Update: New Bose SoundDock for iPod features wireless remote | iLounge News

Update: New Bose SoundDock for iPod features wireless remote

picChristian Hieber of iPodFun.de, a German language iPod website, has learned more about the Bose SoundDock while attending Apple Expo Paris. The SoundDock dock acts as a charging station and features an IR (infrared) port for use with an included wireless remote control for the iPod. Pricing is set at $299 and is expected to ship October 15. Christian had a chance to demo the SoundDock and said, “It looks like a fine, well designed and powerful living room item. The sound is amazing, although there is no subwoofer, it’s okay with the bass. But it’s pricey. It works with 3G/4G iPods and mini iPods.”

While on stage at the Keynote address at Apple Expo Paris, Vice President of WorldWide Marketing, Phil Schiller revealed that Bose has developed a speaker system for iPod named the SoundDock. The photo to the right depicts a large rectangular speaker grill with an integrated dock for the iPod. Details about the new Bose unit have yet to be released.

pic

pic

pic

« iMac G5: ‘From the creators of iPod’

Griffin announces PodPod cup holder cradle for iPods »

Comments

I would pass on the Bose SoundDock.  I think the JBL Onstage is a better value and they don’t pretend to be anything but what that can be given the limitations of the formfactor:  great sound for the size and convenience with certain compromises.

As a 100+k flyer, I have to say I love the Bose noise canceling headphones.  Off an airplane, they are not my choice, but I haven’t found anything better at cruising altitudes . . .

Posted by Marcus Brandybuck on September 4, 2004 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

My dad can beat up your dad!

Posted by robbie on September 4, 2004 at 6:10 PM (CDT)

BOSE = APPLE!

People complaining about Bose marketing savvy and pervasiveness aren’t acknowledging that Apple is doing the exact same thing with the iPod.

Like Bose iPod has best form factor and ease of use.  But, also like Bose, iPod is outperformed by many other MP3 players on the market when it comes tom a variety of specs and fidelity.

People buy iPods because of marketing hype.  People buy Bose because of marketing hype.

Bose and Apple are a match made in heaven.

End of story!

Posted by Big Sid on September 5, 2004 at 2:12 AM (CDT)

quite fun to read all self-proclaimed audiophiles bashing bose…I actually doubt they’ll make the difference in an a/b test…Anyhow, ‘good sound’ is subjective. Bose is fine for people who want ‘good sound’ (ie well defined and spacious, and in most case without distortion) and are willing to pay for that +the brand. arguably overpriced, yes…but not trash for sure. anyone in the market for sound should just go out and make up their own mind. i happened to listen to their new system for ipod in paris and, it may not be the best ever audio experience in my life, but it is just way better than any other all-in-one system available for the ipod.

Posted by pietro on September 5, 2004 at 11:01 AM (CDT)

Ah ah ah this is the most ridiculous thread i’ve ever read, all these audiophile people who of course knows better than the other are realy listening to mp3 with an iPod !!! you’re so funny… Take a dictionary and learn what is an audiophile :-)
And don’t forget to mention your equipement because it’s very interresting, you might also mention your car and the size of your house uh ?

Posted by Jerome on September 6, 2004 at 2:48 AM (CDT)

This thread has long since left the realms of actually talking about the product. What we’re talking about here is a product that allows you to take your iPod on holiday and share your tunes with everyone. It only needs to be small, light, good on batteries and sound reasonable.

I’ve heard and the Altec Lansing inMotion and wasn’t blown away so lets see if Bose can do any better and then worry about the price.

Posted by John on September 6, 2004 at 8:36 AM (CDT)

“you’ve obviously never heard anything through a good bose system. Go buy go buy some Sonys and bump them from an RCA receiver and leave the quality to another.”

Bose is overpriced. I don’t think anyone is claiming that Sony is better (well price-wise maybe). Compare Bose to KEF, Meridian, Naim, Arcam (I’m a Brit) and the value for money of the Bose is appalling.

Too many people claim to know of quality audio and yet know nothing beyond Bose and B&O.

This is a lifestyle (style being the important part of that word) accessory and nothing more, but then the iPod is not an Audiophile accessory either. It is again, lifestyle. The Bose will do for those that want something that looks well made.

Posted by bob on September 9, 2004 at 6:18 AM (CDT)

Bose is awesome! I am a complete audiophile and Bose is the best there is. Bose is just like Apple computers, you get what you pay for, high quality! Great highs great lows, must be Bose. All you people who don’t want to spend a lot of money on Bose, how about you actually do it for once, and listen to the speakers, you’ll be amazed.

