 2004 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

well said marc - my comments werent directed at stopping people from buying bose - but there are better things out there - obviously the marketing has been so well people are misinformed that bose is the best thing - thats where audiophiles chime in- its like ranting that ur ford taurus is the best sedan out there - of course people are going to chime in and say - wait ur misinformed - my bmw 540i will out handle & out class ur ford in every way - its on the basis of comparison - which many people have done here so far.  Bose has done well for themselves - dont forget the car audio - but all sakes and purposes - this bose ipod unit is ugly and most likely will not blow people away - be it the gadget accessory freaks will no doubt love this one

Posted by gabe on September 2, 2004 at 12:17 PM (CDT)

sorry for my poor english!

I just wanted to say that I just left Apple Expo 2 hours ago. This sounddock was the product that really impressed me . The price announced is too low compared to all the Ipod companions present at this exhibition.

Posted by dav3a on September 2, 2004 at 1:07 PM (CDT)

You guys must be stil in high school. Your comparisons are at both ends of the spectrum. You are comparing speakers and amps that are 10 times as expensive as the Bose products. Hmmm….B&W $5000 speakers aganst a $300 Bose product…ya that’s a fair comparison! Idiots!

Posted by Steve on September 2, 2004 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

Everyone saying Bose is crap doen’t say anything that proves their point. These people just have a hatred because of it’s marketing method. I wonder if majority of these people ever tried good quality Bose products. Yes, it is a little over priced but what isn’t? Ipod is. So is every other Mp3players and headphones. My uncle makes a living by recording. He seemed to love bose products, so is his clients. Everyone have a different quality of evaluating things. Some of these people don’t like bose products, but that doesn’t mean it is officially bad.

Try to have goods/bads for every things in your life. Don’t judge it by hatred. That goes with presidents election.

My 2 cents

Posted by AnalogBox on September 2, 2004 at 1:39 PM (CDT)

Well, being that I haven’t actually heard this particular unit, I’m going to wait for judgement on it.  Sound is very much a matter of taste and what strikes you as sounding “good”.

I like the idea and form.  I’m thinking that may be nice in my office.  I have an AirPort Express at home for my system and it does very nicely.  I am a big person on fine sound, but I’m not an expert.  I just buy what I feel sounds good to me and what’s proven to be reliable to me.

If this unit sounds good and is at a price I can afford, I think I’d rather like to have that in my office for my work day.  If it’s not, then I’ll pass.  Easy as that!  :-)

Posted by Mike on September 2, 2004 at 4:02 PM (CDT)

thats what im talking about marc..and steve..no ones comparing 5000 speakers with bose speakers…dont call us idiots. again…who cares..people will prolly still buy this product and love it for what it is…a portable speaker system with a dock. you go over to ur friends house and he has 300 dollar panasonic home theater in a box set up…well good for him, at least he isnt
listening to movie sounds through his tv…you go to the gym..and people arent wearing shures and etymotics…and theyre jsut simply listening to the radio..wow, good for them because they can appreciate music…i remember 10 years ago, i bought a discman…and it provided the best sounds i had heard…all with the headphones that it came with…come on, dont bash bose. if you do, ur gay.

Posted by danta on September 2, 2004 at 7:35 PM (CDT)

Auditioning my uncle’s Bose 901’s (their high-end offering) coming from my system is like having fecal matter thrown in your face. Aside from a total lack of deep bass and extended highs there is a slushy muddy imprecise soundstage that drove me nuts whereever I placed the speakers.

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE.

Go to any reputable audio site and they can help you assemble a superior system for less money.

Stick with the audiophile stuff, don’t listen to the posers who think they know a thing or two about good sound while defending Bose. Bose has absolutely no redeeming values other than possibly the headphones which I have not auditioned.

Posted by Jason on September 2, 2004 at 7:54 PM (CDT)

i drive a ford cuz i can, even tho toyotas are better…i eat mcdonalds cuz its there, even tho subway is healthier…i wear abercrombie cuz its cool, even tho its quality isnt even good…and i use the ipod cuz its stylish even tho some other players produce better sound outputs. perhaps ill try this product out…because its the first and only speaker system with a dock and a remote for the ipod.

Posted by kaia on September 2, 2004 at 7:55 PM (CDT)

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE.

Posted by Jason on September 2, 2004 at 7:56 PM (CDT)

When I heard about this announcement I was genuinely excited in that I thought hey hear are quality portable speakers that I can use with an iPod.

I already plug my iPod into my stereo so cable is fine for that.  But when on holiday the house we had had no outlets and so my iPod was of no use with the family.  The only option in this event is Altec Lansing, and I thought Bose had bought out a quality alternative.

I couldn’t care less about the debate on the relative merits of Bose, just where does this product fit into the market. - I think it is too big to be portable.

Posted by dont sue me on September 3, 2004 at 6:39 AM (CDT)

To me it looks like a lot like the B&O BeoSound 1 which I’ve listened to and think sounds pretty good. I’m the first one to admit I’m no expert but I think Bose makes products for the masses, not the audio elite. Stuff that (at least to my ears) seems to deliver a very respectable sonic experience. They are admittedly more expensive but seem to be pretty much bulletproof and will last a long time. Seems that all the self-proclaimed “audio experts” that chime in are very biased against any and all Bose products. Some, apparently, to an unhealthy extreme. To all those Bose-bashers all I can say is perhaps an old saying holds true here…
Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one, we just don’t want to hear EITHER of yours.
That said, pardon my gas.

Posted by Der Kommisar on September 3, 2004 at 7:34 PM (CDT)

I would pass on the Bose SoundDock.  I think the JBL Onstage is a better value and they don’t pretend to be anything but what that can be given the limitations of the formfactor:  great sound for the size and convenience with certain compromises.

As a 100+k flyer, I have to say I love the Bose noise canceling headphones.  Off an airplane, they are not my choice, but I haven’t found anything better at cruising altitudes . . .

Posted by Marcus Brandybuck on September 4, 2004 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

Page 4 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 >