Posted by Chris Christensen on September 11, 2004 at 4:10 PM (CDT)

Im sure it wiill sound the pimp, just as all the other equipment does

Posted by Barry Heron on September 16, 2004 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

ok, ok, ok.  Ladies please put them handbags away.  So we are all exactly the same as each other arnet we????

Thats right children, everyone’s hearing is completely different to everyone elses’.  You may well have had a bad experiance with Bose in the past.  Is that any reason to ruin other peoples objective before they even hear it.

If you are wondering what audio product to buy folks, don’t listen to the jumped up, opinionated ‘audiophiles’!  If you are buying an audio product for you then surely the ultimate test is your own hearing, your own environment, your own style of music and surely your own opinion.  Which is why Bose will give you a home trial period to make sure its the right product for you.

To make this seem less like a rant at certain bose haters on this website.  I am a fully qualified sound engineer.  I run my own recording studio and am a singer in a band with 12,000 releases sold so far.  Does that qualify me to have an opinion? good because thats all what the people posing as sound gods have.

Listen to it.  Does it sound good?  THEN BUY IT AND STOP WASTING PEOPLES TIME>

Thanks

Posted by educatedunlikemostofyou on September 18, 2004 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

I normally avoid discussions dominaed by adolescents, but thought I would point out the obvious.  The people who are griping about the SIZE of the SoundDock did not read the specs.  It is somewhat smaller than the average speaker array.  Instead of reading the specs, these guys LOOKED AT THE PICTURE.  I think one can extrapolate quite a bit about their opinions from that failure to use good sense.

Posted by Mac Veteran on September 20, 2004 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

Aaargh, I’m so sick of hearing “you can get much better value for money than bose” etc!  If that’s your mentality, why didn’t you buy an iRiver instead of an iPod? Or better still a portable CD player and stacks of blanks?

Not everyone wants a 2 foot high component stack and 4 foot speakers.

Posted by Ginga Ninja on September 21, 2004 at 10:48 PM (CDT)

No highs no lows must be Bose
- the usual audiophile way of describing Bose.

Audiophile (me) shakes head in disbelief at some of those who claim to be audiophiles while saying anything good about Bose.

Posted by jonatan on September 22, 2004 at 7:27 PM (CDT)

Great sound, I heard it at a fair last week. No match for other iPod-dock speakers.
Why are yall bitchin about something you haven’t heard. Blahblahbla, Bose this, Bose that…just listen to the sounddock objectively and then give your opinion on the product!

Posted by Domesh on September 24, 2004 at 6:33 AM (CDT)

Some interesting commentary here.  I took a chance and ordered the SoundDock fully expecting to be disappointed and returning the product to BOSE fairly quickly.

I have to say it’s not actually bad for what it is.  Bose is much more successful in a product like this that, because of it’s size, is restricted to begin with in what it can do.

This is a much better dedicated box for the iPod than the InMotion system, which you’d expect given that it’s larger and more expensive.

In the final analysis it puts out music that is a decent analog of what’s on my iPod.  If we want to play the audiophile snob card, I use a Meridian Digital Theater with 7.1 surround for my main system.  Compared to that of course the BOSE is complete nonsense.  But for use at lower volumes, in an office or bedroom, it is convenient and does a respectable job.

I’ll be keeping mine after all…

Posted by Ray on September 26, 2004 at 3:18 AM (CDT)

Some interesting commentary here.  I took a chance and ordered the SoundDock fully expecting to be disappointed.  Based on previous BOSE products I thought I’d be returning the product to BOSE fairly quickly.

I have to say it’s not too bad for what it is.  Bose is much more successful in a product like this that, because of it’s size, is restricted to begin with in what it can do.

This is a much better dedicated box for the iPod than the InMotion system, which you’d expect given that it’s larger, more expensive, and AC powered.

In the final analysis it puts out music that is a decent representation of what’s on my iPod.  If we want to play the audiophile snob card, I use a Meridian Digital Theater with 7.1 surround for my main system.  Compared to that of course the BOSE is complete nonsense.  But for use at lower volumes, in an office or bedroom, it is convenient and does a respectable job.

I’ll be keeping mine after all…

Posted by Ray on September 26, 2004 at 10:58 AM (CDT)

I just received the Bose Soundock and have been demoing it all day. I can tell any of you out there interested, without ANY hesitation, that this is BY FAR THE FINEST portable IPOD speaker system yet developed. I also have purchased the Altec Lansing INMOTION unit AND the Cambridge Soundworks Mick Fleetwood Model 12 satellite system, as well as own the old Bose Roomate self powered system in the big case, with 12 volt battery system, so I feel i am qualified to comment.

Comparatively speaking, the Altec system is not even in the same universe with the Bose Soundock, so I won’t waste your time with that commentary. THe Cambridge Soundworks unit is an amazing, hi performance, satellite system with subwoofer. Highly recommended for those that don’t mind taking the system out, hooking it all up, etc…. very portable, incredible sound from any source….

HOWEVER, that being said…. this new Bose system has several advantages…. it can be configured with most any IPOD, 3G/4G including the mini….. because it comes with several adapters to seat the IPOD in the Bose dock. Additionally, the Bose unit charges your Ipod…. and the RF remote control…. INDESPENSIBLE!!! and multi featured.

Now for the sound…. in a few words ... and again comparatively speaking .... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE….!!!! I am not a died in the wool Bose guy….nor do I work for them or any electronics company. I merely felt so enthusiastic about this product that, tho I almost NEVER post about products, felt compelled to share it with those that are looking for the be all and end all to date…. the BOSE SOUNDOCK is the real deal, regardless of its price…. I personally feel worth every penny!

The portability of this unit, the features, and of course, the incredibly crisp, clear hi’s and the amazingly clear and clean bass at ANY volumn, make this the clear winner to any PORTABLE system yet marketed, ANYWHERE….

If you want to use it for tailgating, simply get a DC / AC converter and you are all set. This unit makes traveling ANYWHERE with your playlists a breeze…. HI end, crisp, clear, big bass sound from an amazingly small box….

I am sure that some folks will think of this or that…. that they would like to see added .... that would be nit picking. The Bose Soundock is EVERYTHING YOU NEED!!! Truly the gold standard with which to measure ANY OTHER unit available of its kind to date….. 9 - 28 - 2004

Posted by Steve G on September 28, 2004 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

Here’s my 2cents.  I have a lot of money in my main audio system.  It is stereo, mcintosh, sonus grand pianos, velodyne, etc. etc.  I have been playing the upgrade game for at least 20 years, and have worked in high end audio stores.  I have owned just about everything once, including pieces by B&O and Bose.  The point is that high end systems will always sound better; you do in fact get what you pay for…up tp a point (I could never hear the difference between a $2oK system and a $50K system).  But real life is not a sound room unless you have the money and space to build one in your house.  AND, unless you have one, you won’t ever get the most out of your $15K+ system.  Real life is a common living room or living room/kitchen of various sizes, along a street, with other people living in the house, all contributing to ambient noise.  Real life is also ease of use, and accesibility, to music or movies or FM.  Yes, it is true that Bose and B&O and some others don’t sound like high end, but they are easy to use, instantly turned on and tuned in, and easily understood by others in your household.  I would NEVER give up my high end, and will keep replacing/upgrading.  That said I will always have something like a BOSE or B&O because they are at hand, easy, and sound better than much of the real crap out there that you can buy for less than BOSE.  Some examples of crap?  Sony 7.1 surround systems in Circuit City for $700, or most of the junk in Best Buy.  I just picked up an Ipod Sound Dock, and have been using it for 48 hours now.  Based on my many years of listening to electronics, I can say with conviction that it is NOT high end sound, and many will think they got ripped off, but truth is it is GOOD.  And it easily mates with the Ipod.  No matter what you buy, no matter how much you spend, the true test of whether or not you got your monies worth is whether YOU are happy with the product.  All BOSE is not crap, and not overpriced, some is. BOSE is easy to use, easy to listen to, easy to operate, and clever products.  The only problem I can see with BOSE is that there isn’t anything else like it to compare it to.  That makes them an easy target for people that don’t have more than enough money to buy BOSE, but not enough money to buy into the high end.

Posted by Audio Nutcase on September 30, 2004 at 9:17 PM (CDT)

My wife had a sounddock waiting for me when I got home today.

It sounds great.

Posted by brad on October 5, 2004 at 7:11 PM (CDT)

I dunno this looks cool but how much

Posted by william lunn on October 8, 2004 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

Page 5 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >